Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
    Status
    User ID

Default E36 2.8 ongoing drift build

So this has been going on for nearly two years now
    I bought this e36 m50 325 almost two years ago with a stripped engine. Started gathering parts up last summer to put the engine together new gaskets timing chains rings etc but couldn’t get the time to put it together
    So bought an automatic e39 single vanos 528i and put its engine into this

Got some style 42s in the local scrapyard and put them on and was quite happy. Car was a 98 318is running an obd1 325.i put the 2.8 in with the m50 management/loom and intake and it ran perfectly,serious power right through the rev range. Car had some extra lock and a hydro,rear end also cut out when I got it. Fitted some cheap buckets and harnesses and an alloy rad and was quite happy to leave it as was and get some seat time in it

Unfortunately things didn’t go exactly as planned
    Took it for a test run down my (very narrow and poor surface) local road one quiet Saturday evening.back wheel caught some muck and send the car into a slide at around 40 mph, nosedived down an embankment into a drain and somersaulted onto its back and landed 10 meters further down in the drain on its wheels. Luckily got away with a few stitches and a broken nose but the car is wrecked

More to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    User ID

Do not to be discouraged the search was on for another. E36s seem to be getting expensive now but managed to get a straight clean 318is that hadn’t yet seen too much abuse
    It already has a welded diff so it’s just gonna get bucket seats and hydro put in for now until I gather the extra parts I need to put the 2.8 into it. Have almost everything but a few bits were wrecked in the crash
    As it’s a 318is I’m hoping it’ll have enough power just to get the hang of it
    Will need a little guidance on the wiring end of things as it’s obd1 management into an obdII car so all help appreciated

Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

HOLY SHIT that was some smack! glad you're ok I've never actually slid a bmw i don't think.

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by LarZ View Post
    HOLY SHIT that was some smack! glad you're ok I've never actually slid a bmw i don't think.
    Ah yeah could be worse if everything else wasn’t so expensive I’d probably stay away from the bmws tbh cos I’ve had a few and never seem to have luck with them

Status
    User ID

If you wanted a compact why didnt you just buy one ?

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Ptank View Post
    If you wanted a compact why didnt you just buy one ?
    it’s more exciting making your own one

Status
    User ID

Few bits done with this
    Engine removed from orange car and subframe so I can get the extra lock sorted out properly,it has been modified but could do with some more

Put some seats and harnesses in the silver car, relocated battery to boot in preparation for the m52,hydro mounted and plumbed in and steering wheel.seats are rough and ready but they’ll do the job for now.

Put on a set of style 32s I had from the orange car and a few msport mouldings help make it look a little more presentable.have skirts and a bumper too just need to paint them silver and throw them on it then.
    Have to get an alternator sorted this week,there’s a slab open this week end near me so hopefully get to that and get the hang of it a bit and make sure it’s running ok,and hopefully sell the 318is engine and ancillaries as a conversion. Will keep it updated

Status
    User ID

So had it out on a Slab for a day bitta craic and some practice and it never missed a beat,the little 1.9 was absolutely loving it
    Sold the m44 as a full conversion without any issues so that came out last Sunday and headed for Clare
    So with that out started working on getting the m52 ready to go in.few broken bits had to be changed and still waiting on a power steering pump pulley. Modified the knuckles for extra lock and put in some rack spacers,wishbones from the orange car were already modified but outer ball joints were passed it,so dropped the off to get some new ones pressed in. Stuck at it tonight anyway and got the 6 pot put into place

So now it’s just plumbing and wiring,all little bits,fit the wishbones roll the arches etc. all that’s left to buy are a couple of exhaust flexis,water jackets and some electric fans.trying to keep this cheap,reliable and simple and all going well get a nice bit of seat time over the summer.the to do list is getting smaller

Status
    User ID

Almost a shame to drift it..almost
    All done anyway apart from an occasional lumpy idle/not starting fault which we think is a faulty crank sensor which is looking quite bet

So anyway, it has received the typical bmw extra lock mod, drift works rad and a 16” electric fan,m3 skirts and bumper from the orange car got a very quick tidy up and silver paint and it’s now good to go,first outing this weekend the fun starts now...