PDA

View Full Version : Rocker Cover

jcb114
16-08-10, 20:14
Can some explain the best way to polish and shine a rocker cover

way2fastforu
16-08-10, 20:17
is it a bare metal one or painted one you wana polish??

jcb114
17-08-10, 10:42
she is bare metal at the moment its only on a little vw golf just to get how to do it, but i would like to know how to do it for painting

copeyhagen
17-08-10, 11:08
i painted the rb25 one midight purple ii before i sold it.

took it off, (keep rubber gaskets in a sealable bag or whatever)
then i used paint thinners or white spirits to clean it down with a cloth, then i sanded it to remove any grit and oil, till i had it fairly cleaned down.

then i just primed it grey with 2 or 3 coats then painted it with the purple spraypaint i had made up from the code.

then one or 2 light coats of clearcoat (lacquer) to give it a shine.

job done ;)

jcb114
17-08-10, 20:03
Well i dont think il paint her yet but i had a go with the owlll wire brush and got this effect il shine it up and take her off and do it properly

As ive said its only a old golf for practice id rather F it up on this than on a better car like... also anyone know where i could get a cheep backbox for a golf mk 3 96 1.4

thanks anyway fer all the comments

k1984w
23-08-10, 08:53
if ya want a nice polished finish wet sand it go through the grade s prob wanna be starting at about 180 grit to get the wire brush marks out and go to 2000grit the use some metal polish and you get a proper nice shine off it

cruising_r32
24-08-10, 23:11
if ya want a nice polished finish wet sand it go through the grade s prob wanna be starting at about 180 grit to get the wire brush marks out and go to 2000grit the use some metal polish and you get a proper nice shine off it

Yep, if you do this you should get a real good finish but be prepared to put in a lot of hours and get your hands really dirty.

It is hard work but well worth the results.