PDA

View Full Version : Good Luggage Crew - Turbo Eunos Roadster NA

Pages : [1] 2

B.Egan
26-07-10, 18:47
Right so this is a project I've talked about and wanted to do for a long time. But for one reason or another it just never happened...untill now.

MX5 engines are basically turbo engines without the turbo. They can handle up to 260bhp roughly on standard internals. Considering also that they have always been regarded as one of the best handling sports cars out there, are great fun to drive as standard, are fairly light at approx 900 kg, and importantly for me are a bit different and retro, with alot of potential styling wise, I see this now as the car I'll stick with for a while. Plus the fuel and running costs are very small when driving normally, but yet I'd say it could give alot of bigger cars a run for their money when driven hard, either straightline or more so on track.

So firstly I decided it would be better to buy a mx5 that had already been turbo'd and built properly from the UK (as not many done over here) and to then sort out the looks side myself. Plus theres alot more value for money over there.

So about two weeks ago I travelled over to the UK and picked up this absolute minter and drove it back.

The car was built by Front Row engineering apparently and imported through Newera imports. Since in the UK its had two middle aged owners and I have a massive folder of every receipt, MOT and even original for sale ads.

I have to stress that this really is "mint", with absolutely no rust and still on its original paint in perfect condition.

So heres the spec as it stands at the moment:

1990 V spec model
gt2540 garrett turbo from r32skyline refurbed with steel internals 360 bearings blueprinted to engine.
front row engineering custom pipework with two extra injectors.
t house engineering intercooler (huge)
racing beat air inlet & k&N
LA motor co. oil pump &pipes ,oil cooler
walbro fuel pump
3 paddle clutch & new slave cylinder
hks ecu & hks computer for injectors
hks superdrager exhaust system no cat.
strenghened conrod bolts

enkiel s racing 15" alloys refurbed, toyo t1rs
mk 2.5 sport brakes new discs green stuff pads, new fluid, all 3 handbrake cables replaced.
bilstien struts ebach springs.
mazdaspeed strut brace
lower brace under gearbox

carbing tow hooks
garage vary front lip
smoothed & polished rear lights.
racing beat california speedter deck lid in brg (very rare)
cabin brace
harness bar
KG works dials on passenger side
greddy turbo gauge in vent
Nardi Torino
original roadster mats
alloy roadster speaker covers
roadster sill covers
new speakers in headrests & doors jvc headunit
headlight flash mod
zoom filler cap
new cambelt & tensioners ,camcover gasket
roof replaced 18 months ago

It is apparently 220bhp, running .8 bar. It certainly feels very quick but I will be getting it dyno'd anyway to see what it actually is pretty soon.

Some pics taken by previous owner:
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac40/octane72/IMG_1636.jpg
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac40/octane72/IMG_3387.jpg
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac40/octane72/IMG_3390.jpg

And so mechanically its pretty sorted. Has loads of power, brakes are massive and more than enough. Suspension seems very good, although I'll probably be changing this for coilovers pretty soon anyway.

Future Plans:
So its more the aesthetics I'll be sorting out pretty quickly. Wheels have been ordered today from the US, hardtop in the next week or two and a few other bits and pieces that I think will make it look well (dont worry all the chrome will be going). Basically it will have stance, plus a few trick and different ideas I have for it. bt:) I also VRT'd it obviously.

At the moment its out at the workshop and will be getting a full service in the next few days, aswell as getting the diff welded....which should be interesting lol! :D Also the turbo, manifold etc generate alot of heat, and with the filter where it is its currently probably sucking in hot air more than anything else. But plans are afoot to sort this out and lower the intate temps alot, which should in turn help the performance.

This will be used every day by me, but I'll also be getting it out to as many track or drift days as possible.

I'll also try and organise and streamline this thread a bit more over the next while. bt:)

alan opel
26-07-10, 18:51
bad ass! dude thats gona be sweet as! thats three turbo mx5's in galway now! and the second green one:eek:

Fredericks Balls
26-07-10, 21:42
Sweeeeeeeet!!! I like :)

B.Egan
26-07-10, 22:00
bad ass! dude thats gona be sweet as! thats three turbo mx5's in galway now! and the second green one:eek:

3 turbos in galway? Didnt know that. What they look like? Any quick ones? Although I'm up in Maynooth now myself anyway, so wont be movin in on their turf lol!

Stevo
26-07-10, 22:08
Wooop as i said already sweet as fuc project trixta :)

titey86
26-07-10, 22:17
very nice...nice to have all that engine work done as a base,
takes very little to make them look awesome!
best of luck:D

subzero
26-07-10, 22:22
very interesting :cool: look forward to seeing what you make the car...

have you seen yer man "mints" one , not turboed but a mental car non the less.

C-Rex
26-07-10, 23:07
Ha just talking bout MX5s the other day with one of the lads.. Serious potential when dropped and on deep wheels..

Turbo is nice though, makes it a proper sports machine.. What wheels have ya planned for it?:cool:

B.Egan
26-07-10, 23:31

Yeh I know the one. Very cool car, although maybe a bit ott for what I'm looking for at the same time. A matte respray was on the cards originally, but now I think the paint is in too good condition to do it. But this will be a long term project I'd say, so I'm sure it will go through a few different looks.

Ha just talking bout MX5s the other day with one of the lads.. Serious potential when dropped and on deep wheels..

Turbo is nice though, makes it a proper sports machine.. What wheels have ya planned for it?:cool:
Well I was hoping to get work equip 03s in the silver/black and then powdercoat the dishes black, but just cant afford that at the moment and still get the other parts. So for the moment it will be rocking some Bassett deep dish steelies in black (very similar to diamond racing ones, just a bit lighter and better quality) in 15x8 et 0 on the front (as need a 10mm spacer to clear the calipers) and 15x8 et -12 on the rear.

C-Rex
26-07-10, 23:36
Does it work out expensive getting steels in from america?

As long as they are deep they look the job, equips are savage but very expensive to get anything near the fitments youd need:(

You gonna get 185s stretched or 195s?

B.Egan
26-07-10, 23:41
Does it work out expensive getting steels in from america?

As long as they are deep they look the job, equips are savage but very expensive to get anything near the fitments youd need:(

You gonna get 185s stretched or 195s?

Wheels are only costing me E250 but have to sort delivery myself (as they dont deliver internationally) so it'll work out about E600-650 to my door total. Still good value I think, and with the power it has and the welded diff etc I'll need to go 195 45s, as still want decent handling. Still will be some stretch though. Heres 15x8 et-12 Bassetts with 195 50s on an another 5.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4819389987_3405fc829f_b.jpg

pole drift
26-07-10, 23:51
any plans for the interior??

serious tom
27-07-10, 00:18

Mint has some of his stickers in the post for me..
Mini boso mx5 ftw

B.Egan
27-07-10, 00:40
any plans for the interior??

Yeh have plans for the interior too. Ideally I'd hope to get a set of RS limited proper recaro carbon seats for it. They came standard in the rs limited mx5s so will fit mint, but they're about £600-800 a set so will be a while before I get them. Also hope to get a full cage made up, and alot of other little ideas I have for the interior, but thats all stage 2 of the project lol! Sort the exterior out within the next month first.

Robbie Daly Ps13
27-07-10, 00:44
Savage little car lad.....! Why do we never see any of these drifting... Is it because of the short wheel base or wats the story...... ?

B.Egan
27-07-10, 00:44
Mint has some of his stickers in the post for me..
Mini boso mx5 ftw

Minty Fresh stickers lol! He has very good style in cars and likes to try different things which is always good to see. Although originally one of the colours I was thinking of spraying it was matte purple as liked it on a guys golf around here, but I cant now.....the bastard lol! :D

B.Egan
27-07-10, 00:49
Savage little car lad.....! Why do we never see any of these drifting... Is it because of the short wheel base or wats the story...... ?

