Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Status
    User ID

Default 180sx CA18DET Drift Build

I had every intention of putting a SR20 or 1UZ into it when (Not if) the CA18 broke but I had a think about it and decide to just stick with the CA. I had everything there already set up for a CA and they’re dirt cheap so why not right? I picked one up for about 300 quid with a cometic head gasket and 140-150psi across all cylinders.

42.jpg

Status
    User ID

Before the engine went back in I decided to give the engine bay a coat of paint. Things got a bit out of hand and all of a sudden Everything on the front of the car was getting painted.

Before:

43.jpg

After:

44.jpg
    45.jpg
    46.jpg

Painted the rear panel

47.jpg

Status
    User ID

Had a slight fire while cleaning the engine. Pro tip: don’t had a ridiculously hot lamp sitting on an oil soaked engine while you’re spraying flammable liquid on it.Thankfully I had an extinguisher in the car.

48.jpg

Eventually got the engine cleaned up, bolted everything up to it and was ready to go back into the car.

50.jpg

Made a hydro bracket out of 5mm aluminium.

49.jpg
    20180202_184430.jpg

Status
    User ID

Installed the 5 stud setup before the engine went in. Picked up a set of extended s14 front lower control arms to suit the s14 front hubs.
    Picked up some cheap 5x114 wheels just to get her moving. Got some BF Goodrich semi slicks from a very nice chap down in cork. Friend of mine bought a 200sx off him and he threw them in with the deal. Need spacers on the front so I can get more lock.

51.jpg
    52.jpg
    53.jpg

Engine finally went back in sitting on solid engine a gearbox mounts.

55.jpg

Got the engine fired up and took the car out into the yard to a test drive and all went well. One or two small leaks but nothing major. I know where they are coming from.

57.jpg

As of today thats how the car stands. I have lights on the way for the front, a sandwich plate for the oil filter so I can add oil temp/pressure gauges, and a few small bits like fuel and oil filters and new tie rod ends.

I want to finish paining the rest of the wheels black too as I just don't like white wheels on white cars.

Will try and keep this updated. Hopefully have the car back out on track soon.

Status
    User ID

Nice build. I have to say I like the idea you kept the ca. You can blow up. Quiet a few of them for the price of an Sr20

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

Nice one! Ca18 is a grand engine and capable of plenty of abuse when minded. Parts are harder to find than SR but way cheaper in general

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    User ID

Liking this build! had a good few giggles whilst reading it too ha

Think its a cool idea to keep the CA! I used to have a 200sx for a while too and loved the CA in it, can take some abuse too (considering there is oil in it ha)

Click Project Thread
    Click HERE for my blog

Status
    User ID

Thanks for the feedback guys. Hoping to have the car ready for auto heroes in a few weeks.

Just a quick update on the car while I'm bored in work.

Fitted the new lights there the other day. Some cheap b&q brackets and some Epoxy and I had them on briefly. In hindsight the epoxy was a bad choice as it was too rigid and just snapped off. Bit of double sided tape held them on way better than the epoxy. You live you learn...

20180319_172915.jpg
    20180319_182801_001.jpg

There was a slight coolant leak which on closer inspection seemed to be coming from the water pump. So for the sake of 30 odd quid on Micksgarage I grabbed a new pump and a new thermostat while I was at it so at least the cooling system is all freshened up.

Now to address the slop in the steering. I swapped out both tie rod ends for new ones just for the sake of it as one side was totally wanked, or so I thought. To my joy, the slop was still there. So after a quick panic about thinking I needed a new rack I had another look. My drivers side inner tie rod was shot. Back to micksgarage so. I had nice Ikeya Formula tie rods on it but I couldn't find a replacement inner joint so I picked up an oem spec for 12 quid. Best bang for buck in my opinion as the s14s are around 3 times the price, and Id rather by 3 12mm inners at 12 quid and just wait until they all break. Kind of like the ca to sr thing really.

Steering is now the tightest I've ever seen on any car. very precise. Just needs good alignment now and it should be good for Mondello.

If anyone wants to see a few more photos and a few videos of the car my instgram is Jamesh2501. Give it a follow if you feel like.

Status
    User ID

You haven't given yourself enough credit here.
    From a back garden build, to 4 months of no lighting in the garage mid winter, to putting up with my fwd Honda/Mini related bullshit its been a struggle.
    Cars a credit to your hard work.