Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register

Default E46 318ci - Drift Learner??

Anyone on here sliding 318 bmw's?

Is it possible?! i just bought one and i was thinking of turning it into a cheap slider just to get the learn the basics of drifting! Car will only be used on track and i dont want to pump much money into it so i was just thinking of stripping interior, welding the diff and hopefully source a cheap set of coilovers for it! Failing to source cheap coils, would it be any use cutting the springs?!

Also is there any fuse or relay for airbags, or what is the best way of disabling them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

di Member
    Status
    User ID

[QUOTE=ciruap-s14;525187]Anyone on here sliding 318 bmw's?

Is it possible?! i just bought one and i was thinking of turning it into a cheap slider just to get the learn the basics of drifting! Car will only be used on track and i dont want to pump much money into it so i was just thinking of stripping interior, welding the diff and hopefully source a cheap set of coilovers for it! Failing to source cheap coils, would it be any use cutting the springs?!

best advice to give you is to sell it on it really wouldnt have the power and would make learning really difficult youll end up destroying
    the clutch and just generally breaking stuff trying to get it sliding.
    look for a 323i at the very least. 325i/328i being the best budget slider for learning and bits are plentiful for them
    youd buy a 328i with coilovers hydro bucket seats 4.4 diff and harnesses for about £1200 ready to go. its really not worth
    buying something and then starting to add all the bits you need

ps cut springs in a bm will fall out everythime you jack it up so just dont

Status
    User ID

It can be done, iv seen lads down in watergrasshill drifting one, you're not gona link the whole track but it will get ya going. Strip it out, weld the diff and put plenty of air in the back tyres. If you cable tie the springs down to the rear arms they wont fall out. you can get pro sport coils new for 240 euro anyway

Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't put the effort in to be honest when the bigger engine models are relatively affordable...

Status
    User ID

If you knew anything about roll centers you would not cut springs... lower + harder only or correct your roll centers by some other method

318 is too under powered.. be ok in the wet but a struggle in the dry. Go for a 323/325/328/330.. the 6 cylinder has more grunt

Thanks for the replies, but as i have this car now i might aswel just knock some fun out of it. Can always go for something with more power later down the road.

Im on the lookout for some parts now;
    Welded or Standard diff
    Hydro Handbreak
    5x120 skid wheels

Anyone selling any of them bits just drop me a PM. Cheers

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Where you based

Status
    User ID

I had an e36 with a welder and about 60 psi in the rears. It was fine for learning. Great crack in the wet and very predictable as to how it was going react. Did have the ring the neck of it tho.