PDA

View Full Version : apexi power fc and commander

copeyhagen
03-08-10, 22:21
just picked up an apexi power fc and commander off greg (cheers lad).

it has been mapped by robbie for greg for his jzx100, with mods (i think) fmic, induction kit, exhaust and decat?

my cars running fmic, exhaust, cat is in (i think), and standard panel filter.

question is will the car need to be remapped? and would it be safe to drive the car on the power fc with the map that suited gregs car on it?

cheers

rob

Greg
03-08-10, 22:51
Mine also had Iridium plugs that Robbie installed the day he mapped it. The rest of the spec is right. :)

copeyhagen
03-08-10, 23:03
ill check my plugs 2moro see whether theyre copper or irridium

Fredericks Balls
04-08-10, 08:42
No two engines and mods are identical no matter how similar they seem (I'm being picky here!) so I'd imagine you would be safer to get it mapped IMHO

carpo
04-08-10, 08:58
as keiran said i would'nt chance it..get it mapped agian to be on the safe side

subzero
04-08-10, 09:22
if you plugged it in could you not just see what its knock reading is ?

id imagine it wouldnt be making as much power as if it was dialed in to your car , but if the knock was ok could do ya for a while ??

Fredericks Balls
04-08-10, 09:58
Actually, sorry for the hijack, but on the knock level, what level is dodgy? (in numerical value i mean)

copeyhagen
04-08-10, 10:00
ill be plugging it in tonight hopefully.

yeh, a remap is deffo on the cards but it should be ok to use till then?

as long as im not gunnin around in it of course

copeyhagen
04-08-10, 10:00
Actually, sorry for the hijack, but on the knock level, what level is dodgy? (in numerical value i mean)

id be interested to know aswell lad ;)

Greg
04-08-10, 10:41
Anything over 50 is bad. On my car if you turned the steering wheel while parked the knock level won't jump up to 20, and the starter motor would cause it to jump to 18. I was told by Robbie that the knock microphones were picking up a lot of other sounds and it wasn't the actual engine pinking, so once the levels didn't go over 50 after a run I was happy enough.

I did see 122 on it once but that was because there was shit petrol in the car. Apple green keeps it below 30 after a run so I stick with them.

Oh, I fitted that ecu to the car and drove it around for a day and night, before getting it mapped, while watching the knock levels and the car was fine. :)

Edit - The above about what knock level is safe is only my opinion and could be completely wrong. :D

copeyhagen
04-08-10, 10:54
cheers for the replies lads,

retard question time, can the knock level be seen on the commander?!

subzero
04-08-10, 10:55

yes ... you can display loads of stuff at the same time,

check this for all the help youll really need.

http://www.paulr33.com/powerfc-faq/powerfc-faq.htm

Greg
04-08-10, 10:59

I had it set up to monitor knock, water temp, speed, and revs in 4 channel. :)

copeyhagen
04-08-10, 11:03
savage, didnt realise it displayed so much.

heres what cathy from tdp said

Hi Rob,

The Power FC will need to be mapped to suit your car. If you're driving it, drive it off-boost as it could detonate and cause damage.

Thanks,
Cathy

was meant to be drivin up to armagh this weekend, not sure thats a possibility now.

Greg
04-08-10, 11:05
Just throw it in, bring it for a drive and see if it knocks much. If it's nothing high I reckon you'll be fine. Don't rally it around though.

Maybe throw up a thread on Driftworks and see what the tuners on there reckon.

Fredericks Balls
04-08-10, 12:45
Hahaha when I was bringing it up north the knock level hit 9 and I was about to pull over and call a tow truck lol :D

Yea the commander is deadly. Plug it in and have a gander I'm sure once you don't rag the shit out of it and the knock isn't savage high then I'm sure it would be ok to drive around

Stevo
04-08-10, 14:24
Mr balls did Bradley map your yet??

copeyhagen
04-08-10, 14:47
put it on driftworks, they reckon dont drive it till its getting mapped.
will get onto robbie about getting it in asap

Fredericks Balls
04-08-10, 18:05
Mr balls did Bradley map your yet??

Next week I think, I left it there at the weekend but hes busy builing his road car this week so when thats done, the banger is up :o

put it on driftworks, they reckon dont drive it till its getting mapped.
will get onto robbie about getting it in asap

They would! once you know the limits of the important peramiters and dont cross them then its driveable. All I was told (and my PFC was just on a generic base map) was dont boost it or rag it. Otherwise take it handy and it was perfectly driveable!

copeyhagen
11-08-10, 17:12
ok, cars getting mapped in the morning, just put the power fc in and started the car for the first time.

knock level = 23 is that ok to drive to wicklow with?

and shes idling a little high (started at 1900 then dropped to a steady enough 1500)

should be ok to make the trip in the mornin yeh?

Titan Autoworks Japan
11-08-10, 17:56
there is no need for you to plug it in.just hand your car and power fc to robbie and he will do the rest:D

Fredericks Balls
11-08-10, 17:57
I'd say ring Robbie to be 100% but id imagine if Greg had it mapped for his car and the knock level was near 100 or something then your fine. Stay off boost to be safe

Fredericks Balls
11-08-10, 17:58
there is no need for you to plug it in.just hand your car and power fc to robbie and he will do the rest:D

He has no standard ECU and Robbie is a serious push away :D

Greg
11-08-10, 19:13
It used to jump up to 20 or so when I started my car and the steering wheel being turned made it register knock as well.

