Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

Default LarZ's ps13 reinCARnaton - see what i did there?

My ps13 has served me amazingly as a road car for the bones of 2 and half years. It came a long way over the years and was parked up about a year ago when the ugly duckling 180sx came around. Then that ate all my money.

With the to and fro of a car build, i had the majority of the parts i needed for a 2jz conversion on the ps13 but abandoned that idea close to crunch time as the costs mounted up so so high and i just couldn't justify it. I 'only' want about 350 to 400bhp. I want to be able to drive and enjoy this car. Yep, I want to be able to daily it. And keep the 180 too obviously. We can all dream

So i've started this thread to keep track of the timeline for the build. My camera's a bit shagged so there wont be many pics yet. I'll be keeping a spec list here too.

Basically we're going to see an n/a to turbo sr20 swap, manly wheels and a lick of paint...

SPEC to date (updated 09/03/2018)

***Engine and drivetrain***
    Sr20det non vvt red top
    Garrett 2871r turbo with aftermarket manifold and HKS actuator
    Exedy 3 puk clutch
    R180 two way diff
    Skyline engine mounts with solid spacers for S13/SR20

***Fuelling, cooling, electronics and exhaust***
    Nismo 550cc injectors
    Nismo fuel pressure regulator
    GTR fuel pump
    GReddy front mount and piping
    HKS SSQV Dump valve
    z32 afm, Apex intake pipe and filter
    Apexi powerFC with hand commander
    Japspeed turbo elbow
    Japspeed downpipe
    Kakimoto cat back exhaust
    HKS turbo timer
    Greddy Profec B spec 2 boost controller
    GKtech oil catch can
    GKtech oem replacement coolant overflow bottle

*** Suspension and wheels ***
    BC Coilovers
    hard race tie rods and tie rod ends
    aftermarket Camber/toe arms
    Front wheels are 15x9jj ET+7 Work Equip 03
    Rear wheels are 15x8.5 ET+3 Work Equip 03
    Toyo Proxes T1-R 205/55/R15

*** Body/Styling ***
    Brick headlights
    OEM bumper and side lights
    OEM rear lights
    OEM brown glass all around
    OEM chuki 180sx side skirts
    Bomex rear valance
    OEM Aero front bumper
    Color: two tone FG0/463 OEM Silver Green Pearl over Dark Gray Metallic
    Full underseal

*** Interior ***
    S15 front seats
    180sx kouki rear seats
    OEM s13 silvia mats
    Nardi suede deep corn
    NRG Quick release and short hub
    OEM Non Smoker Box
    Fly off handbrake button
    Nismo gearknob

*** Other ***
    Alarm
    Remote central locking
    Immobiliser
    Original Toyo spare tyre (probably not worth putting on but super cool)

Last edited by LarZ; 02-12-16 at 13:43.

Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

First things first, i need an engine. WRONG... Big turbo... Bought myself a 2871r with actuator, manifold and a turbo elbow that came with it. That'll go nicely with the Apex'i PowerFC, brand new z32 AFM and nismo 550cc injectors that I picked up. I picked all of those up about 3 or 4 months ago and they were originally meant for the 180. But i love how the 180 drives too much to mess with it.

Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

Then i went about sourcing an engine. The powerFC i got was a for a red top so that's what i set about looking for. I had had my eye on one in particular and was nearly tempted before. Apparently it had had cams done but i'm not banking on that. I haven't opened it up yet. It came with an s14 turbo and manifold, and also with an exedy 3 puk clutch and flywheel. It has been sitting for a few years but was making over 300bhp with that setup before.

The plan is to give that a freshen up, replace the bearings, bigger head gasket, new seals and gaskets and all that shite that i know nothing about but darren coates does know about so he'll be taking care of that for me as well as making sure i wont need to take the engine back out for a long time.

Other bits that i've picked up for the engine include a nismo FPR, a GTR fuel pump that i'm yet to pick up, and a brand new japspeed downpipe. Also have an o2 sensor. Bought a brand new GReddy FMIC off pepster on here. Plenty more bits needed but the back is broken on it...

Status
    User ID

Good stuff man. I hope it all goes to plan...

Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

So do I I'm going to have a go at taking the existing engine out myself. I've got an engine crane coming this evening that i can borrow for a while. And I've one of the lads bringing me some big drums for my waste fluids. Also bought one of these bad boys:

I know, I know... But i'm an absolute novice with engines and working on them. I have no shame admitting it either. Might get a hand from a few of the lads but I really want to try doing a lot of it myself. Once the bay is clear i'll sent that off for paint and at least be in a position to get the new engine in place.

I know there are millions of lists out there, but does anyone have a good comprehensive conversion checklist to hand?

Status
    User ID

Dude great start ive a few bits I've to get yet myself. Taking the engine yourself is very possible plenty of zip lock bags so you know what goes where tippex certain plugs and sensors remove as much as you can. While it's out change seals and gaskets save you in the long run

Last edited by michealkirwan; 22-11-16 at 18:58.

Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

Yeah good advice on the zip lock bags! The engine is going for a refresh alright. I want it to be solid and not need to come out again.

Got the engine crane delivered today. Delighted with life. Must make a start properly though. I have the axle stands ready to go and all.

I may have purchased some Jdm as furrrrk wheels too. More on those when they arrive. Wouldn't mind an auld money tree if anyone has one handy...

Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

So I was all set to get working on this at the weekend, but real life got in the way. Not to mention the cold.

In other news, an order has gone in for a bitchin' set of brand new wheels. I'll keep the wheel choice under wraps for now though

Status
    User ID

Looking forward to seeing this!

Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

I picked up an Apex'i Auto turbo timer and a Greddy Profec B spec 2 boost controller for his a while back. The plan is to install these and whatever other electronics i need in the glovebox as i dont want to be looking at them all the time. I'll even be hiding the hand commander for the powerFC. I like power, but like OEM styling even more. I want as little crap cluttering my dash as possible.