You will see this one drifting at some stage anyway. At what level I dont know, but will try a few drift days and take it from there. A sr20'd one in the UK came 4th in the last round of the BDC AFAIK, and theres a NB shape one drifting in Formula D so it is possible anyway. Wheelbase is only 5 inches shorter than an 86 so not a massive difference there.

serious tom
27-07-10, 01:07
Minty Fresh stickers lol! He has very good style in cars and likes to try different things which is always good to see. Although originally one of the colours I was thinking of spraying it was matte purple as liked it on a guys golf around here, but I cant now.....the bastard lol! :D

Yea, he is always busy doing something or other, knew him from them he had Kei-Chan, his 15.
He had the green heap of shit back then...
Just after taking a look at his build thread for the red one.. he is not wise :P
He said that one of the first times he went over he came back with all bits and bobs in his case, and they wanted to charge him 700 quid for the extra weight, he picks up soo much random shit from Japan...
Im sure you will find the odd bit of inspiration from his 5.

EDIT; stickers are the rectangular minto fruit ones...

Hachi
27-07-10, 09:11
Nice project, Should be savage when it's finished. Always had a thing for one of these.

3 turbos in galway? Didnt know that. What they look like? Any quick ones? Although I'm up in Maynooth now myself anyway, so wont be movin in on their turf lol!

I know one of them was from oranmore and was running a GREDDY turbo kit on it and dusted nick a few years back. Dont really know any other specifics other than that

gone0-60mph
27-07-10, 10:32
Wheels are a bargain in my eyes an will suit it perfect. Loving this car!!! I will def be buyin a cheapo one again in the future!Best of luck with it.........

copeyhagen
27-07-10, 10:57
lovely car lad best of luck with it.

was givin serious thought to buyin one of these a short while back, would deffo love one as a track slag.

turbo'd one stinks of win

Tekno Twinky
27-07-10, 11:02
hope this aintgonabe all showy freshbox style all that jazz is getin old cant say i ever liked it

if this things got an engine like you say go grip racing in it as it looks as though it been designed that way? if you drift it (properlydriftit) youll damage it.for sure.

this what your aiming to achieve?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JPv0okI9kj4/SxbQb_E4z0I/AAAAAAAABhs/RWSY_kUKLcE/s1600/miata.jpg

s2k hardtop?http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Carl%20Jarrett/Misc/sema_08_1333.jpg

good feature of this car here..http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/04/30/car-feature-gt-gt-scott-s-very-serious-mazda-roadster.aspx

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2359/2237898583_c5ff1575f9.jpg

or drifty specs note the pretty beat up presence the car gives..
http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/AntonioAlvendia/RandomSnap/Misc%20Cars/ph_rd13_no044b.jpg

god damn who has the awesome pic of the dude coming in off minami i think it is in a greeny coloured miata slighty beat looking and full all the awesome!??i need it back!!!!!

git
27-07-10, 11:49
a car has to look like a drift car to drift it ??? :confused:

B.Egan
27-07-10, 12:21
[QUOTE=Tekno Twinky;143196]hope this aintgonabe all showy freshbox style all that jazz is getin old cant say i ever liked it
What you mean by that? Anyone who knows me knows my cars get driven, and are generally to be honest far from mint bodywise. I'm not a man for cleaning or polishing lol!

if this things got an engine like you say go grip racing in it as it looks as though it been designed that way? if you drift it (properlydriftit) youll damage it.for sure.
Such is life. No different to damaging any other car. I will be taking it out in Mondello on a normal trackday and see how it does. But without R888s or A048s, and with steel wheels, a welded diff, and 195 not great tyres it wont come close to its full potential in that sense lol. But I still should be able to somewhat gauge what it could do.

this what your aiming to achieve?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JPv0okI9kj4/SxbQb_E4z0I/AAAAAAAABhs/RWSY_kUKLcE/s1600/miata.jpg

That has diamond racing wheels in 15x10. Considering the weight of the wheels and how uncomfortable that now is to drive that is the last thing I want. I'm going for a compromise of beefing up the looks of the eunos without sacrificing too much of the handling. The Bassetts weigh about 18lbs a wheel, and the enkeis weigh about 14.5lbs a wheel AFAIK.

s2k hardtop?
http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Carl%20Jarrett/Misc/sema_08_1333.jpg

Thats the autokonexion fastback hardtop

To be honest at this stage over the last year I've gone through nearly 1,000 pages of mx5/miata/eunos roadster picture threads so have probably seen most lol. When it comes to planning out cars I dont skimp on the research!:D

way2fastforu
27-07-10, 12:41
cool...cant wait to see it wen you've few bits done to it dude mx5's are cool cars
good luck wit it an buildin it

twailbait
27-07-10, 12:52
Good luck with the car, hope to have mine charged in some way or another before the summers out!!

B.Egan
27-07-10, 13:24
Good luck with the car, hope to have mine charged in some way or another before the summers out!!

Thanks man. In fact I'm sorry if the basics of my car appear to be in many ways copying your own! BRG with black steelies lol, although I suppose you have gone white now. Just the way it worked out as never planned on keeping the BRG but its really grown on me, and as said it would nearly be a shame to ruin the good original paint at this stage. But we'll see in the future! :D

Tekno Twinky
27-07-10, 13:29
a car has to look like a drift car to drift it ??? :confused:

no im not saying that..trixtas cars are usualy these mint fully built cars that are too clean and one off expensive to damage an if you drift youll damage. so a decision realy has to be made about what one would like to do with their car if you get me..

B.Egan
27-07-10, 13:48
no im not saying that..trixtas cars are usualy these mint fully built cars that are akmost to clean to wreck an if you drift youll wreck. so a decision realy has to be made about what one would like to do with their car if you get me..

What lol? I take that as a compliment I suppose, but at the same time I gather you obviously havent seen any of my cars in person? Black 86 back in the day was in good nick, but that went to Tullow and Mondello, and went through two front bumpers on the roads and a few other instances. The 20v was in Mondello maybe 4 or 5 times, untill I ran out of money. The FC didnt see the track (couldnt afford that kind of petrol costs lol), but the condition of its front bumper and the black electrical tape that held it together vouch for it not being too clean to wreck, although they were done before I got it. The other cars I've had dont really matter in that sense.

To be fair I actually have never really damaged or crashed a car in anyway badly on the road or track, but I can say honestly that its not from the lack of trying lol! :D

Daraghs14a
28-07-10, 00:20
This is a cool little car, Well wear with it. Is looks like it will be some fun to drive.

PeterT
28-07-10, 08:31
Killian your getting more and more into the sense that if a car is clean it isnt used, calm down!

Sweet little jammer, id say its fairly nippy!

Alan B.
28-07-10, 09:21
the car will most deffinitely be driven on. if not he'll get dogs abuse from all the lads.

peer pressure, it's a wounderfull thing.

Tekno Twinky
28-07-10, 10:32
Killian your getting more and more into the sense that if a car is clean it isnt used, calm down!

Sweet little jammer, id say its fairly nippy!

am not. used is 1 thing hard driving is another! iv an answer to everything.try me..:D

where were you monday night?i was in cork collecting watts but your fone wasnt workin!

cool brian hope you have good times with it!!

it is brian yes?:o

dog-tag
28-07-10, 10:59
Killian forcing car styles on people again!? tut tut I'm not surprised!!

In fairness people as long as I know Killian he does LOVE a dirty car, never
understood it though!

even though I worked in a car wash for a couple of years youd think I'd be
a clean freak, but if anyone knows me the cars get washed once a month
if lucky, maybe 2 months.

Other people I know who are complete slobs themselves, valet their own car every Sunday morning.. People just have there own little ideas of what their car should look like.

Alot of it boils to down to pride of ownership I think.

Nice roadster by the way, lovely little spec on it!

