Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Pro Driver
    Status
    User ID

Default The MCN Sport Chambers Performance SRX7 FC Build

Hey lads and lasses!
    Welcome to the build thread of my new drift car, The MCNSPORT Chambers Performance SRX7 FC.
    Well I guess most of ye know that my last car bit the dust at the final round of Prodrift in Fermoy last year. After that there were two options: Reshell it into another S13 or go for something completely different. I took the 2nd option after a call from Jules Chambers of Chambers Performance in Sandyford, after he and Darren McNamara had had a conversation the very same night as the crash in Fermoy.
    The plan was to build a kick ass FC3S RX-7 which to be powered by an SR20 engine in association with Chambers Performance and MCNSPORT. I've wanted to build an FC with years, so I guess it's time!

So here it is, a basic spec naturally aspirated UK model FC, complete with sunroof and a small NA diff which will explode if we try to put big power through it!

The first step was to strip the engine and interior at Chambers Performance to make way for the new power plant and custom lightweight MCN Sport weld in cage

James Deane and Jules make short work of taking out the NA 13B. This would be a nice responsive engine for a road car!

Then, back down in Buttevant, the lightening process started with removal of the sound deadening

Professional Formula D driver Darren McNamara is heading up chassis design and is fanatical about weight. Team mechanic Holly spent a while introducing the grinder and the air saw to the FC! All the unnecessary brackets in front of the front panel have been removed. The car isn't going to run any headlamps.

The inner quarter panel contained four skins, two of which are left in this pic.

About half of the metal that is to be removed is removed so far. Darren told me not to call down when the car is up on the spit and he's cutting it with the grinder!

This is the way the interior looks at the moment

Checking what offset wheels to get with some plus 50mm quarter panels laid on

The steering rack is above and in front of the subframe in FCs, which means that it's in the way of the sump of the SR20. The rack needs to be about 5 inches further forward or down, or the engine needs to be 5 inches further back, i.e. through the firewall. You could house a small family in the tunnel so theres no need to go cutting there!

..................!
    Status
    User ID

Love it...! Will be keeping a close eye on this...!

di Member
    Status
    User ID

this will rock,will be cool to see an fc doin prodrift

Status
    User ID

good work mike...
    whats the plan with the glass roof????
    as it does not comply wit PD rules an regs.
    as i had to remove my sunroof last year.
    ps. hope see you up in carlo wknd for me bday sess!

Team WKD

di Member
    Status
    User ID

More updates Mike please
    We know that theres more done
    This will be one cool car when done

Administrator
    Status
    User ID

Going to be a mega cool little skid weapon!

Status
    User ID

Love it

Status
    User ID

shell be sweet

Status
    User ID

cool build theres goin to be some serious cool machinery in pro drift this year

Pro Driver
    Status
    User ID

Well another busy few days have gone by! Having a broken hand hasn't made having a very tight deadline any easier but nothing is supposed to be easy in motorsport i reckon!

After returning from EA Games in Vancouver on Need For Speed Shift 2 duties Darren has welded all the cage in place except the door bars

And he stayed on Saturday night to seam weld the engine bay which turned out really tasty. Legend Darren!

The outside seams and chassis legs are next on the list

And this eve the shell was put up on the spit. This will allow the rest of the welding and cutting to the underside to be done much more quickly and easily

Now that I can't do ANYTHING I can get a bit creative with the pics

Team member and drifter extraordinaire Sean Townie Town-Land Healy made a welcome appearance this evening with his big pipe and tidied up the underside of the shell, cutting off every unnecessary bracket