PDA

View Full Version : Turbo HELP!!!!!!

Greg
04-08-09, 15:51
The turbo in my 97 JZX100 Chaser has been boosting a little lower lately, and as of yesterday it started making a lovely high pitched whistling sound while coming on boost, and until I let off the gas.

From what I have read, the whistle is not a good sign, and I can expect my turbo to shit itself any day now.

What I want to know is - Am I correct in thinking it is fucked? And is there anywhere in England or Ireland that I can send my turbo to, to have it rebuilt, but with a bigger compressor wheel in it to make it boost harder, and for longer.

I'm not very well educated on turbos, and the workings of them, but read on a jzx100 forum that a place in Australia "high flows" the standard turbo with very good results.

mick-skyline
04-08-09, 16:04
owen delvelopments in the UK will do a job on it for you.

or tommy cooney in portlaois rebuilds too

conorosr20
04-08-09, 18:09
has she been smokey lately?To be honest if i was you ted,and i know its expensive but look into a new hks one or similar make,by the time you would have that one re-furbushed it could cost a pretty penny.

mr.jailbait
04-08-09, 18:33
a simple rebuild can cost up to 3/4 of the price of a new turbo

Greg
04-08-09, 21:33
No, no extra smoke or anything out of the car. There is some oil in the intercooler pipe though which has me worried.

I thought getting a hybrid turbo was cheaper than buying a span new turbo. Ideally i'd like to go for bigger boost now, because there is no point in putting a standard turbo back in the car. That'd be gay. :D

Jay Rockett
04-08-09, 21:47
Its not leaking boost from anywhere is it??

Check all your piping from your turbo to intercooler and to inlet manifold,
eliminate the easy stuff first!

PeterT
04-08-09, 21:53
kinda sounds like my yoke a while back?? my actuater was fucked.

Greg
05-08-09, 11:01
Just in from looking at the car. Some people suggested taking off the induction pipe and checking the turbo for play, but it's going to take more than just whipping off the induction pipe to have a look at the turbo, so i'll leave that for another day.

I did, however, remove the front bumper which was resting against an intercooler pipe, because it wasn't fitted properly, and then tighten all the clips on the piping. The end result was that the whistle has now gone, and the bumper is getting attacked by a Handisaw in the next few minutes. Happy days. :D

Cheers for all your help folks.

Jay Rockett
05-08-09, 12:20
And is your boost back to normal??

Greg
05-08-09, 14:32
Nope. It's still peaking at .8 instead of 1.0 on the Defi gauge.

Jay Rockett
05-08-09, 15:18
Keep looking through all you boost piping anyway or try exhaust and turbo gaskets..