B.Egan
28-07-10, 14:51
the car will most deffinitely be driven on. if not he'll get dogs abuse from all the lads.

peer pressure, it's a wounderfull thing.
Your forgettin that I'm from galway, where theres more roundabouts than straight road laaaad! :D

am not. used is 1 thing hard driving is another! iv an answer to everything.try me..:D

where were you monday night?i was in cork collecting watts but your fone wasnt workin!

cool brian hope you have good times with it!!

it is brian yes?:o
Yeh its Brian :D

Killian forcing car styles on people again!? tut tut I'm not surprised!!

In fairness people as long as I know Killian he does LOVE a dirty car, never
understood it though!

even though I worked in a car wash for a couple of years youd think I'd be
a clean freak, but if anyone knows me the cars get washed once a month
if lucky, maybe 2 months.

Other people I know who are complete slobs themselves, valet their own car every Sunday morning.. People just have there own little ideas of what their car should look like.

Alot of it boils to down to pride of ownership I think.

Nice roadster by the way, lovely little spec on it!
Thanks man. I'm similar to be honest. Never polished a car in my life, and cleaned the FC at total of 4-5 times I'd say in the year I had it, including once when I bought it, and once when I sold it lol!! I'm pretty lazy, so a dirty car comes with the territory! :D

Tekno Twinky
28-07-10, 15:22
Your forgettin that I'm from galway, where theres more roundabouts than straight road laaaad! :D

Yeh its Brian :D

damn.. im good.

http://noriyaro.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/onodera_mazda_001.jpg

http://noriyaro.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/onodera_mazda_003.jpg

minty roadster...
http://noriyaro.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/okegawa_roadster_crash_001.jpg

whats that! a man foot equiped soldier coming over the hill??

http://noriyaro.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/okegawa_roadster_crash_003.jpg

mangled roadster hehe
http://noriyaro.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/okegawa_roadster_crash_013.jpg

B.Egan
03-08-10, 18:52
Few small updates. Firstly the exhaust leak problem was solved. Replaced the manifold and turbo gasket. But also the main problem was that the manifold had looads of cracks and holes. But it was welded up and fixed and the roadster is now running 100% again. Seems to be running even a bit more power now I'd say (well it should be anyway) or more likely quicker spool up, and absolutely loved driving it today! Practically no lag now and no more tractor noise too is a relief.

Got it sorted just in time aswell (thanks to Paddy B and Will C) as had it in for the NCT today. It failed, but only because one headlight needs to be aligned. Was 100% other than that (110% on braking force actually lol), so will get it sorted in the next few days (plus I taxed it), so then its fully legit.

Checked up with the wheel company and the wheels were picked up and are on route. Should be here towards the end of the week. Also got some extra cash so the hardtop, coilovers, rear lip spoiler, and a few other bits should be getting picked up very soon.

Thought of another cool idea for my interior aswell. To put an Irish twist on the whole thing rather than just copying the guys in the US, I'm going to try and make a hydro using a hurley lol!:D Small 20" one or something and then have the grip as the part you pull. Could be a nice touch if done right.

Car needs to be finished by Japfest anyway so should all be done this month hopefully. Then good to start tracking it after that.

B.Egan
13-08-10, 21:11
Right so bit of an update. No pics though so I really shoud gtfo lol!! The wheels arrived last friday, along with 4 new toyo proxies T1-rs from camskill (came in one day which is very good). 195/45s so should have a bit of a stretch. Wheels are pretty deadly and happy out with them. They should transform the look of the car.

The retest for the nct is wednesday, just to get the headlight alignment checked. But I dont want to try and fit the wheels till after then as they might fail them on being too wide.

Also sorted out a hardtop today and going to head up to Antrim on Mon or Tue to pick it up. Genuine mazda one in black with heated and tinted rear window.

Need to take off one of the Enkeis to check the offset and width tonight hopefully, so may test fit one of the et-12 rims to get an idea of what needs to be done to make them fit.

On the coilovers front I'm still struggling. The ones I wanted are really cheap and have had good reviews, but they're out of stock for the NA model till september, so might see if I can manage as is till then (as the current setup actually handles very well), get NB shape ones and then change the topmounts, or maybe go a different route.

juice
13-08-10, 21:51
Get pics up you loser

B.Egan
04-09-10, 05:23
6am and the car is somewhat finished to leave for Japfest in 45mins. No sleep :(. Way tooooo much stuff done over the last two weeks to list, and I'll go through it in pics etc once I get this weekend out of the way. Exterior isnt 100% how I'd want it for japfest (chrome mirrors and fuel cap mostly) plus I've a few stickers to arrive and throw on it. But its pretty close and I'm lovin how it looks at the moment! Inset seriously happy face here lol!!!

alan opel
04-09-10, 07:38
pics man come one!!!!

nicknack
04-09-10, 20:01
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8172/img0648ca.th.jpg (http://img411.imageshack.us/i/img0648ca.jpg/)

juice
04-09-10, 20:20
more please

Romo
05-09-10, 19:16
saw it today, looks well sexy in the flesh!

DaveZigen
05-09-10, 22:41
Good Luggage FTW!

Micko
05-09-10, 23:18
Had a good look around the car today brian, really liking the basset rim and a savage offset for it too

If i were to pick faults the hardtop could do with a tidy up, i know it didnt come with the car but just felt it took away from it

B.Egan
06-09-10, 02:05
Had a good look around the car today brian, really liking the basset rim and a savage offset for it too

If i were to pick faults the hardtop could do with a tidy up, i know it didnt come with the car but just felt it took away from it

Thinking in my head I should become the Irish dealer for them considering the interest they got. How does E600 to your door, in any offset you want, probably in any colour you want, in about 2 weeks sound to ppl? 15x12s even lol?:D

As said it was a real last minute thing, literally. Still plenty to sort out. The hardtop will be resprayed, aswell as the A-Pillar and top of the windscreen to the same colour as the hardtop. Then swap the chrome mirrors and fuel cap for green ones. Few little stickers here and there. Halfcage, bucket seat, harness and hydro. Then thats phase one done I'd say!

juice
06-09-10, 10:03
Savage car this, camber is savage in the back, wheels perfect, fairly shifts too with nice flames, pity bout the queer driver.

Tekno Twinky
06-09-10, 10:09
Thinking in my head I should become the Irish dealer for them considering the interest they got. How does E600 to your door, in any offset you want, probably in any colour you want, in about 2 weeks sound to ppl? 15x12s even lol?:D

As said it was a real last minute thing, literally. Still plenty to sort out. The hardtop will be resprayed, aswell as the A-Pillar and top of the windscreen to the same colour as the hardtop. Then swap the chrome mirrors and fuel cap for green ones. Few little stickers here and there. Halfcage, bucket seat, harness and hydro. Then thats phase one done I'd say!

sounds like a rip off considering there 80$ a wheel:confused:

I dont like the steels all round there a wheel for smashing i think.Id only run them on the rear.

The yellow stickers were nice to see on them though! i only seen the white and red before.

Good to see it road driven!:)

jdmireland
06-09-10, 14:11
cool little car was told there sum fun wel wear wit her

B.Egan
06-09-10, 15:01
sounds like a rip off considering there 80$ a wheel:confused:

I dont like the steels all round there a wheel for smashing i think.Id only run them on the rear.

The yellow stickers were nice to see on them though! i only seen the white and red before.

