Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
    Status
    User ID

Default Paint/Respraying advice and suggestions wanted

Right so basically I'm respraying my mx5. Now trying to decide on the paint colour has been a bit of a headache.

The car will be resprayed, in a shed, by non pros. Can use a gun, or spray cans. I dont expect the finish to be amazing, but once it looks good from 5 or 10 feet I'll be happy. Thats why going satin is the best idea I think, as its alot easier to get a good finish AFAIK.

Its currently british racing green. And as I've been informed, since its a dark enough colour, if I go for a light colour I will first have to but primer on it so the green doesnt come through. Time is tight to have it ready somewhat for the portlaoise comp, and I'm hoping to do it this weekend.

So choice 1 is to just use primer in spray cans. Leave it as is (might look good anyway) and then if not atleast its primed to then respray it after portlaoise.

2nd choice is to just go ahead and spray it as is. Colour idea has changed alot, but now I'm leaning towards a satin cream colour. Satin white was the original idea, but plenty of deadly white mx5s and I kinda want something that is different (not standard on a mx5). Yellow was the next idea but think it might be too much, and look too mad, plus I've always loved cream and black 86s. But would satin cream look good? Any pics? Will the green just come through it, or will enough coats be ok? If it comes through a bit it might look cool anyway.

Something like this colour:

Sorry for the long post (as usual), but head is fried and its not something I know alot about! All help or advice greatly appreciated, as I've discussed this tons with mates, but could do with some outside advice too, as need to try and pick up the paint tomorrow

Status
    User ID

priming with spray cans cant be a good start .

cream though could look very good on a mx5.

Status
    User ID

What happens if I just get a cream satin paint made up and use the gun? Come out decent?

Priming with spray cans John I would have thought would be ok? Know a few ppl who have sprayed their cars with rattle cans and they've come out surprisingly well. So I'd imagine especially with primer that you couldnt really get it too wrong?

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Painted my old vento satin twice.

Didn't prime it first time when it was green, just a good sand down and primed bare metal bits. Paint didn't "grab" well so you'd be better off priming it IMHO, worth the extra little bit of work. Primed it and added a base coat when was spraying it wine and turned out a better finish.

I basically got 2pak paint without the laquer. Primed it, left it dry overnight, sprayed it the next day. Make sure that the shed you are using is heated well and make sure you have good lighting!

It was far from a pro job, but I loved it. Nice and easy.

Status
    User ID

cream will look unreal but i think you should add some black, friend has a cream mini with black arches and roof looks ace

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by haydn itr View Post
    cream will look unreal but i think you should add some black, friend has a cream mini with black arches and roof looks ace
    Oh there'll be plenty of black on it eitherway. Just the other colour I need to decide, and whether a home done satin cream would look anyway as good as a the proper jobs done on the mentioned cars

di Member
    Status
    User ID

Make sure you have a good place to do it well lit, dust free, lots of heat and a bit of a breeze like a fan
    Spend lots of time preparing it and masking this is the most important step.

try to get the panels warm before applying paint and clean them with pre-cleaner and use tack rags to remove dust particles.

always give a light dust coat before 2 wet coats of paint/primer(not too much leave a few mins between wet coats)
    Aerosol primer would be fine but to do a full car it would be much better with even single pack in a gun
    wet sand primer down with a rubber block and some used 600 or 800(make sure the water is spotlessly clean (slightly warm wit a drop of washing up liquid)

wash it all off and dry it then mask it all up again

pre-clean, tack it down and heat then paint away.

Hope this helps ya
    beat of luck