PDA

View Full Version : where to get shims to set back lash

alan opel
27-07-10, 22:23
well lads since welding the diff ive noticed my backlash is quite bad, nice bit of play and a bit of a knock out of it, im taking the diff down tmro but i have no micrometer, how will i no what shim to get and where will i get it? cheers lads!

mick
27-07-10, 22:38
id nearly have a fiddle at what ya have there and see is can ya improve it a bit by swapping them around. dont know whare ya can get them though sorry

alan opel
27-07-10, 22:44
like by moving one from one side to the other? ill have to open her up an c!

jhinchy
28-07-10, 10:35
how much lash are you getting?
Moving the diff to rhs should improve it, meshing the crownwhell closer to the pinion. But if you dont have enough lash, when she heats up, gears expand....kaboom :D
Ive never bought them from nissan, but i know bmw sell them in a kit, with all the different sizes. Nissan dealer would be your best bet.

insejn
28-07-10, 11:24
you need to measure it tho.. . search on some info on sxoc, there should be a thread on about how to measure it up

eileen
29-07-10, 16:52
the backlash measured with a dial gauge should be 0.4mm for the s13.
if you have a welded though it should be right as the diff wouldnt have been taken out of the case... take it out and measure it though before you buy stuff anzways. any garage will have a dial gauge.