Good to see it road driven!:)
White and red stickers are Diamond Racing. Bassett make lighter, stronger steels, and are a big company rather than one guy doing it in the evenings like Diamond. I have no problem with anyone ringing up Bassett and getting a quote. They dont deliver internationally so you have to try and sort that yourself which isnt easy, sort all the import paperwork, and then import duties. Shipping is alot more expensive than the wheels. So then see if its a rip off.:rolleyes:

Always seem to get negativity off you Tekno. Or some sort of sly digs that I dont drive my cars on or something? I see the last line above as another veiled one. I dont exactly see how you can say this when you dont know me or are from anywhere near the same place. In fact I only ever see your 20v sit at shows so could I say the same about you? Lose the superiority complex and why dont we both twin our road cars in Portlaois next sunday? :D

Tekno Twinky
06-09-10, 15:17
White and red stickers are Diamond Racing. Bassett make lighter, stronger steels, and are a big company rather than one guy doing it in the evenings like Diamond. I have no problem with anyone ringing up Bassett and getting a quote. They dont deliver internationally so you have to try and sort that yourself which isnt easy, sort all the import paperwork, and then import duties. Shipping is alot more expensive than the wheels. So then see if its a rip off.:rolleyes:

Always seem to get negativity off you Tekno. Or some sort of sly digs that I dont drive my cars on or something? I see the last line above as another veiled one. I dont exactly see how you can say this when you dont know me or are from anywhere near the same place. In fact I only ever see your 20v sit at shows so could I say the same about you? Lose the superiority complex and why dont we both twin our road cars in Portlaois next sunday? :D

Take a chilly brian you seem upset there its fact diamond wheels are 80$ a wheel thats all i was saying? Ok this basset crowd make "better" "lighter" STEEL wheels? i dont think theres a competitve market for steel wheels there tbh so id buy the cheapest balanced set i could as there purely for saving good real wheels from getting smashed rather than a cheap fix at ILLFITMEANTYO fad shite thats my view on steels anyways

Sorry if you picked me up wrong there at the end but i actually meant it as a complimeant as in fair juices to you for road going it cause i seen you pull in aroun half 12 and wait at the gate to cross.The dudes DC2 was gorgous from what i seen.

I have track car brian id just bring that thus I AM SUPERIOR:D:D:D
nah i gotta work though im doing mondello on the 25th though should be kewwwl

B.Egan
06-09-10, 15:43
Take a chilly brian you seem upset there its fact diamond wheels are 80$ a wheel thats all i was saying? Ok this basset crowd make "better" "lighter" STEEL wheels? i dont think theres a competitve market for steel wheels there tbh so id buy the cheapest balanced set i could as there purely for saving good real wheels from getting smashed rather than a cheap fix at ILLFITMEANTYO fad shite thats my view on steels anyways

Sorry if you picked me up wrong there at the end but i actually meant it as a complimeant as in fair juices to you for road going it cause i seen you pull in aroun half 12 and wait at the gate to cross.The dudes DC2 was gorgous from what i seen.

I have track car brian id just bring that thus I AM SUPERIOR:D:D:D
nah i gotta work though im doing mondello on the 25th though should be kewwwl
Not saying their much better or anything. There both quite similar, just Diamond Racing are known for being hard to deal with and taking ages. You will have to chase him alot to get a set. But even then Diamond Racing wont work out at $80 each to your door. You're welcome to find out. But it will be alot more than you think I'd imagine. Regardless I ment the trading thing in jest. As for "real wheels" etc. If 10s are good enough for Dennis Healy to drift on then they're good enough for me. I dont need the jdmtytessedyo wheels to make me feel kewl. Black Equip 03s in the future but they'll be fine for now.

Personally taking the risk of drifting your own raod car would make you superior. The whole point of having a track car is to go all out in it, alot harder to do the same in something you have to drive home that evening ha!!:D

I expect the drifting to all go shite in it tbh, but worth a shot and would be cool to have something different out there competing next year.

OT but think you were actually sitting behind my parents in the stand Cillian!! God only knows what they were saying and making of the whole lot haha!!:D Came up really to hear Dave commentate but actually really enjoyed the day and couldnt get over how professional and exciting the drifting was!

Tekno Twinky
06-09-10, 16:26
Not saying their much better or anything. There both quite similar, just Diamond Racing are known for being hard to deal with and taking ages. You will have to chase him alot to get a set. But even then Diamond Racing wont work out at $80 each to your door. You're welcome to find out. But it will be alot more than you think I'd imagine. Regardless I ment the trading thing in jest. As for "real wheels" etc. If 10s are good enough for Dennis Healy to drift on then they're good enough for me. I dont need the jdmtytessedyo wheels to make me feel kewl. Black Equip 03s in the future but they'll be fine for now.

Personally taking the risk of drifting your own raod car would make you superior. The whole point of having a track car is to go all out in it, alot harder to do the same in something you have to drive home that evening ha!!:D

I expect the drifting to all go shite in it tbh, but worth a shot and would be cool to have something different out there competing next year.

OT but think you were actually sitting behind my parents in the stand Cillian!! God only knows what they were saying and making of the whole lot haha!!:D Came up really to hear Dave commentate but actually really enjoyed the day and couldnt get over how professional and exciting the drifting was!

GTF ha i was actually trying to contain fowl language! think i may have offeneded possibly your mother when i fuck'd the judges for not sending o'shea through! Bring it up at dinner let her know im sorry if it was her lol:o:D

Yeah im just strongly over opinionated at the best of times tbh the cars clearly the tits but i like when people give their genuine thoughts up on my car(s) threads so thats just were im coming from really.

i love this long time except all the stickers in the windaaaaaaa
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4134/4937696283_1142651c7b_b.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs142.ash2/40451_455562960406_728020406_6198615_6198179_n.jpg

B.Egan
06-09-10, 16:55
GTF ha i was actually trying to contain fowl language! think i may have offeneded possibly your mother when i fuck'd the judges for not sending o'shea through! Bring it up at dinner let her know im sorry if it was her lol:o:D

Yeah im just strongly over opinionated at the best of times tbh the cars clearly the tits but i like when people give their genuine thoughts up on my car(s) threads so thats just were im coming from really.

i love this long time except all the stickers in the windaaaaaaa

Ha she hears worse dont worry!:D

No I respect your opinion alot, and take all on board. Just feel in general you've been pretty harsh on me over the years, whether it be built not bought comments, or not driving my cars as they should be. And to be honest both arent really justified if you knew me personally. But I'm very opinionated myself so cant hate someone who is the same. So huggles at the next event!;)

Mintos 5 is epic. Wanted to actually spray mine that colour, and then saw he done it first so had to forget it. Plus my paint I feel is in great nick so not gonna bother doing anything with it now. Love is rear cutout and diffuser idea.

Have to update this thread on all thats been done over the last while, just waiting on the pics. Still very much a work in progress, but starting to get there.

alan opel
06-09-10, 17:01
just waiting on the pics.

not the only one man! come on!:D

B.Egan
06-09-10, 17:10
not the only one man! come on!:D
Ha I've none myself Alan. But a mate has alright, just have to wait for him to send them onto me. Just seeing will any surface on this forum or other ones. Havent seen any of the front yet. Didnt arrive till about 1.30-2.00 on the Sunday, and just made it at that as was still trying to recover after the Monster party. Was there all sat though. Noboby might have taken any though.

nicknack
06-09-10, 20:45
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/paddymacken/IMG_1536-1.jpg

B.Egan
21-09-10, 17:02
Right so its about time I started updating this on what happened over the last month or so. This will be a long post so sorry about that. But I'll add in pics once I get them to break it up a bit.

So firstly I'd gotten the wheels and test fitted them with fresh 195/45 Toyo T1Rs alround. Immediately I found I'd have to get coilovers. Knew I'd have to anyway but thought I might be able to survive for a while without them...but I was wrong. Luckily though I managed to locate a set of Tein HA coilovers on donedeal for a bit of a bargain price. The coilovers were fitted and since the mx5 allows you to adjust camber, castor and toe as standard, we rolled the arches and set it to max camber and max low the night before Japfest.

