Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Status
    User ID

Default 180sx CA18DET Drift Build

Never done a build thread before so here goes nothing…

Started off drifting with a 323 e36 coupe. Had 2 or 3 very near misses at auto heroes a few weeks before I was due to do a fitness test for my new job so that was my queue to give drifting a rest for a little while. I sold the e36 and in February '17 I bought a uk spec 200sx. It came with a few nice bits on it like Tien coilovers and driftworks/ ikeaya formula adjustable suspension, a full turbo-back exhaust, over fenders etc.
    So that got delivered to my house the day I stared the new job which for the next few weeks was going to be 9-5 so all work will be done at the weekends.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

On closer inspection the whole shell, being a uk spec, was full of rust. Time for a plan B…

4.jpg

Status
    User ID

I came across a relatively clean 180sx shell on facebook which had a full idc spec weld in cage and the front cut for tube framing. There was only minor surface rust on it with no structural rust at all. Managed to pick it up for a few hundred quid.

5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg

I transferred the doors and boot lid across from the 200sx to get the interior water tight. I then got to work treating the rust in the engine bay and with some light sanding I had the rust gone and gave it a quick lick of Halfords appliance white.

8.jpg
    9.jpg

Last edited by jameshendricken; 11-03-18 at 01:02.

Status
    User ID

I started working on getting the shell rolling. I dropped the rear subframe out of the 200sx in one go and wheeled it up to the 180sx thinking it would be a straight forward bolt on affair. It was not. The subframe had aluminium bushings and with all the arms and hubs still on it made it a nightmare to line up and manoeuvre into place but after a full Saturday I managed to get the rear subframe finally bolted up.

8.jpg

On the sunday I pulled the full front running gear out of the 200sx. I just dropped the engine down on the subrframe with everything attached. Bit awkward lining everything up but worked much easier than the rear.

11.jpg
    12.jpg
    13.jpg
    14.jpg

Status
    User ID

Picked up a body kit for it, painted the roof black and picked up a set of +25mm front wings.

15.jpg
    16.jpg
    17.jpg

Big dirty front mount and braided clutch and brake lines.

18.jpg
    19.jpg

Status
    User ID

Picked up a welded 3.6 (I think) diff and shafts.

20.jpg

Tracked down a clean bonnet in matching white. Painted up the body kit and blue door to match up with the rest of the car.

21.jpg
    22.jpg

Cars loaded up to be sent to Andrew Kenna (Cant recommend enough) to get the tube front end done. Got him to fit the bonnet pins and modify and fit the exhaust while he had it there.

23.jpg

Picked up a five stud conversion. S14 fronts and r32 rears. Front knuckles modified of course!

24.jpg

Status
    User ID

Car came back from Andrew Kenna and It was looking More like a drift car. Couldn’t have been happier with it.25.jpg
    27.jpg
    28.jpg
    29.jpg
    30.jpg

Status
    User ID

Made up some brackets for the rear anti-roll bars and a switch panel.

31.jpg
    32.jpg

Status
    User ID

Booked in for the drift games bash to give myself a deadline for the car to be finished. It was a financially tight few weeks leading up to drift games. Spent every cent I had getting the car ready. Had a few late nights but I got there eventually. Very proud of myself considering it was only a bare shell only 6 months before hand and having only weekends to work on it.

33.jpg
    34.jpg
    35.jpg
    36.jpg

Status
    User ID

Day 1 of Drift games bash:

I arrived quite late and when I unloaded the car I realised I put the front anti roll bar open upside and spent an hour or so messing about with that. I spend a few hours ironing out any issues I notice with the car once I got there. All small issues.

37.jpg

Eventually got out on track and the car drove beautifully, Up until I ran out of talent a steered out of a drift and straight into the tyre wall.

38.jpg

Time to call it a day and get a beer…

Day 2:

I start bright and early. Took all the bits out of the drift car I was keeping in it overnight. In my slightly hungover state I got a bit too eager to drive and didn’t do any pre track checks. So turns out the CA18 doesn’t like being rallied around the place with no oil. Who’d of thunk it. I was just getting the hang of the car. Had the national loop all to myself. I was loving life, up until I heard the bottom end shit itself. So I did what anyone else would do and keep ragging the shit out of it. Sure its already broken right…

Status
    User ID

Time to pull the engine and check the damage. Engine was rightly fucked.

39.jpg
    40.jpg

All those unburnt tyres is a sad sight!

41.jpg