Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Status
    User ID

Default Sr36 Bmw Learning curve

This is my bmw e36 drift build, was hoping to have the car some what finished by now but as a first year apprentice, money isn't something I have a lot of at the moment.....

Its my first time building a car so its a big learning curve, have a lot to learn, and any help or advice will be much appriciated!!!

Car is a 98 e36 318is, bought it about 2 years ago for €1100 with years tax and nct as it started of as my road car, too many fun nights led to the engine going KABOOM!!! Was looking to buy and build a track car at the time so decided i may as well use it for that, From there i brought it into the shed and started stripping it out.

Bought an sr20det with box and loom for cheapzzzz 3/4 months ago, so instead of doing the easy thing and keeping everything bmw, i decided to make things awkward for myself and try build something a little different.... let the hassle begin....

This is the car when i had it on the road, clean enough for a bad bimmer!

Starting stripping it, out with the old.

Went cutting the usual stuff out, boot, boot floor, door cards.

Got some contours for cheap too and cut the wings

And then with some saving done, sent the car to get caged and a bigger tunnel made just to be sure any gearbox would fit. Heard Richard Harney did very good work so i gave him a ring and he was more then happy to help me out. He's a busy man but within 2/3 weeks i got the car back and man i could'nt have been happier, did exactly what i asked and was a gentleman to deal with, cheap too, would well recommend him!!

Gay instagram pic before the cage

Then i got myself the sr

Next was to spray the cage, splashed out a whole €35 euro on AllCityRecords and got myself some a few spray cans of there Hardcore blue coustaeu paint, had some left over so gave the bay a lick of paint too.!

Sat the sr into the bay last week to make sure it fits, which it did nicely,

One of the lads gave me a hand mocking up mounts and made me some in work last Friday to try, small few things will have to be moved and the mounts adjusted slightly but they seem to be spot on

Engine is sitting a bit to high but I dont see how I can drop it anymore without fucking around with the subframe or the sump, cant go back any further either because it will hit of he steering column. So for the time being i think im just going to plow on and go with it, when its done and if it handles like shit that i can always go back and try get the engine sitting back and lower. Just want to get out in the car at this stage

Plans over the next few fews/months :

Wire it up
    custom switch panel
    Driftshaft made up
    Hydro plumbed in
    bucket seat passenger side
    custom exhaust made up as its only to downpipe atm
    coilovers bc/hsd ? preferably hsd, Bc seem to expensive.
    R32 dmax roof spoiler
    MCN sport wing ( make BCL style uprights for it )
    Driftworks rad
    Superstyle wishbone/hub set up.
    Some nice wheels eventually

And thats about it for the moment, il try keep this updated regularly, any help or ideas are appreciated thanks.
    Hopefully il have it running and done before summer

Status
    User ID

Nice build, havnt come across a sr20 in an e36 before

di Member
    Status
    User ID

I hate sr,s but fuck it seems like its goin to be a crackin car fair play. the cage came out very well didn't it

Status
    User ID

Unreal lad, really want to do this myself as I have a sr20 in the shed and a couple of e36's too, I'm guessing that you can't get the bonnet to close?

Status
    User ID

I would have loved an m3 engine but they seem to be a bit pricey. Only reason for the sr was how cheap it was, Well see how it turns out anyway! I couldnt be any happier with it!

Status
    User ID

Nah i reckon il have it raise it quite a bit, and get the angle grinder out ..... if i ever want the bonnet to close.

Status
    User ID

Really cool project, cage looks excellent

Status
    User ID

Put the master cylinder in and got the front brakes plumbed in last night, happy enough with it just hope all the flares don't leak considering I bought the flaring tool kit on Amazon for €15 and the copper pipe was about a 10er..... ..

Going to wait until I have the dash and steering column back in and my seat mounted properly to see where I want to mount the hyrdo and then plum that in, no point in doing it now and not being happy with it.

Taking donations if anyone wants to give me some money for coilovers or if anyone has a set of good e36 coilovers going for cheap i might be interested.

Status
    User ID

Must vouch for this car, he's doing it right
    If only someone would throw him a few pound because I think im more excited than he is to get a spin in this... gonna be insane

Senior Member sideways-theonlyway's Avatar
    Status
    User ID

Great work lad, looking forward to seeing this up and running.