Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
    Status
    User ID

Default MX5 Budget Drift Build

Okay so I've been meaning to do this for a while but only getting around to it now. I bought this little MX5 back in March as a standard 1.8 Jap import Eunos with the intention of building my first drift car (on a budget).

Had a bit of fun when it had the LSD but after talking to a few people I learned it wasnt all that dependable for drifting so whipped the torsen out and in with a welded diff.

Next thing I was advised I needed was extra lock, so instead of butchering arms and what not I decided to go down the cheaper route of lock spacers for the time being to see how I got on at it first.

Its very simple and for 4 pound posted I had nothing to lose.

And took it from this

to this

I didn't think 5mm spacers would make much difference but you can really notice it when its needed!

Next I wanted a decent roll bar just incase worst came to worst so after keeping a close eye on Ebay for a few weeks up popped this one from TR Lane and I got it for fairly reasonable money.

Then I got a set of TA Technix coilovers for it as comfort wasn't my main priority and they were very budget friendly.

Out with the old and in with the new

Then I got a friend to install a hydraulic handbrake and make a bracket for the bucket seat. Got some harnesses to keep me anchored also and a Sparco Racing steering wheel.

Also relocated my battery to the centre of the boot as it makes it much more accessible for disconnecting or to jump start if ever needed.

So then I was ready for my first day at drifting and man was it fun. And the old girl never missed a beat all day and gave no problems!

One thing I did notice after a quick check under the bonnet at the end of the day was the power steering fluid had overflown. Seems to be quite a common thing for the cars.

Interested to see if anyone else on here is drifting anything like this. Small, cheap and cheerful until I get a bit more practice.

Status
    User ID

I have 1 for drifting haven been out in months in it but doing the next autoheros so should be bita craic. They take all the abuse ya throw at them infairness and arnt another bmw. I got rid of my powersteering altogether and its grand unless your going under 5mph. I have cut hubs and spacers with et10 wheels i was rubbing the wishbone arm on full lock.

Status
    User ID

didnt notice the cam in the background in the thread on mx5ireland!ha very nice!

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Nice one man. The powersteering fluid boiling is fairly common. A PS fluid cooler from mcg or DW will sort that out. Whats the lock spacers like? Much difference?
    I'll hopefully be at the next autoheros in my turbo mx5.. Missed the last one because I threw a rod only days before it. oh well.

1994 mk1 mx5.

Instagram - eoinmarkey

Status
    User ID

Yeah seems to be, I've heard a lot of people saying it. Seems to make a good difference for very little cost, I didn't think 5mm would be enough but its good enough for the time being anyway. Was thinking about going to that myself, good reviews from the last one. Sickener about the car though, as long as its out for the next one you'll be flying!

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Hopefully!
    I must get some of those spacers .

1994 mk1 mx5.

Instagram - eoinmarkey