Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register

Default Idc engine placement rules

im looking some info about the rules on engine placement.
    its for a sierra and fitting a rb25 engine.
    in the rules it states the most rearward vertical point of the bulkhead, which to me in a sierra is behind the heater box.
    but before i go cutting i want to see is there any reason why i cant do this?
    currently with the engine in place in original engine bay it sits 4 cylinders in front of the front strut towers which is way too far forward.
    i have asked brendan stone this, but just waiting on a reply i thought id ask on here in the mean time.

Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

was gonna say get on to stone. I think they're all over at Autosport so might be monday before anyone replies. Unless you ask on Irish Drifting Community on FB

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by LarZ View Post
    was gonna say get on to stone. I think they're all over at Autosport so might be monday before anyone replies. Unless you ask on Irish Drifting Community on FB
    Like Larz said, better off waiting for Brendan to get back to you, he's scrutineer so won't lead you astray. It would be a guessing game otherwise!!!

Status
    User ID

Without Re-checking the rules the flywheel of your new engine cannot go further rearward than the vertical plane of the original flywheel

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by TorqueWorks View Post
    Without Re-checking the rules the flywheel of your new engine cannot go further rearward than the vertical plane of the original flywheel
    Yeah that's what I thought also.

di Member
    Status
    User ID

From the IADC/IDC 2016 Rules:

"The vertical plain of the crankshaft (where the flywheel bolts to) may not pass the original
    (OEM) most rear-ward vertical plain of the bulkhead. The vertical plain of the crankshaft is
    measured on the engine fitted to the competing vehicle not the OEM engine."

Post up some pics of the engine bay, might make it easier to understand where you want to go cutting.

Unless the rules have changed this year, basically you can push the engine back as far to the standard bulkhead but you are not allowed cut or removed the standard bulkhead.

Quote Originally Posted by AEf20c View Post
    Yeah that's what I thought also.
    its the vertical plane of the most rearward part of the bulkhead as said above, nothing to do with the OEM flywheel placement

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnedriftin View Post
    Unless the rules have changed this year, basically you can push the engine back as far to the standard bulkhead but you are not allowed cut or removed the standard bulkhead.
    yes but i have seen where bulkheads have been modified and are still ok.
    the case where a bulk head has raised and lowered profiles, so by rules you can go to the most rearward vertical plane.
    which in turn means you could change the raised parts to a flat sheet in turn allowing 30-40mm in some cases maybe more?

the thing with a sierra there is like an upper and lower part to the bulkhead, upper bit being over 200mm back from the lower part.
    and the rules state the most rearward vertical plane, in theory meaning i could move engine back 200mm.
    i just want to move it to a sensible position as its far too far forward, to the point the inter cooler would be in front of the front bumper
    see below
    2014072621452285662davecos.jpg

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by sideways_madness View Post
    yes but i have seen where bulkheads have been modified and are still ok.
    the case where a bulk head has raised and lowered profiles, so by rules you can go to the most rearward vertical plane.
    which in turn means you could change the raised parts to a flat sheet in turn allowing 30-40mm in some cases maybe more?

the thing with a sierra there is like an upper and lower part to the bulkhead, upper bit being over 200mm back from the lower part.
    and the rules state the most rearward vertical plane, in theory meaning i could move engine back 200mm.
    i just want to move it to a sensible position as its far too far forward, to the point the inter cooler would be in front of the front bumper
    see below
    2014072621452285662davecos.jpg
    My understanding is yes you should be able to cut back to the furthest back section of the bulk head "provided there is a vertical plane there", witch look like there is.
    I'd run it by John Stone just to be 100% sure though.
    Send him pics, including marking where you want to go cutting, might ensure a speedier response.
    https://www.facebook.com/Gripfab/