Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Status
    User ID

Awesome stuff. Looking forward to any vids that come up

di Member
    Status
    User ID

This is a cool build nice to see something different and so much of your own design work going into it. Fair play keep it up

Status
    User ID

OK time for another update

Federal RS-R steering tyres acquired for the front

Prop Shaft CV boot..... Sorted

I also filled the centre bearing rubber with polyurethane

air intake.. Massive K&N Filter, 90 degree around the headlight into an Oval shape to get between the rad & the headlight, and then into the oval MAF (wires had to be extended).. and a bit of last minute heat shielding from the exhaust in the form of 6 layers of tin foil.. did the job

Electrical system... I created a control box to operate lights, brake lights, indicators, & wipers. The entire box fits in where the airbag used to be. Control panel also finished

battery box also fitted

I had booked it in to Auto Heroes 2 in Mondello on December 5th, exactly one year and one day since I bought the Car

AutoHeroes Update:
    The car played the absolute dickhead from the word go... the night before it blew the heater inside the car & started putting coolant up on the windscreen on the drivers side.. so that was bypassed! Turns out that antifreeze is awful hard to get off the inside of a windscreen & its not very easy to see out of... took until lunchtime to clear propperly

Boost Pipe after Boost Pipe Blew off throughout the day.. At 2.5 Bar boost, one particular type of clip fails. I spent most of the day replacing those as they blew & getting another few laps in.

Forgot to lock down the bonnet propperly Bonnet & Windscreen smashed & the roof well dented

I also encountered a Red E36 up my arse when a boost pipe decided to fail

Thats all the bad stuff over... the suspension; Feckin Awesome! unbelievably predictable & soooooo much lock. Felt like I had more grip in this car with 255 18's on the rear in the wet than I did in the last car in the dry.. Absolute pleasure to drive. Carries speed through corners extremely well & no pendulum effect in transitons. Feeling the benefits of almost 0 ackerman steering, no ARB, stiff suspension, & stiff chassis

Power, not fully sure because it was wet... but as I learned the car I began to get comfortable on the limiter in 4th gear down the main straight & off the last corner in the back section. Flywheel is now fully gimped.. Cound not even idle correctly had to keep it revved to prevent mental vibrations

Thanks to TheLowLife Blog for the pic

this is a pic by weswic sliders, I believe was a 4th gear job onto the back straight

Status
    User ID

I love to see this up again an m3, must be a pig to go.

Status
    User ID

OK this is badly due an update

Brought it to AutoHeroes 3, Shanes 325TDS also managed to make its first appearance

Coolant Pipe got cut, drained a significant amount of coolant & engine overheated.. Cracked a Ring & scored the bore, game over for the block
    This is Cylinder 1

and Cylinder 6, the crown of the piston burned & blew down by the rings

Ended up getting a New engine, unfortunately I wasnt able to touch the engine right up until the weekend of AutoHeroes 4 and expecting it to just bolt up... never plain sailing. Saturday morning at 7AM I figured out Engine from an E60 530d does not bolt up to a 330d gearbox

Bored the block (Thank god I have a solid flywheel to be able to face & bore the block square) and eventually got the whole thing running on Saturday Night at 11.. Threw it up on the trailer & off to AutoHeroes

The misfortune however did not stop there, Typical nothing I had done & was expecting to go wrong did, it was the pressure plate self adjuster that failed immediately as soon as I went out on track within a lap, very expensive day to watch from the pitwall

This is the self adjuster in its fully adjusted position, it was BMW's solution to a problem nobody ever had.. Its design keeps the bite point of the clutch the same at all times throughout the wear of the clutch (Not the clamping force which would be nice). Being a ceramic disc its thinner than the original so it adjusted

Springs removed, & adjuster re-set to its NEW position

Tacked the adjuster solid... thatll never cost me a drift day again!

I also machined the step on the flwyheel slightly to get me more clamping force, and the clutch is now more on/off feeling but is absolutely relentless now

I also weighed it, managed to whip out 360 KG or 14.5 Bags of Cement since I got the car.. but its still heavy

In the meantime, I have been having problems with the fuelling and found out the AirFlow Meter was being maxed out and limiting my fuel quanty. Since the MAF went flatline as RPM climbs the engine throught it was getting less and less air, it should be staying relatively steady throughout the rev range at full boost, which would result in more & more & more air flowing through the MAF.
    this is a filtered view of what the engine thought it was getting per cylinder as the revs climb.. less & less, this caused a fuel cutback

With the MAF deleted & associated DTC's removed permanently from the ECU it now uses Boost Pressure to predict values for MAF and stopped capping my maximum Fuel, I was now getting 100mg/str which equates to 400 Horsepower @ 4k RPM not including an efficiency loss.. At all times on boost above 1.5 bar I was now getting full fuel

Got a set of 535d injectors, they're about 12% larger than standard so that should bring my maximum IQ up to 112mg/str, that should pretty much guarinteed me to reach 400 Horsepower and exceed 800NM Torque.. or so I thought

This worked very well until I put the car under sustained loads & the car drained the rail.. It may be difficult to see here but I have a few examples of it.. If you see on the far right of the graph, the Rail Pressure setpoint while its high, the actual rail is not able to deliver the requested pressure, it only begins to recover when the load comes off temporarily & drains again.. The High Pressure pump is not able to deliver the volumes of fuel at high rail pressures at high revs, the timing lags because its based on rail pressure & revs & the car loses power like mad.. If its significantly drained it even begins smoking white as a result of retarded injection timing

During this testing it also managed to boost to 3 Bar, so much for 4 bar ratings on hoses

I thought I had it backed off enough to just above 300 horsepower for the cars next outing.. IADC Licencing day.. It began to drain the rail in the lower revs under sustained load & cut out completely several times.. Backed off the torque a small bit & Eventually got it running continiously

Speaking of which

So, after all that ball-ache & the car not running near the power it should be running I managed to pull off a few good runs & earn a competition licence for IADC 2016 ... Bring it ON!

Next up, AutoHeroes 5. I have the High Pressure Pump changed out just incase it was that causing my problem.. if not, I'm going to have to either get the CP3 pump from a Dodge Cummins, or go Dual CP3 Pumps which is commonplace in the US on Ford Duramax & Cummins ect running 1500 Horsepower

Last edited by TorqueWorks; 25-03-16 at 21:55.

Status
    User ID

Hard luck dude but you will get there in the end keep up the top quality work

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Status
    User ID

Time for another update

Fuel system update:
    Found the limit of the high pressure pump under sustained load yet again, my original pump was healthier but only by a fraction. need to get my hands on a bigger one now.

I have confirmed that my new pre-pump setup is not limiting me by adding in Dual lift pumps & repeated testing & datalogging what's going on, no change. Stuck at somewhere just above 300 horsepower sustained, and 800NM torque. I really should dyno this and see because something doesnt add up, how can I only have enough fuel to get to 300 horsepower & others magically achieve 400 on a dyno using the same CP3 pump :confused2:

Brought it to AutoHeroes 5 and was going strong all morning, until the pipe from the High Pressure Pump to the Fuel Rail gave up at the flare on the rail.. completely related to how many times I've been at the rail, the flare was getting deformed ect. New pipe when I went home and away again

few pics, spent most of the day in 4th gear comfortably now & getting used of the car... I may be getting a little fond of full lock which I also need to address with wider tyres

IADC Round 1 set on Mondello's International Loop:

third weekend in a row the car stayed working and apart from the minor issue with the fuel pipe at autoheroes nothing else gave a bit of bother... welcome change at last Even I was suprised :whoo::whoo:

So After practising in the wet all morning, the track just dried out during qualifying which changed the track completely. First Qualifying I entered slow, realised the grip was there, tried to gain speed to clip 3 and spun straight into the gravel... Great!
    Qualifying run 2, knowing the grip was there I threw the car in a good bit harder (4th fastest exit speed at the speed trap between clip 2 & 3 at 74km/h ) and put in a solid run in 3rd gear, that placed me in 6th position and gained my way to top 32 battles.

Into twin battles to which I put in a fast but solid lead run. My chase run was a total baptism of fire, having never done a chase run before that day I was now following in a V8 E36 in competition.. On the transition to clip 3 I did not back off to give myself ample space to transition, ran out of tarmac & had to straighten... Immediate 0 for incomplete run... No doubt it will happen again several times, but I've got to use the middle pedal the odd time rather than what I've gotten used to just using all that extra lock to dump speed. (For once it was me that let the car down and I'm happy with that!)
    What can I say tho... Competition & chase runs is a whole new addiction & I love it! Hats off to the IADC/IDC/BDC team for putting on a well organised event. Round 2 cant come fast enough

Follow the competition on Facebook
    facebook.com/irishamateurdriftchampionship

Status
    User ID

Well done Kev! Keep it up..

Senior Member sideways-theonlyway's Avatar
    Status
    User ID

Great stuff, ye were both going well at Auto Heroes, competition drifting is another level and far too addictive!
    Great to have the car running solid anyway, best of luck for the rest of the year

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Fair play man the car looked to be goin really well and loads of power. Sickined i wasn't out for rd1 will have to throw big shapes at rd2 to make up for it 😀😀