I also got my bootlid spoiler from the UK, and in our carpark at about 5am before Japfest it was riveted on.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs313.ash2/59367_449046373728_515763728_4947301_3950059_n.jpg

Mechanically the sump was leaking. The exhaust manifold and another pipe needed to be welded. This was done and a full service done alround. Also wrapped the manifold in some top quality volcanic exhaust wrap!:confused:

Threw on the GOOD LUGGAGE sticker on the front and the car went to Japfest. It was running pretty sweet and looking pretty well, but still not quite there.....but close enough.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs678.snc4/61848_1629293298997_1436530750_31667203_6727607_n. jpg
http://juiceboxforyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/jp2-9-590x394.jpg

Now although the car was extremely low (you could just about fit your foot under the chassis rails), I drove it like this alright, and even did pizza deliveries in it and managed to get it over monsterous speedbumps......albeit with alot of scrapping and grinding. It was also not rubbing on full lock, aslong as you didnt go over a bad bump at the same time.

Drove it like this for a while, but then a drift day I wanted to do was looming and so I had to start getting it ready for that!

B.Egan
21-09-10, 17:13
So for the dirft day there was alot of things needed to have it 100% spot on for it. I knew I wouldnt have time to do it all so just tryed to sort the essentials. The diff and a hydro.

Now the diff is an ongoing saga that has been a bit of a disaster. It has a 1.6 VSLD. Welding it would have been fine only that the diff is so small and considering the power it was unlikely it would hold, and probably take the halfshafts with it. I had to be able to drive it home so it just wasnt an option. Getting a 1.8 diff, halfshafts and prop were the next option, but anywhere I rang who had those parts available were looking for stupid money. So Will_C came up with the idea of shimming the diff.

Heres the basic ideas of it:
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/200226-shimming-r200-j30-vlsd.html

Seems very successful on S-bodies so in theory should work on the 5 as its just the exact same just scaled down.

So I had to get shims made up and Colm off the site here helped me massively out and made them for me at short notice, and at a really really cheap price too!

I had previously bought a second 1.6 VSLD so the lads could rebuild this with the added shims, while I could still drive the car.

But it was now the night before the drift day. The lads rebuilt the diff and the shims seemed to work mint! Happy days!:D But after fitting it and running the car it was seen that the bearings were wanked in the diff. It couldnt be used as is. Sad days!:( So at about 4am before the drift day the lads put back in my other 1.6 VSLD. Disaster as it would have to do for the day. But the upside was that once the bearings get replaced the idea should work and I shouldnt have any more 1 wheel wonder problems. A silver lining at least.

Onto the hydro......

B.Egan
21-09-10, 17:18
So I got the hydro of Bart. Sadly the lines werent correct (batch flaw) and with only a few days to spare I had to quickly order a braided lines kit off driftworks.

Of course it was the day before the event when the hydro could be fitted. But who to fit it at short notice? So although the lads (Will_C and PaddyBren) were going doing the diff they said they'd also attempt the hydro, having never done one before.

Now mx5s dont have alot of room, but I still ideally wanted to have the hydro on the drivers side. We came up with a place where it would fit mint, and yet not annoy me. They fab'd up a bracket, plumbed it up, and bled it. I have to say it turned out immense! Perfect position for me and locks up mint. This I was delighted with!

At least something worked going to the driftday! :D

S14a johno
21-09-10, 17:21
looking good, how was it at the drift day :):):)
but seen it a jap fest looks savage :cool::cool:

B.Egan
21-09-10, 17:25
So went to the driftday not feeling very optimistic. I was worried enough about it being my first day, the mx5s snappy nature and not ideal max camber and max low setup, but adding in the fact I'd no diff gave me no hope I thought.....

.........and I was pretty right ha! The car one wheeled everywhere. I got some good slides, some hairy moments and violent spins, and got thrown about everywhere in the car with it being so stiff, so low, bumpy track and gutters, and no bucket seat or harness. But I did manage to get some good hydro entries that I was happy with once I got my courage up, so I did get to learn something about the car atleast. Also got to take the borthers S13 out for a while, and that really let me fell and see how a properly setup car will behave. Really looking forward now to the next day when I have a diff and can really go for it properly!

Heres a few pics:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs702.snc4/62195_1562955790249_1125981203_31650371_8377085_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs682.snc4/62195_1562955710247_1125981203_31650369_4152285_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs342.ash2/62195_1562955630245_1125981203_31650367_8003226_n. jpg

S14a johno
21-09-10, 17:30
sounds savage, i had the problem in the silvia, been thrown around
do ya have harness?
but intressing read keep up the work :)

B.Egan
21-09-10, 17:35
Okay so finally of this long stream of posts to try and catch up for the last good while (probably leaving alot out actually!).

Future plans:
Well the next drift day is 2 weeks, but I have a 21st to go to the night before anyway so going to give it a miss. So I have about 4 weeks to get the car setup alot better.

For the driftday I used the Enkies I have. I have these somewhat sold but may keep them now. If not then I think I'll get a set of sportmaxs or something to have for driftdays. I need to run less camber basically and I cant do this at the moment with the steelies. So I'm thinking I might get the arches flared. That will allow me to run the steelies with less camber hopefully.

But mainly the diff should be sorted and I'll learn alot more having that done, and it should be alot easier. Bucket seat and harness are pretty vital but probably wont be able to afford them in time....but we'll see. Also need to put some padding on the hydro, as I've a serious bruise on my leg from being thrown against it lol!!

If nothing it was a real good learning experience on what needs to be done with the car for the next day. I was gutted when the diff didnt work out, and wasnt even going to bother going out, but glad I did now. Maybe I could drift it with that much camber but I think I'm only putting added hassle on myself. So we'll try and tone it down a bit.

Lot of other plans in the works now actually but just have to see what funds allow I suppose. Stay tuned, and I'll re edit some of these posts with pics hopefully when I get them.

Mick K
21-09-10, 17:35
Serious parking in the first pic trixter:D

B.Egan
21-09-10, 17:37
sounds savage, i had the problem in the silvia, been thrown around
do ya have harness?
but intressing read keep up the work :)
I have no shortage of harnesses actually. I even have a harness bar in the mx5. Just I need a really short 2 seater harness. Actually sold my Takata one there, which was a pity as I've had it for quite a while now, but just would be too awkward to make it work I think.

B.Egan
21-09-10, 17:39
Serious parking in the first pic trixter:D

No I definately held that ha!!! Serious lock on the 5 loooike.........actually probably need to put added lock on the list of things to do aswell. Have a few vids I think but will have to see if theres anything in anyway salvageable drifting wise lol!:D

1-JAY-Z
21-09-10, 18:50
Love reading this thread. I must say the wheels completely!!! make the car!!, Keep up the good work maybe I missed it somehwere but roughly what power she running?

B.Egan
21-09-10, 19:19
Love reading this thread. I must say the wheels completely!!! make the car!!, Keep up the good work maybe I missed it somehwere but roughly what power she running?

Supposedly 220bhp at .8bar with a GTST turbo. But its probably not. Its certainly quick but its hard to compare it to anything else, so until I dyno it I suppose I wont really know for sure what it is figure wise tbh. But I'm happy out with the power and has more than enough for what I want. I'd say its probably between about 190-200bhp though?

1-JAY-Z
21-09-10, 19:25
Supposedly 220bhp at .8bar with a GTST turbo. But its probably not. Its certainly quick but its hard to compare it to anything else, so until I dyno it I suppose I wont really know for sure what it is figure wise tbh. But I'm happy out with the power and has more than enough for what I want. I'd say its probably between about 190-200bhp though?

Jesus it must be very quick sure these are probably lighter than a hachi are they?

B.Egan
21-09-10, 20:04
Jesus it must be very quick sure these are probably lighter than a hachi are they?

Wiki says 940kg, and hachis as 1000-1100kg. They'd be the same atleast I'd say. Its exactly what I wanted anyway. Quick, but yet cheap to run when driving easy, and cheap to tax and insure.

juice
21-09-10, 21:07
Wiki says 940kg, and hachis as 1000-1100kg. They'd be the same atleast I'd say. Its exactly what I wanted anyway. Quick, but yet cheap to run when driving easy, and cheap to tax and insure.

