Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
    Status
    User ID

Default IS200 budget daily skidda - talk to me....

So I had recently asked about Chasers and Laurels for 4 door skids but honestly its just out of reach financially right now - single income, 2 kids and a wedding in November.... just not going to happen right now.

I'm rocking a 1.8 RS MX5 and its fantastic bit its a couple seats shy of what I need in reality.
    So with a teeny tiny budget of whatever I get for the MX5 - I'd say €2,500 I'm looking at getting an IS200.
    Now before people start shouting its got no power - my aul lad had one for years so I know its asthmatic 6 cylinder is poor but needs must.
    But considering an SE is around a grand and the sport with lsd can be had for less than 2k its kinda where I'm at but I've an eye on the future so an SR20 or 1jz swap would the plan next year.

So tell me who's drifted one with standard power?
    I've seen some vids and it doesn't look terrible.

What would i need for skids - coilys, welder? extra lock?

Why is an Altezza so freakin expensive by comparison?

Advice and thoughts appreciated

They really are desperate underpowered, unless your very talented or very very brave you won't drift one.

Altezzas have shot up in value like most japs lately, like everything else it's getting hard to find a good one so prices are going up.

Tbh if I was looking at a cheap slider I'd scrape together every penny I can and get onto that turquoise 180 for sale on here, 10x the car an IS is

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by JordanCoupe View Post
    They really are desperate underpowered, unless your very talented or very very brave you won't drift one.

Altezzas have shot up in value like most japs lately, like everything else it's getting hard to find a good one so prices are going up.

Tbh if I was looking at a cheap slider I'd scrape together every penny I can and get onto that turquoise 180 for sale on here, 10x the car an IS is
    And thats the thing the Altezza is just way out of budget as is any sbody.
    It'll get a 1jz transplant next year but need to make sure it'll slide enough between now and then.
    I've budget for coilys and I'm going to get the sport with the LSD, induction kit and iridium plugs...
    This lad here seems to be doing grand on standard power https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA-s6QUNwBs

Last edited by Rochey; 22-03-16 at 08:17.

Status
    User ID

I had one with the lsd they are very underpowered but as with anything rwd they do drift with big flicks and speed but as for slow second gear drift not a hope. it's more sliding the car and using momentum then power sliding if that explains it. As for in the wet they drift fine and are a nice comfortable car to live with but are terrible on juice. In your price range a 320 beemer would be much much better but you'll have to have a welder or get an m3 diff plus shafts and stuff so there's a bit of hassle that way. Hope that helps

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by tomsheen View Post
    I had one with the lsd they are very underpowered but as with anything rwd they do drift with big flicks and speed but as for slow second gear drift not a hope. it's more sliding the car and using momentum then power sliding if that explains it. As for in the wet they drift fine and are a nice comfortable car to live with but are terrible on juice. In your price range a 320 beemer would be much much better but you'll have to have a welder or get an m3 diff plus shafts and stuff so there's a bit of hassle that way. Hope that helps
    Appreciate that fella - essentially what I expected to hear.
    What mods would you recommend?

Status
    User ID

I'd recommend not spending a fortune on it ha. Standard Altezza/is200 sport Lsd obviously but there not great too be honest they'll do the job but a welder is much better or if you could find a good 2way your laughing. They are really boaty so you do need coilovers and something to hold ya into the seat get a harness or go all out and get a good seat. To be honest I'd leave it at that. but start upgrading suspension arms and bushings as you go especially if your looking to do an engine swap I'd stay away from trying to get more power and just improve the things that will still be relivant after the swap locking collars for the rear subframe and solid diff mounts them bushes seem to give trouble. Oh ya and about 60psi in the rear tyres ha. Best of luck with it!

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by tomsheen View Post
    I'd recommend not spending a fortune on it ha. Standard Altezza/is200 sport Lsd obviously but there not great too be honest they'll do the job but a welder is much better or if you could find a good 2way your laughing. They are really boaty so you do need coilovers and something to hold ya into the seat get a harness or go all out and get a good seat. To be honest I'd leave it at that. but start upgrading suspension arms and bushings as you go especially if your looking to do an engine swap I'd stay away from trying to get more power and just improve the things that will still be relivant after the swap locking collars for the rear subframe and solid diff mounts them bushes seem to give trouble. Oh ya and about 60psi in the rear tyres ha. Best of luck with it!
    Sound advice.
    Service the hell out of it seems to be the only engine work worth doing.
    60 PSI it is