Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Status
    User ID

Default cam timming sr20det

well lads i had the timming set up in my car. long story short i was told i had it wrong and charged big money to get it set. i knew i had it rite after setting it that many times. so paid the lad for it brought the car home after being told there was a valve bent. so went about taking the head off with two lads with me checked up what way he had the timming set i had my douths so took a pic. hear is the two ways it was set which way do yous say is rite???
    i won't say which was which yet.
    pic1

pic2

di Member
    Status
    User ID

is this is with the crank at tdc yes?(2nd mark from left on the pulley)!
    Pic 2 seems right to me!

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by dannyps13 View Post
    is this is with the crank at tdc yes?(2nd mark from left on the pulley)!
    ye the two pics are at tdc 2nd mark left on the crank pulley. for got to say that.

di Member
    Status
    User ID

pic 2 seems right to me....open to correction tho

Status
    User ID

ya the second pic is right.

di Member
    Status
    User ID

second pic, 10 links between cams is 100 percent right

di Member
    Status
    User ID

I'm no mechanic but I swapped the head on my 4age before and I even knew to turn the crank before starting it, Was this procedure not done by this "mechanic"?

Pro Driver
    Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by markos View Post
    second pic, 10 links between cams is 100 percent right
    That is not the correct way to time an sr properly!!! It won't always work out at ten depending on engine machining!!

Pro Driver
    Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by AE86-20v View Post
    I'm no mechanic but I swapped the head on my 4age before and I even knew to turn the crank before starting it, Was this procedure not done by this "mechanic"?
    I am the "mechanic" Wayne is talking about!!
    I work in TDP,,,
    Now I will fill you's in on the real story, Wayne brought his car to TDP to get it mapped after having 3 engines blow up from another engine builder/tuner and wanted to get the car mapped properly. When we put waynes car on the dyno and started running it, it was not either spooling the turbo properly or making the torque that it should of been and this is a sure sighn of wrong cam timing as we have seen it numerous times before, now I took off the rocker cover checked the timing and it was wrong, no big deal nothing couldn be sorted so I re set the timing correctly, now I have built a he'll of a lot of sr engines by now and I know what I'm doing I can assure anyone who asks!! After fixing the problem Robbie started running the car again and it was still not right but better, so I done a cylinder leakage test to find medium to fair readings on cylinder 1,2 and 3 but number 4 cylinder had a severe leak down reading and straight away I could hear the air through the exhaust,,, a valve problem obviously, so Wayne was told to put a standard head on his car and bring it back to be finished. After he took the head off he decided the cam timing was wrong and I had made a mistake when I am 1000% that I didn't and Robbie in TDP even checked the timing that day! I explained this to Wayne that the methood he was using is not accurate and the timing was right for sure!!
    The other day he wanted to book his car in to be mapped again an Robbie asked did he change the cylinder head on his engine and he said no it was the same head so Robbie told him he was not interested in mapping it as he did not take professional advise so now Wayne is on here trying to stir shit because he is pissed off that the people that couldn even set the timing won't map his car??? Strange eh?? So Wayne you are at nothing talking shit about me or TDP as I think everyone knows we know how to make an sr work it's quite proven by now!!!

And just to let everyone know 10 links between the timing marks will NOT always work, we use a much more accurate methhood,,!

And even with the timing off one or even two teeth I will not bend a valve and anyone that knows anything about building a sr will know that!!!

And one last way to prove Wayne is talking shit, if the timing was the problem all cylinders would have massive leak down not 1 cylinder hence and head/valve problem!!

Wayne you are talking shit plain and simple, your better off not argue with someone who knows what he is talking about when you don't,,,

Good lad

Status
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Stonie View Post
    I am the "mechanic" Wayne is talking about!!
    I work in TDP,,,
    Now I will fill you's in on the real story, Wayne brought his car to TDP to get it mapped after having 3 engines blow up from another engine builder/tuner and wanted to get the car mapped properly. When we put waynes car on the dyno and started running it, it was not either spooling the turbo properly or making the torque that it should of been and this is a sure sighn of wrong cam timing as we have seen it numerous times before, now I took off the rocker cover checked the timing and it was wrong, no big deal nothing couldn be sorted so I re set the timing correctly, now I have built a he'll of a lot of sr engines by now and I know what I'm doing I can assure anyone who asks!! After fixing the problem Robbie started running the car again and it was still not right but better, so I done a cylinder leakage test to find medium to fair readings on cylinder 1,2 and 3 but number 4 cylinder had a severe leak down reading and straight away I could hear the air through the exhaust,,, a valve problem obviously, so Wayne was told to put a standard head on his car and bring it back to be finished. After he took the head off he decided the cam timing was wrong and I had made a mistake when I am 1000% that I didn't and Robbie in TDP even checked the timing that day! I explained this to Wayne that the methood he was using is not accurate and the timing was right for sure!!
    The other day he wanted to book his car in to be mapped again an Robbie asked did he change the cylinder head on his engine and he said no it was the same head so Robbie told him he was not interested in mapping it as he did not take professional advise so now Wayne is on here trying to stir shit because he is pissed off that the people that couldn even set the timing won't map his car??? Strange eh?? So Wayne you are at nothing talking shit about me or TDP as I think everyone knows we know how to make an sr work it's quite proven by now!!!

And just to let everyone know 10 links between the timing marks will NOT always work, we use a much more accurate methhood,,!

And even with the timing off one or even two teeth I will not bend a valve and anyone that knows anything about building a sr will know that!!!

And one last way to prove Wayne is talking shit, if the timing was the problem all cylinders would have massive leak down not 1 cylinder hence and head/valve problem!!

Wayne you are talking shit plain and simple, your better off not argue with someone who knows what he is talking about when you don't,,,

Good lad

Wayne is a mechanic also