Sounds great, for once a plan comes together

alan opel
21-09-10, 21:22
finally some proper pics of how she looks:D:D looks sweet ted!

B.Egan
21-09-10, 21:49
Another pic I found from Japfest:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii234/amandaae86/DSCF9987.jpg

Quille
21-09-10, 22:38
very nice, i love neet tidy cars

coli2631
02-10-10, 14:24
mintu man

did i see this car outside reble pizza maynooth last night around 7pm

B.Egan
02-10-10, 15:27
mintu man

did i see this car outside reble pizza maynooth last night around 7pm
You would have, as I do deliveries for them in it. Still on the enkies from the last drift day as still need to get around to putting the steelies back on, and finally give it a wash ha! :D

POC
02-10-10, 20:41
Looks well brian but not gone on the chrome mirrors! Can of matt black for them...
Whats ecu is it running? get it dyno'd yet?

coli2631
03-10-10, 18:58
yeaah just spotted my eye on it there saw it at japfest then saw it out side rebles there was a mint e30 white and will from here his s15 is beast to

reble pizza ftw :P

B.Egan
03-10-10, 19:22
Looks well brian but not gone on the chrome mirrors! Can of matt black for them...
Whats ecu is it running? get it dyno'd yet?
Cheers man, and dont worry I hate them myself. That and the fuel cap should be off very soon, just need to get the finger out and get around to it. Its a HKS piggyback style system with injector controller, that controls the extra two injectors. Havent got it dyno'd yet. Want to try and get it 100% first, and theres alot of other things ahead of it on the list. Need an injection of money......or a sponsor lol? :D

yeaah just spotted my eye on it there saw it at japfest then saw it out side rebles there was a mint e30 white and will from here his s15 is beast to

reble pizza ftw :P
Yeh the e30 325 is for sale at the moment actually and wills s15 has now changed to a S14. Although the S15 is still about Kilcock/Maynooth.

Mick K
03-10-10, 19:42
Some piece for flames:p

Couldnt pull from an X5:eek::p

B.Egan
03-10-10, 20:18
Some piece for flames:p

Couldnt pull from an X5:eek::p

5th gear lad and just tipping along! I'll know for again if I spot you haha! :D

coli2631
05-10-10, 20:25
yeaa will changes his car all the time :P mintu cars tho

im local enought parklands so i do be down around seeing the one or 2 nice cars there is a nice twin gt coupe one day walking to school and thers always a r33 floating around

nicknack
06-10-10, 04:34
yeaa will changes his car all the time :P mintu cars tho

im local enought parklands so i do be down around seeing the one or 2 nice cars there is a nice twin gt coupe one day walking to school and thers always a r33 floating around

Phil in the print shop there owns the r33 that's mostly there! :)

B.Egan
08-10-10, 17:59
Ok so bit of an update more so on future plans rather than whats actually been done yet. Booked in for another drift day sunday week. Diff should be sorted and hopefully wont shit itself. The enkies will most likely be sold, so I'll be drifting on the steelies.

As I mentioned before I needed to come up with a way of running the steelies with less camber. Didnt want to go the wide fenders route, so going to get them flared. Have contacted Famous JH about it so just need to find a time that suits both of us. So the arches will be flared very soon hopefully, and I can then run less camber and get the car better set up drifting.

Step 1 of that will be a seriously trick bit of tailor made to your needs custom knuckles from the states. This will give me mental lock like below, so hopefully I can get the funds together to get them ASAP, although it wont be in time for the next day, so planning for the next one after.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj94/gotxqss/driftin/bd36b344.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x56/sddrift_photos/DSC_0019.jpg

Step 2 will be to then get the car properly aligned and set up. My brother got his S13 set up by Wez from WKD imports on his top of the range alignment and corner weighting gear. I've drifted his and loved it so will look to try and get Wez to do the best he can with the mx5 if he'll take it on.

Mick K
08-10-10, 19:44
Corner weighted?

B.Egan
08-10-10, 20:01
Corner weighted?

Yeh Wez has the equipment to do it AFAIK, as pretty sure Dave said it was done on his. Could be wrong though. Not vitally important or anything but might aswell get it done while its there (if it goes there of course)

Mick K
08-10-10, 20:03
I best not go further :)

Look into corner weighting.

B.Egan
08-10-10, 20:10
I best not go further :)

Look into corner weighting.

Please do Mick as I'm perplexed?

I know about corner weighting, I dont know how or if its benefits would relate or be any use to drifting, but I would certainly imagine that having an equal balance between left and right (if not front and rear) would surely be a benefit? Unless I'm missing something (like since in drifting you'd be shifting the weight balance all over the place when driving that it kind of makes it pointless)? If thats the case the car will most likely see track time also so i wouldnt see any harm in getting it done regardless? Or am I missing something obvious here? :D

B.Egan
16-10-10, 15:50
Right so yesterday I was heading down with the brother to Waterford to get the arches flared by Famous JH. I realised before the journey that my front tyres were in an appalling state. Like as bad as I've seen. But it was dry, and I'm stubborn, so went with the attitude it would be all fine and I could sort it out straightaway after...........

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs782.snc4/66285_1595098033785_1125981203_31720951_829359_n.j pg

Well as it turned out it wasnt ok, and the tyre blewout at about 70mph on the motorway. Caught it grand anyway, and managed to get it stopped on the hard shoulder. Expected worse damage but really the wheel was pretty ok after a few hammer blows. So gonna rearrange getting the arches done till next week.

So for the drift day tomorrow the diff is now in and just about to test it out during work. Got a lend of two front wheels for the day also, so hopefully nothing else goes wrong....

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs882.snc4/71558_1595202556398_1125981203_31721102_7776900_n. jpg

twailbait
16-10-10, 16:43
Its happened me a few times with the rear wheels. Dam camber!

Its a real pain cos the boots are to small to fit a proper wheel!

Famous jh
18-10-10, 19:13
Shit luck dude! We'll get the flarage on soon :cool:

B.Egan
19-10-10, 16:38
Shit luck dude! We'll get the flarage on soon :cool:

Cheers man, sorry I didnt get to text you back the last time. Just trying to decide what the hell I'll do with the car at the moment tbh. I've kind of run out of money, and was secretly hoping to compete in Prodrift next year with it. But just dont know now should I give up, maybe sell, and just get something ready to go (probly get an 86 again knowing me). Or stick it out, gradually get it sorted (and not loads left to do imo), and still try and maybe compete in something a little bit different. Wrecking my head, so gonna take a little while to try and decide what I'll do and then I'll let you know ASAP what the story is!

Famous jh
19-10-10, 16:51
Cheers man, sorry I didnt get to text you back the last time. Just trying to decide what the hell I'll do with the car at the moment tbh. I've kind of run out of money, and was secretly hoping to compete in Prodrift next year with it. But just dont know now should I give up, maybe sell, and just get something ready to go (probly get an 86 again knowing me). Or stick it out, gradually get it sorted (and not loads left to do imo), and still try and maybe compete in something a little bit different. Wrecking my head, so gonna take a little while to try and decide what I'll do and then I'll let you know ASAP what the story is!

Ah man dont give up now!! The attention you'd get would be unreal.... Be different!

B.Egan
08-01-11, 10:40
Right havent updated in a while, and for good reason. I now hate this car.

So close to being awesome, but yet I dont know if I can afford to finish it. Main plan for this year is to do Prodrift (if I'm still in Ireland), and on the money I can spare to save a week I dont know will I be able to get this up to spec in time.

Things that need sorting are:
Front arches need to be fixed and resprayed. Gonna cost me E200. May just say fuck it and matte black them.
Two upper front wishbones maybe, as mine supposedly pretty worn,
Then fit them and mega extra lock knuckles :D,
Finally get car aligned!
Should be a completely different car then, and has to be done, so will be done either way.