Start it up again and then push right on the d-pad which will reset the values to 0, then go for a spin and see what it registers. no heavy loads or full boost though just in case. I fitted it unmapped to my car and drove it around and then up to Robbies with no problems.

About the idle, there's a start up procedure you ahve to do when you first fit the Power FC. It's like leave it idle with no elctrics running for ten minutes, then go turn on the heaters and demister for ten minutes, then turn on the air con for another ten. It's so the Power FC learns the different loads all the electrics do to the alternator or something.

It should all be in that PDF manual I gave you a link for.

copeyhagen
11-08-10, 20:33
ah bollox, i didnt wanna put the air con and all back in

copeyhagen
11-08-10, 21:22
About the idle, there's a start up procedure you ahve to do when you first fit the Power FC. It's like leave it idle with no elctrics running for ten minutes, then go turn on the heaters and demister for ten minutes, then turn on the air con for another ten. It's so the Power FC learns the different loads all the electrics do to the alternator or something.

doesnt say anything about that greg? not that i can see?

http://www.xspeed.com.au/manuals/fc_commander_instruction.pdf

Fredericks Balls
11-08-10, 21:28
It used to jump up to 20 or so when I started my car and the steering wheel being turned made it register knock as well.

Start it up again and then push right on the d-pad which will reset the values to 0, then go for a spin and see what it registers. no heavy loads or full boost though just in case. I fitted it unmapped to my car and drove it around and then up to Robbies with no problems.

Really?

I just plugged it in! I never drove it till it was up to full working temps. So about 5 mins or so. It idled like shit till then. After that it was grand, i just kept off boost and watched all the parameters constantly. I drove well over 100 miles to Bradley on it... Most the knock level reached was 9...

copeyhagen
11-08-10, 23:26
yeh the knock level dropped down once it was running a few mins. idle sorted itself out from a few mins of driving.

ill let yas know what she makes 2moro :)

Fredericks Balls
12-08-10, 07:05
yeh the knock level dropped down once it was running a few mins. idle sorted itself out from a few mins of driving.

ill let yas know what she makes 2moro :)

Yea, Yowdy and Richard both said the same thing that it will idle funny till its fully warmed up, but thats fine, nothing wrong as such (without it being mapped)

Do ill be dying to hear, good luck!

Greg
12-08-10, 09:28
doesnt say anything about that greg? not that i can see?

http://www.xspeed.com.au/manuals/fc_commander_instruction.pdf

I must have read it somewhere else so. I'll find out and post a link.

Best of luck today with it. :)

copeyhagen
12-08-10, 13:20
shes still idling a bit jumpy sometimes now, will see if i can adjust it with gregs method if he finds it :D

he mapped it to 95 ron and it made 280 at the wheels, 300 at the fly. happy enough with it considerin its fairly standard

theres a cat in it, he said without the cat i should see about 330-340 at the fly.

also, he never noticed i still had a huge silencer in the exhaust till afterwards, he said with that out should free up a good bit too.

so im after a decat :P
and a remap.

Fredericks Balls
12-08-10, 14:11
Actually, since i got the Silvia mapped its a bit jumpy while idling. I put it down to the fact the ignition had to be retarded a lot to stop det. Maybe its somethign else...

300, awesome! Congrats.

Do the NCT then decat, thats my plan!

copeyhagen
12-08-10, 15:30
exactly! applying for nct now.

anyone got a decat for sale :D

also, the knock is just showing up blank now?

Greg
12-08-10, 16:44
I have a decat, not selling it though. :D

300 at the fly, very nice. :) Mine made 326 with a decat and an exhaust with two big boxes.

It's showing up as 0 or it's not saving the highest it registers? You can switch off whether it saves the highest reading or not. It comes in handy for when it registers 272kmh for you to take a picture of when you get home. :D

Greg
12-08-10, 16:54
shes still idling a bit jumpy sometimes now, will see if i can adjust it with gregs method if he finds it :D

http://www.paulr33.com/powerfc-faq/powerfc-faq.htm#20

:D

copeyhagen
12-08-10, 17:30
http://www.paulr33.com/powerfc-faq/powerfc-faq.htm#20

:D

cheers for that greg, it wouldnt reset the map or anything mad like that if i do that procedure will it?!

the knock is just showing black, no number at all?

cheers

Keli
12-08-10, 17:34
cheers for that greg, it wouldnt reset the map or anything mad like that if i do that procedure will it?!

the knock is just showing black, no number at all?

cheers

Greg is playin COD :rolleyes:
He said your best bet is to give Robbie a ring and see what he reckons.

Greg
12-08-10, 17:45
Greg is playin COD :rolleyes:
He said your best bet is to give Robbie a ring and see what he reckons.

Thanks.

Ya, just give TDP a ring tomorrow about both things.

copeyhagen
12-08-10, 18:57
lol yeh i will.

jus playin bad company 2.

cod is shite :D