Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
    Status
    User ID

Post The minimum requirements S13 road car

After much deliberation on how to start I suppose a quick intro is in order.
    Currently have an e90 320d as a daily, '77 Mini that's getting a B16, nearly there with that one, and a Honda CRV as a trailer tugger that nearly lost its AWD to the mini. Last but not least the S13 200sx project.

October 2017 I moved into a lock up/ garage with a friend (jameshendricken) to work on my '77 mini. This has been a labor of love after originally acquiring a 1990 mini as my first car, failing to ever pass an NCT in it and it sitting in the driveway for years along with another 1980 mini, I decided to move on and get a pre '80 to avoid the pesky NCT and have free reign for engine swaps and cheap insurance.

As that project progressed I acquired a DC1 Integra with a b18 in it. With great intentions of putting the engine in the mini, cooler heads prevailed, and I ended up getting the Integra running and driving then selling it on to the lad doing bodywork on my Mini project. I picked up a b16 with an LSD box to put in the Mini so that was her boxed off. So with the build cost on the mini covered and a small tab built up with the body-shop I decided to get my hands on a S13. The main reason for going S13 was pop up headlights.
    Most important button in the car...
    IMG_20180321_162238132.jpg

James having an S13 in the garage every day probably helped sway the decision somewhat and with words of encouragement, something to the effect of "I'm sick of working on your FWD non turbo Honda shit get a RWD and i'll help", my mind was made up.

Having watched him tear down and rebuild his own shell and only setting the place on fire once.... my confidence was high.
    IMG-20180212-WA0000.jpg

Decided the best bet was to get something rusty and learn a bit from it.
    s13.jpg

Status
    User ID

So February 2018 we took a spin down to Cork in the trusty work horse, a beat up CRV that cost €200 and nothing in the front window other then a Saint Christopher sticker to watch over us and keep the traffic core at bay. The plan was to drop off lower control arms to a lad just off the motorway, pick up the shell get it loaded with one engine in it the bonnet bumper and that in the jeep. Then on to another engine and box an hour on down the road. Then finally onto the second gearbox.

I know they say a goal without a plan is just a wish but this plan was a delusion from the start. A hour delay getting on the M50, roadworks on the M7 and a top speed in the jeep of just under 100 due to misfire/fueling issues made it a 6 hour drive down. We pulled off the motorway following directions we were given when we roll up on the Glanmire Garda Impound. Thought james was putting the shits up me but sure enough the gates opened, met the lad and got off without a hitch.
    IMG-20180329-WA0002.jpg

So in the pitch black I purchased my shell. The lad selling it was an absolute gent and reaffirmed my belief that Cork is the spot to be for mad builds and sound lads. (see the 1jz mini build if u don't believe me). He lifted her onto the trailer as the brakes were seized and showed his his collection of parts and cars, blowing my mind as to how one man can have so much stuff and maintain a marriage, while letting James take a RB20 and a set of BF Goodrich semi's for his troubles.
    IMG-20180222-WA0002.jpg
    IMG_20180220_123913888.jpg
    IMG_20180220_123920858.jpg
    IMG_20180220_123936957.jpg

The Ca18 and a few other bits were a half hour down the road at his house and it was on the way there the jeeps engine really started to struggle. Don't think we ever got over 40. Having loaded the engine and a few other bits we quickly realized we were pissing in the wind even trying to get all the parts he had into the jeep and car. We contacted the two other lads we were meant to meet as it was already 11:30 and started the slow drive home. Roll on 5am,15 hours on the go and finally got home.

Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

haha brilliant read Really enjoyed that and hoping to see more in the near future.

that button is the dimmer switch for the dash lights though, not for the popups. The popups button looks like this on a 180sx:

and like this on a 200sx as far as i'm aware (might be on the opposite side of the steering wheel as this image is from a LHD 240sx)

Status
    User ID

May well just scrap the car if that's the case....
    Found a few buttons rocking round so took a guess.

Status
    User ID

So after a few attempts at getting back down finally got a date that suited everyone and made the return trip to collect the doors, bonnet, ECU, the second CA18 and the gearbox.
    IMG_20180326_115400270.jpg
    IMG_20180326_115420233.jpg

Again the lads i picked the bits up off were deadly, ended up selling the second lad the bonnet id just bought but got a few other bits off him like lightened flywheel and clutch set up with another engine thrown in the mix. this one an 8 valve out of a pulsar but with a similar bottom end to the CA18. (or so i believe).
    IMG_20180322_143937699.jpg

The trusty CRV missed all the way down and back, sounded like a heap of shit due to the back-box falling off but never let us down. Big thanks to Saint Christopher on that one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Status
    User ID

So onto the car.
    Yet to receive the book but "sure its in the post hai" as the man himself said.
    IMG_20180220_110151657.jpg
    IMG_20180220_102506499.jpg
    IMG_20180316_125614582.jpg
    IMG_20180316_125607467.jpg
    This was someones pride and joy at some stage so I'll keep my opinions to myself and let you lot decide what to make of it.
    If anyone knows the cars history or recognizes it I would be interested in seeing it in its glory days.

As it stands those days are long gone...

Came with a swimming pool in the boot and all sorts of creatures moving about in it including a hoard of wasps in the headliner.

Regretting not taking more photos of it in its initial state but was flat out with the mini at the time so it sat neglected in the corner for a few weeks.
    On a side note I'm well aware my camera skills are lacking but the shite quality isn't helped by the potato I call a phone.

Status
    User ID

Default Off to the scrapper

So it turns out the "minimum requirements" are chassis legs and other such bits... Who knew???
    Shell was red rotten and no amount of filler, expanding foam and newspaper stuffed sills was bringing her back.
    Getting it onto the flatbed she buckled in half and while iv taxed some fairly shady shit id never have been comfortable taking a corner let alone taking passengers.
    While I recognize very few people use the forum any more I have picked up a new shell and spent the past month getting a few bits done so will be documenting that build, more as proof of the work carried out on it for future buyers then anything else.

Photos to follow.

Status
    User ID

So having the photos on my phone is a pain in the hole. Haven't the patients to figure out how to put text around the photos like on the computer so may just expect a few photo dumps at the end of a paragraph untill I get my shit together.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Status
    User ID

Driver side was fucked. No point beating around the bush she needed more help then I was willing to give. Passenger side looked alright after cleaned it back so threw a bit of rattle can primer at it while I decided what to do..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk