Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    di Member
    Status
    User ID

Default SRx7 fd ProjectBuild

Well lads, I had been looking at project builds for long enough so decided a spell ago to begin my own. Cheap and cheerful was the aim at first so I picked up an e36 coupe for a couple a hundred with the idea of lumping in a v8. By the end of stripping it down I was bored (sorry beamer fans) So I began looking again...
    This popped up soon after and I had it bought within 30mins of it being posted.
    Rolling fd3s shell with brakes, halfshafts, diff, propshaft, rack, dash...

Got her home and soon got to work while I could....

chopped boot floor plus corners because one was mangled

Front near side had a tip at some point so instead of worrying about it being ment,,,Chop Chop Chop,,

Lightened up the doors

When I was down to just a bare shell I went about stripping the sound deadening. A few boys had told me wait till a frosty night, hammer and chisel, clean with petrol, and all the rest. Tried some a these but wasnt happy with the results so after a few calls bought myself 10kg of dry ice.

Makes some job of it, leave some pellets evenly spread across it for 5 mins, couple a light taps of a rubber mallet and it comes off clean as a whistle

An hour or so later...

Last edited by Brendanfd3s; 17-01-17 at 23:32.

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Windscreen out...Ready for cage...

I love a good cage, nearly makes or breaks a car for me so off she went to Ronan at Roco Performance, I heard from a few lads he was good,,,,he is!!! (Pics are poor all from iPhone)

Because the rx is so tight for space he even went so far as to cut out and beat back some sections from the A and B pillars to get it as tight as possible. Went for Nascar door bars for extra room, X at the back for looks, 4 extra diagonal braces, roof X, tied to both A pillars and steering rack in oem position. No weight saving in mind here just wanted a cool cage. Also with the X in the roof it will easily pass scrutiny for any other motorsport (hill sprints in mind...)

Last edited by Brendanfd3s; 06-08-14 at 16:53.

Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

NICE looks good so far!

Status
    User ID

Where did ya get the dry ice well handy as I'll be tackling my sound deading in the near future

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by thetangerine View Post
    Where did ya get the dry ice well handy as I'll be tackling my sound deading in the near future
    Polarice.ie they have a few centres, one in cork, dublin, but the only one that will sell v small quantities is the one in Port Laois. Think I paid €25 or something like that for 10kg of it which was loads

Status
    User ID
    Blog Entries

nice work man its going to be sweet

Sig pic removed (size) - Admin

team ball bag

di Member
    Status
    User ID

With roll cage in two slots in the dash were cut out to fit in place. Must make up a few brackets at a later stage to secure it.

Next job was to line up the engine, modify the subframe and fab up engine mounts...
    This was a difficult decision. Was going to go ls400, then decided bmw 4.4 v8, but in the end decided I wanted to keep it light and as neat as possible and lets face it Sr parts aren't hard to come by so SR20 it was. Because of the new regs i cant cut the bulkhead so i beat it back as evenly as i could without breaking the seam. Got about 75mm out of it. This wont be seen anyway

Using this engine hoist I made up a few years back it was very easy to sit the engine where i wanted and tilt it to the right angle

Then set about modifying the subframe,,,after spending years welding with arc welders cant believe how easy mig welding is. Only bought the mig for the project.

This is how the subframe ended up. Chopped more than I needed to at the beginning,,,too eager,,,but it worked out nicely at the front end. (View from underneath)

Then back on with it, double checking engine position, fabbed some engine mounts and tacked them in place for welding after!!!

All welded up,,,sitting pretty

Status
    User ID

top work there man

di Member
    Status
    User ID

cheers dude, just learning as i go...

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    top work there man

Status
    User ID

great job man....wondered what the car was looking like. want to see the finished product. will be keeping an eye on this tread. i am the boy that sold u the top mount mani and boght the vsxx's of u.