Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
    Status
    User ID

Default putting m50b25/m52b28 into a 318ti compact

So i have an e36 318ti compact.

Im looking to swap either a m50b25 or m52b28 into it(depends what is available when i decide to buy one)

From what ive read i will need the following:

Engine
    Engine loom
    Ecu
    Ews
    key chip
    key barrell.

apparently i can use the m44 box on the m50/52 aswell?

Is there anything else im missing that i need for this swap?

You don't need the barrel, you can swap the chip in your key to the one from the engine you get.
    Yeah m4x boxes work on m5x engines. So if you use your box you don't need too much extra. If you decide to buy an m52 engine and box, you'll need the gear linkages and prop out of that car.
    You'll need to sort a twin pipe exhaust system as your own won't fit.
    No matter what way you're doing it I'd get a lightened m20 flywheel and clutch.
    While the engines out I'd do water pump, 88 degree thermostat and a rocker cover gasket and service it.
    I'd also invest in a 328 air con rad no matter what engine you put in it.

Status
    User ID

Thanks for the information (y). Would you know if theres any difference between the e34/e39 ad e36 m5x engines/boxes and rads Or are they all the same and interchangeable?

Status
    User ID

Engines are interchangeable but the sump and oil pick up is different on an e36 compared to the e34 and e39. Also make sure the engine is out of a manual as the wiring loom on an auto is different.

Status
    User ID

Will there be any clearance issues if i fitted and m50 from a 525i do you know? And is it possible to tell by the loom if its an auto or not?

Status
    User ID

You will need the sump and pick up from a 6 cylinder e36. As for the loom im not sure how you would tell. You wont have any clearance issues

Status
    User ID

Was reading a thread and they were saying I'd need a e36 loom and ecu, new engine mounts because the e39 are different(thought all m5x's had same mounting points) is this true? Seems to be a fair bit of work involved, considering selling the compact and buying a 325i at this stage

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan_G View Post
    Was reading a thread and they were saying I'd need a e36 loom and ecu, new engine mounts because the e39 are different(thought all m5x's had same mounting points) is this true? Seems to be a fair bit of work involved, considering selling the compact and buying a 325i at this stage
    The mounting arms on the engine will be different if it's from an e39, they mount in the same spot though. You'll need a e36 loom definitely. If it's an auto you can get the ecu flashed so it doesn't look for the egs control unit anymore. It'd be a lot less hassle to use an e36 engine though. Is it for a road car or a track yoke?

Status
    User ID

Track use only. Will i have to change the mounts on the e36 if its from a 5 series or will it just fit straight in? and yeah id rather get an engine from an e36 but theres not many for sale let alone a 325/8i full car for under a grand.