Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Status
    User ID
    Mitchelstown, where men are men and sheep are nervous!

Default My first drift project. Volvo 940 estate. Advice and ideas welcome.

So I've decided to get something cheapish for the track to learn how to drift properly.
    I've owned a few n/a rwd volvos in the past as well as an s13, a jzx81 mark 2 and an r32 gtst but never did more than a few donuts, the odd hairpin bend and some roundabouts.

I've always had a thing for volvos, a nostalgic thing i think as i learned to drive in my dads 740 gle.

Anyways i found this 1998 940 2.3 8v turbo estate with 155k miles and a fresh 12months nct so i snapped it up quick. It's a shame to track it as there isn't a mark nor a spot of rust on the whole car but i guess its best to start with a decent base.
    She's got the strong m90 gearbox and it was owned by an elderly couple for most of its life so being an lpt 'celebration' model, shouldn't have seen any great abuse.

The only things ive done so far are fit a hks superpower intake and strip most of the unnecessary interior out and it's already down 120kgs weight which surprisingly has really improved the acceleration. I cant imagine how it will improve when i get it in a shed with a grinder.

The initial plans to get it sliding comfortably:
    - "stage zero" ie compression test, service, fluid change, general heath check etc.
    - up the boost to around 12psi with a manual boost controller
    - weld the diff
    - bucket seat & harness
    - hydraulic handbrake
    - cut a couple of coils off the springs
    - double rear anti roll bars
    - change the steering wheel
    - 2.5" straight exhaust
    - strip alot more weight off
    - extra lock

Once i get the swing of things and fancy more power i'm considering a 16t off an s60 t5 (opinions welcome), a power chip, bigger intercooler, bigger injectors, better brakes, proper suspension upgrades, upgraded cam, lightened flywheel and a decent clutch. Apparently the standard engine internals and m90 box can withstand up to 350bhp so i wont have to go at them because 250 would be loads for me.

I look forward to hearing from other turbo brick lovers, all ideas, advice and tips are welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Dozzler; 16-02-16 at 17:15.
    Quote Originally Posted by pole drift View Post
    Jeasus you have a big knob!!! Poke an eye out with that thing!!

Status
    User ID

So last night i got the car to my friends garage.
    I started by stripping out the aircon system which i was expecting to be heavier but weighed a good bit all the same.

Then the exhaust came off. We cut it before the cat so a straight pipe can be welded on.
    May do a side exit just because its less work, less pipe, less weight etc..

The towbar and rear valance came off too. there must have been 10kgs of mud hidden behind it all.

Yes that's a cnc machine in the corner which will come in handy for many many things in this build.

While on the lift i noticed a steering fluid leak from the top of the pump and at least three engine oil leaks so I'm now considering full hose, vaccum lines and gasket replacements including the head just to maintain reliabilty for the future.. Can anyone recommend the best place to buy good quality replacement kits besides the volvo main dealers?

Picking up this seat, harness and sidemount rails tomorrow. I just hope we can make them fit..

Status
    User ID

Having discovered more than a couple of oil leaks typical of these engines, i think i'll pull the engine and box out, strip it down and replace all the seals, rubbers, pipes, hoses, leads and any other perishibles as i've bought a 16t turbo and may aswell have the engine dried up and cleaned before i fit it.. I might even give it a lick of paint.. :P

Decided i'm gonna put a full proper stainless 2.5" exhaust on while i'm at it as the loss of back pressure seems to have killed the power a bit.. plus i think a shotgun style tailpipe would look gas!

In the meantime i've trial fitted my new seat and harness. The existing rear mounting holes worked perfect for the rails but need to weld in steel for the front ones to bolt to. The harness eyes bolted straight into all the existing seatbelt mounts which was a plus!

Also picked up these wheels which after i have them banded and painted should look like the ones below. I like!

Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

This is deadly Keep it up dude

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by LarZ View Post
    This is deadly Keep it up dude
    Thanks man!

The 16t arrived today! I should've got some downpipe with it but i'm sure the exhaust shop quys will make it work.. I've seen a 3" v band welded to turbo outlet to mate with the downpipe which would be the best solution should i ever wish to go for a much bigger turbo..

Found another pic of a 940 with those wheels.. Anybody have any idea what the approximate width and offset might be?

Status
    User ID

That'll be a cool slider when finished dude.

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Really looking forward to how this turns out. Looks like your doing it right. Them steelies are perfect

di Member
    Status
    User ID

This is cool.
    Looks like he got an extra 3" dish up front and 4" at the back.

Status
    User ID

Finally got all the bits together needed to make sure we're starting from a good base..
    Full gasket and seals kit, head gasket kit, timing belt, tensioner and water pump kit.

Then after a bit of digging and research i got these few bits:
    Genuine 850R sachs clutch kit, m90 release bearing and b230 spigot bearing. Also a new slave cylinder as they tend to get hairy..

TTV lightweight flywheel made to take 850R clutch..

BC racing coilovers all round..

Due to lack of time I've given the car and all the parts to Mike at Deane Motorsport but being so busy with the drift season he still hasn't managed to get at it..
    He has however put aside a motec m4? ecu and has plans for changing the ignition to a coilpack setup and running gtr injectors as well as many other things i had never thought of and honestly don't quite understand. We've found someone local with a full extra lock kit fitted to their 940 so my buddy with the cnc machine will hopefully be reproducing them for me in the new year also..

Changed my mind on the styling too, gonna most likely go a bit crazy with arches, chassis mounted bgw and big fuck off drifty wheels but can't find insiration besides this one..

All i can do now is play the waiting game, hope to have some updates before the end of january..

Merry christmas to all!

Status
    User ID

Do you mind me asking what sort of money was the clutch and flywheel? Have a 940 myself and wouldnt imagine the clutch will hold up too long doing drift days