Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
    Senior Member sideways-theonlyway's Avatar
    Status
    User ID

Lightbulb Project 328i - a lot to learn

Ok so myself and my brother bought this 97 328i up in Antrim, hadn't been abused and it had a full service history, spotless inside and out.
    We could have gone and bought a car ready to go but where's the fun in that, we've never done anything like this before so we want to learn as much as possible and the only way is to get stuck in and do your own work.
    So I got stuck into last night for an hour and got most of the rear internals whipped out.
    We'll be selling the complete interior, leather seats were spotless so hopefully someone will be interested in them.

So for some pictures;

The car as we got it;

The interior

An hour later....

And of course the first of many cut knuckles

So here's the plans. This is just gonna be a track car and we haven't got buckets of money to throw at it so trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Complete the strip out, any issues with removing the air bags?

Remove the diff and either get it welded or try to get a welded 325 diff as I read that it has a better ratio, I assume it'd just a straight swap? Any tips for removing the diff?

Looking out for a hydro, will a standard one suit OK or will I need to get a different one for this car? Definately will need some help getting this fitted.

Fit steering wheel & seats.

I dont think we'll be splashing out on a large cone air filter for the sake of a few extra horses, just going to fit a good quality panel filter, what ye think?

I've read about replacing the manifold, gaining extra HP but that you loose torque, so we may just leave it as it is, again, what's ye're experiences?

What should we do with the exhaust?

Really unsure about the suspension, probably just buy some good quality lowering springs for now, anyone recommend a quality brand?

Also on the look out for some wheels, probably sell the ones that are on it, all new tyres on them.

As I said we know f**k all so it's gonna be a steep learning curve, trusty haynes manual on the way though

Looking forward to ye're input/ideas/criticism...all welcome

Status
    User ID

Default Update time

Ok so time for a bit of an update...

So got the car pretty much all stripped and she was sitting up fairly high after it and felt alot quicker

Moved it down to its new home for a few weeks so we can get to work on it in a bit of comfort

Been gathering up a few bits and pieces over the last few weeks;

some wheels

Strut bars...doubt they'll be much good for anything

some cheap seats

cheap second hand coilvers - jamex, hope they last a while

And first of many stickers

So we have the diff out and welded, currently removing the rear subframe to weld in the reinforcement plates, rear subframe is in some mess with rust, hard job getting bolts and nuts removed but we'll get there

This came today...fake ebay job but it'll do me

So i have lots of interior bits if any one is looking for something for sale on ebay...

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/087mate123/m....&_trksid=p3686

Have few other bits that are not up yet, M3 steering wheel, spare wheel cover, few other bits of trim

I've sold the alloys from the first few pics so that helped with funds a bit.

So remaining work to do when I get a chance is;

Complete removal of subframe
    Weld in reinforcement plates, install subframe (may replace) & diff
    Install coilovers, seats & braces
    Buy and fit hydro
    Decat exhaust

Get it out and take it from there

Future...
    M50 Manifold and BBTB
    Electric fan
    CAI
    and whatever else needs to be done

So I'm on the look out for a Hydro if any one has one floating about???

Status
    User ID

nice build she's coming along nicely keep up the good work id look into removing the abs from the car aswell if i was you as you dont need it and its a plain nuisance

Quote Originally Posted by git View Post
    u just talk nice to me or ill tell john to make that cage out of timber and then we see who passes scrutiny

Status
    User ID

Nice build man ! Good to see use getting stuck in !

Ya dont need buckets of money to have fun drifting. Grass roots drifting FTW .

As for the hydro , would ya not make your own ?

Get down to the scrappy and get a mater cyclinder and a small bottle for the brake fluid .

Or ya can buy a master cyclinder for a hydro out of most rally spares shop . Their about 40-50e .

Weld up a wee box to bolt your master cyclinder to and a bit of threaded bar for a handle .

Aye pull out the abs fuse out too .

Edit. Mod`d the knuckles for extra lock on mine not too long ago well worth doing !

Cut out 25mm off the knuckles and welded them on again , where the track rod end goes into the struts .

And for extra camber cut the wishbones and welded a 35mm piece into it .

Last edited by Mac_C; 29-02-12 at 20:44.

Status
    User ID

Price on the interior.

Good work so far. Have a look through the project section, lots of E36's built lately.

Hydro's are chape, just buy one. Be creative with the rest.

Have a look on driftworks for their "gangsta lean" video review of replica steering wheels.

Last edited by keith-n; 29-02-12 at 20:38.
    Team manfoot : Its all about the 1Fourty8

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by keith-n View Post
    Price on the interior.

Good work so far. Have a look through the project section, lots of E36's built lately.

Hydro's are chape, just buy one. Be creative with the rest.

Have a look on driftworks for their "gangsta lean" video review of replica steering wheels.
    ha ha just watched it there and I'm after going and pulling and hanging out my one! It didn't go in shit so bit happier now

yeah subscribed to all the threads so learning lots from them, yeah gonna be buying a hydro, mad busy these days so only getting to work on it for a few hours every week haven't time to be making one....I need to get this on the track

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by sideways-theonlyway View Post
    ha ha just watched it there and I'm after going and pulling and hanging out my one! It didn't go in shit so bit happier now

yeah subscribed to all the threads so learning lots from them, yeah gonna be buying a hydro, mad busy these days so only getting to work on it for a few hours every week haven't time to be making one....I need to get this on the track
    Price on interior?

Team manfoot : Its all about the 1Fourty8

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Mac_C View Post
    Nice build man ! Good to see use getting stuck in !

Ya dont need buckets of money to have fun drifting. Grass roots drifting FTW .

As for the hydro , would ya not make your own ?

Get down to the scrappy and get a mater cyclinder and a small bottle for the brake fluid .

Or ya can buy a master cyclinder for a hydro out of most rally spares shop . Their about 40-50e .

Weld up a wee box to bolt your master cyclinder to and a bit of threaded bar for a handle .

Aye pull out the abs fuse out too .

Edit. Mod`d the knuckles for extra lock on mine not too long ago well worth doing !

Cut out 25mm off the knuckles and welded them on again , where the track rod end goes into the struts .

And for extra camber cut the wishbones and welded a 35mm piece into it .
    cheers man, yeah must do that to the knuckles when I'm fitting the coilovers. The old stick welder will be out

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy drifter View Post
    nice build she's coming along nicely keep up the good work id look into removing the abs from the car aswell if i was you as you dont need it and its a plain nuisance
    thanks lad, keeping an eye on what your up to as well

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by keith-n View Post
    Price on interior?
    the leather seats is it? Have them up for €180