But the other main concern is the engine. Burning a bit of oil. Worrying me now. Worst come to worse engines are really cheap for these, but since I'm not a mechanic the labour and hassle etc of changing it would be a bit killer to my plans. All turbo kit parts etc (the expensive bits) are fine and would just bolt back on, so its the labour really that would kill me. Will do a compression test ASAP to try and figure out this part a bit more.

Factor in then getting a cage, kill switches, fire extinguisher and all the other little bits, plus a race suit and gear for myself and it starts to add up. And thats without any practice days which wouldnt be ideal.

So its been really tearing at me what to do over the christmas. Scrap the idea, sell on relatively cheap as it sits now (car stands me a stupid amount of money), although not really a market there anyway, or just try and persevere but possibly end up with no money and no car ready.

Selling cheap would still have to be in the 5k bracket though, so its not exactly small money. In theory I could then buy Paul McCarthys M3 for example, or even my old FC back, but 5k isnt easy to get, especially when the car needs a bit of work (although alot would be sorted before sale).

Good thing about the mx5 is that its possibly appealing to sponsors as its different, unique, and would get attention (which is the main point of sponsorship). But I cant sort out even small scale stuff with possible sponsors as I dont want to promise things without knowing I can 100% be there. So really dont know what to do and just talking out loud here.......... but FML at the moment!:(

Tekno Twinky
08-01-11, 10:59
Right havent updated in a while, and for good reason. I now hate this car.

So close to being awesome, but yet I dont know if I can afford to finish it. Main plan for this year is to do Prodrift (if I'm still in Ireland), and on the money I can spare to save a week I dont know will I be able to get this up to spec in time.

Things that need sorting are:
Front arches need to be fixed and resprayed. Gonna cost me E200. May just say fuck it and matte black them.
Two upper front wishbones maybe, as mine supposedly pretty worn,
Then fit them and mega extra lock knuckles :D,
Finally get car aligned!
Should be a completely different car then, and has to be done, so will be done either way.

But the other main concern is the engine. Burning a bit of oil. Worrying me now. Worst come to worse engines are really cheap for these, but since I'm not a mechanic the labour and hassle etc of changing it would be a bit killer to my plans. All turbo kit parts etc (the expensive bits) are fine and would just bolt back on, so its the labour really that would kill me. Will do a compression test ASAP to try and figure out this part a bit more.

Factor in then getting a cage, kill switches, fire extinguisher and all the other little bits, plus a race suit and gear for myself and it starts to add up. And thats without any practice days which wouldnt be ideal.

So its been really tearing at me what to do over the christmas. Scrap the idea, sell on relatively cheap as it sits now (car stands me a stupid amount of money), although not really a market there anyway, or just try and persevere but possibly end up with no money and no car ready.

Selling cheap would still have to be in the 5k bracket though, so its not exactly small money. In theory I could then buy Paul McCarthys M3 for example, or even my old FC back, but 5k isnt easy to get, especially when the car needs a bit of work (although alot would be sorted before sale).

Good thing about the mx5 is that its possibly appealing to sponsors as its different, unique, and would get attention (which is the main point of sponsorship). But I cant sort out even small scale stuff with possible sponsors as I dont want to promise things without knowing I can 100% be there. So really dont know what to do and just talking out loud here.......... but FML at the moment!:(

Sounds like your head is in a processing overload lol.. i know how your feeling. Hope the engine is good. Burning oil as in how much? My 20v burns a bit but i read on clubae111 they burn more depending on oil type though, what oil type are you using? i wouldnt imagine your revs are mad high ? the last drift day in my sub-road car i was @ 9k in areas :o.

Prodrift is a load of shite imo if we all organised to go to drift practice days at mondello it would be a thousand times more fun. Get trains goin an everything. PD is mental money, an SR20 is pretty much on the inspection list and the judgeing is somewhat zoned.. If a few of the photographers on the site came youd get a great return for your hardwork at the end of it.

twailbait
08-01-11, 13:31
Know the feeling, for the last 6months I`ve spebt a small fortune on parts, and still spending, i think that a mx wouldnt be competitive enough in this country when your going up againts 350bhp sr`s.

Don`t loose hope yet! just scrap prodrift idea for the moment..

B.Egan
10-01-11, 17:14
Sounds like your head is in a processing overload lol.. i know how your feeling. Hope the engine is good. Burning oil as in how much? My 20v burns a bit but i read on clubae111 they burn more depending on oil type though, what oil type are you using? i wouldnt imagine your revs are mad high ? the last drift day in my sub-road car i was @ 9k in areas :o.

Prodrift is a load of shite imo if we all organised to go to drift practice days at mondello it would be a thousand times more fun. Get trains goin an everything. PD is mental money, an SR20 is pretty much on the inspection list and the judgeing is somewhat zoned.. If a few of the photographers on the site came youd get a great return for your hardwork at the end of it.
No its burning a proper good amount of oil, even when driving normally. So I'd suspect piston rings maybe or something like that. My 20v was the same as yours on track alright, they all seem to be. But yeh processing overload at the time of posting that anyway lol!

I kind of just really want to do Prodrift now as I feel its now or never. I'll probably emmigrate soon enough, or atleast going abroad to do a masters. I've wanted and tried to enter some sort of motorsport for a few years now, and Prodrift now seems the most likely for me. The practice days and stuff will probably be hit either way, but I would really like to try and experience the pressure and competition of an event/season if possible.

Know the feeling, for the last 6months I`ve spebt a small fortune on parts, and still spending, i think that a mx wouldnt be competitive enough in this country when your going up againts 350bhp sr`s.

Don`t loose hope yet! just scrap prodrift idea for the moment..
For amateur level power wise at least I'd say a 200bhp ish mx should be ok. Not ideal of course, but if a 200bhp ish 86 would be ok, then a mx with more torque should be possible too. I'd be confident it would pull third anyway as is so power wise they're actually pretty good. But if I do it in the mx5 then I wouldnt expect to be too competitive anyway, with it being my first year drifting on track etc etc but ya never know. In the states and the UK mx5s with less power have done ok at lower levels so wouldnt say its out of the question, just more down to whether I'm anyway decent or not lol! Not ideal, but not impossible imo.

But over the weekend, in between alot of drinking, I did a good bit of thinking and planning, so things are gonna start moving on this quickly again, for the moment at least. Wishbones ordered, and the compression test should be done this week. So we'll see from there....

MartyMoore
10-01-11, 17:20
keeeep it lol , such a nice car , i think you should hold out of prodrift until you have the car 100%

B.Egan
10-01-11, 17:25
keeeep it lol , such a nice car , i think you should hold out of prodrift until you have the car 100%

Ah well I suppose its about 4 months away anyway. But just want to know if I'm heading in the right direction or not before continuing to plow money into it lol! Regardless of Prodrift I want to be out drifting somewhere anyway whether it be practice days or that. Have a few ideas for the exterior too which I'd like to try but will have to sort out the important stuff first. But anyway I'm back on track for the moment atleast and we'll just have to see from there!!:D

twailbait
10-01-11, 17:26
No its burning a proper good amount of oil, even when driving normally. So I'd suspect piston rings maybe or something like that. My 20v was the same as yours on track alright, they all seem to be. But yeh processing overload at the time of posting that anyway lol!

I kind of just really want to do Prodrift now as I feel its now or never. I'll probably emmigrate soon enough, or atleast going abroad to do a masters. I've wanted and tried to enter some sort of motorsport for a few years now, and Prodrift now seems the most likely for me. The practice days and stuff will probably be hit either way, but I would really like to try and experience the pressure and competition of an event/season if possible.

