Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Mk1 Mx5 build

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Tiny update.

Got the new engine cleaned up and dropped in with the help of some mates. Started up first crank!
    If I gain anything at the end of this, it will be that I can swap an mx5 engine over in record time !

Particularly happy with the colours, if anything!

Still have to mount the gearbox and diff up properly. Fiddle with the suspension a bit and get it mapped before its drivable. Getting there though

1994 mk1 mx5.

Instagram - eoinmarkey

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Spent the majority of a day underneath the car.
    Got the diff in, ppf and the rest all bolted up. Dropped the car down, started it up and moved it. Delighted.

All seems well

At least the diff wasnt marked too much.

1994 mk1 mx5.

Instagram - eoinmarkey

Status
    User ID

Jes you really have some patience! Fingers crossed for reliability this time!

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Patience is thinning.
    Had to change the water pump after that.

If anyone wants to offer money for this, go ahead!

1994 mk1 mx5.

Instagram - eoinmarkey

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Le update.

So since then I decided the hell with the turbo, I want ITBs. So I sold all the turbo bits. It was tough in the feels because I spent a year working on it and a lot of the parts I made myself. But I was mostly relieved.
    My mate had a set of levin Blacktop ITBs laying about so I decided to use them.
    Picked up a cheap second hand exhaust manifold that needed some welding.

I then got onto DanSt engineering in the UK to make up an adapter from the mx5 to the blacktop ITBs.
    He was prompt and the quality is second to none.
    Some modification was needed on the fuel rail. The lines where interfering with the ITBs. I cut off the return line completely and ran the fuel line straight from the FPR. I cut off the Inlet line and rotated it to it cleared everything and got it welded back on at work. I've no pictures of that at the moment.
    The throttles went on with ease.

Since it wont be mapped using a MAP signal, I wasn't worried about the vacuums for each throttle, at least for now. So the two vac nipples on cylinders 1 and 4 were routed to the FPR and MAP sensor in the ECU (not sure if it's actually doing anything).
    I'm using the throttle position sensor from the mx5 auto engine but it is to be mounted 45deg from a levin tps, so still need to make up a bracket for that. To get it running, it's just held on with cable ties.
    The throttle cable was a bit of a Jeff but got it on and working with some gunthering. Most likely get one custom made at a leather time. It's on the list.
    After getting a map from a mate with an ITB 1.6, I changed around the details and with fresh oil and plugs it started up easy enough. With some tweaks to the fuelling it starts and Idles happy enough for now.
    I got some cheapy velocity stack that liven up the bay.

There's a few small bits to be done and then it's finally going off to be tuned. Not looking for big power. Anything over stock will be grand. I just want to drive the thing again!
    Really happy with it anyway and it sounds amazing, the intake and the full straight through exhaust.
    My plan is to have it on the road for the summer. And maybe sell it for the next project ( Queue massive regret).