For amateur level power wise at least I'd say a 200bhp ish mx should be ok. Not ideal of course, but if a 200bhp ish 86 would be ok, then a mx with more torque should be possible too. I'd be confident it would pull third anyway as is so power wise they're actually pretty good. But if I do it in the mx5 then I wouldnt expect to be too competitive anyway, with it being my first year drifting on track etc etc but ya never know. In the states and the UK mx5s with less power have done ok at lower levels so wouldnt say its out of the question, just more down to whether I'm anyway decent or not lol! Not ideal, but not impossible imo.

But over the weekend, in between alot of drinking, I did a good bit of thinking and planning, so things are gonna start moving on this quickly again, for the moment at least. Wishbones ordered, and the compression test should be done this week. So we'll see from there....

But even in the amateur class there are pro spec cars competing, cough, jay, cough! But if you think that you can pull 3rd then you should be grand.

Exactly!

Stevo
10-01-11, 17:27
Bail while ya still have money, sbodies would be better for sliding imo :(

twailbait
10-01-11, 17:29

But every other car in drifting is an s body.

Doing it in something different is what you want!

I plan on doing a season of prodrift in the car at some stage, but it won't be this year!

B.Egan
10-01-11, 17:39
But even in the amateur class there are pro spec cars competing, cough, jay, cough! But if you think that you can pull 3rd then you should be grand.

Lol I know, but I suppose either way I wont have a top pro spec car, so just have to make do I suppose. But yes I suppose even power wise I can always look for more, go for the 250bhp mark say if I do have to do engine work anyway. Wont get ahead of myself though on that front though, its more control, setup, and reliability I'm worried about at the moment anyway

You are 100% right lol....but sadly my opinion is exactly the same as twails below!

But every other car in drifting is an s body.

Doing it in something different is what you want!

I plan on doing a season of prodrift in the car at some stage, but it won't be this year!

Prodrifter86
10-01-11, 17:52
Even though this car is awesome for crusing and a bit of skidding. but can you get the grip and easy access and cheap parts to make this a Pro car???

twailbait
10-01-11, 17:56
Even though this car is awesome for crusing and a bit of skidding. but can you get the grip and easy access and cheap parts to make this a Pro car???

Grip?? Mx5's are famous for being a savage handling car! they also have adjustable suspension as standard so its not to hard to mess around with!

Power would be the main problem, but once its turbo's your flying.

Prodrifter86
10-01-11, 18:02
Grip?? Mx5's are famous for being a savage handling car! they also have adjustable suspension as standard so its not to hard to mess around with!

yeah ino there really good at handeling. but i suppose if they suspension is set up right. with big enough power for power/weight ratio. it should fly along. wudnt like to roll a soft top though. even with a cage .

twailbait
10-01-11, 18:03
yeah ino there really good at handeling. but i suppose if they suspension is set up right. with big enough power for power/weight ratio. it should fly along. wudnt like to roll a soft top though. even with a cage .

Thats the best thing about them!Wind blowing in your hair! Once you've the cage your grand! Can't wait to get mine built!

Prodrifter86
10-01-11, 18:06
Thats the best thing about them!Wind blowing in your hair! Once you've the cage your grand! Can't wait to get mine built!

haha lol

yeah there one little coool car for skidding... so i dno dudes. im not against going for PD would be a first for this country id say:)

twailbait
10-01-11, 18:07
haha lol

yeah there one little coool car for skidding... so i dno dudes. im not against going for PD would be a first for this country id say:)

Its all about the wind blowing in your hair

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs790.snc4/67080_433730163301_692323301_5195155_2175393_n.jpg

Simon
10-01-11, 18:08
Its all about the wind blowing in your hair

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs790.snc4/67080_433730163301_692323301_5195155_2175393_n.jpg

That photo was taken by the FAG ALERT POLICE :D

twailbait
10-01-11, 18:10
Well being gay and driving an mx5 do go hand in hand. Just never forget to bring the poppers with you when going for a spin.

B.Egan
10-01-11, 18:13

Exactly as said. Power wise, performance parts are pretty easily got from the UK. Big enough turbo/sc community over there. Standard parts and panels are actually very easy got as alot of mx5s in the country + with alot of women owners = alot of crashed mx5s and cars for breaking lol!! (waits to get slated :D)

But when you start trying to get drift specific parts, like the extra lock knuckles I got, or diffs etc then it does get alot more difficult, alot more figuring out and more expensive. Ideally I'd look to swap the 1.6 rear end for a 1.8 one for reliability, but the 1.6 has held up fine so far at least. Cage should be cheaper is a plus though! :D

Well I do have a hardtop, but wouldnt bother me anyway, large amount of open tops drifting in FD and I wont be anywhere near their speeds. Smoke in your hair ftw haha!!

Prodrifter86
10-01-11, 19:31
Exactly as said. Power wise, performance parts are pretty easily got from the UK. Big enough turbo/sc community over there. Standard parts and panels are actually very easy got as alot of mx5s in the country + with alot of women owners = alot of crashed mx5s and cars for breaking lol!! (waits to get slated :D)

But when you start trying to get drift specific parts, like the extra lock knuckles I got, or diffs etc then it does get alot more difficult, alot more figuring out and more expensive. Ideally I'd look to swap the 1.6 rear end for a 1.8 one for reliability, but the 1.6 has held up fine so far at least. Cage should be cheaper is a plus though! :D

Well I do have a hardtop, but wouldnt bother me anyway, large amount of open tops drifting in FD and I wont be anywhere near their speeds. Smoke in your hair ftw haha!!

actually yeah i didnt tink of the FD cars skidding.. with open tops. i dno dude. it up to you at the end of the day.... u can always leave it at the hair salon :p only kidding. they are a cool little car

B.Egan
10-01-11, 19:47
actually yeah i didnt tink of the FD cars skidding.. with open tops. i dno dude. it up to you at the end of the day.... u can always leave it at the hair salon :p only kidding. they are a cool little car

peter marks already onboard for sponsorship, loreal like the car...but not sure I'm worth it yet

B.Egan
19-01-11, 23:22
Right so now I'm back on track.....and actually really excited about this again!

First we went to do the compression test. But again the car fought me, and 2 plugs just wont come out. Size 16 is slipping off, so short of hammering a 15 on (which doesnt seem like a great idea) it just wouldnt happen for me. Compression in the other two was 180psi (190 is factory spec), so I'm guessing something in the head (most likely valve stem seals). Either way I figured it was gonna be as much hassle to strip, diagnose and then fix the problem, as just getting another engine.

So I just sorted out a 1.6 engine, with less than 15k since being rebuilt for about E300 delivered from the UK. Bit of a bargain I think, so went ahead and got it. Should be delivered mid next week. It will also mean I could always build the other engine to proper mental spec over a long time frame if I wanted.

Next plan is to then hopefully go standalone management instead of the basic extra injector controller setup. So currently looking like I'll get a Megasquirt (MS2) plug and play, with IAT sensor and a wideband 02, so I can get rid of my AFM, and free up some more power. Also need to get some bigger injectors. Will be hoping for a good bit more power than what it was when done, but also for it to be reliable and safe.

Exterior wise theres a good few plans in the discussion stage atm, but pretty sure it will be changing quite a bit anyway.

Spending quite a bit, so it will now have to be kept for quite a long time. But I'm committed to it now and think it'll be worth it. God knows how I'll afford the cage and all the other bits in time, but gonna just take it step by step anyway...

Micko
19-01-11, 23:26
Good stuff, a man with a plan:D

Are you going to go full drift spec now or track/ road compromise Brian?

Simon
19-01-11, 23:28
so pro drift is a go ahead?

Prodrifter86
19-01-11, 23:35
peter marks already onboard for sponsorship, loreal like the car...but not sure I'm worth it yet

hahaha nice 1. well best of luck with the build. you'll be making history in prodrift with this machine ? :D

B.Egan
19-01-11, 23:37
Good stuff, a man with a plan:D

Are you going full drift spec or track/ road compromise Brian?

I dont really know. It will be a compromise realistically. Obviously not going to be doing seam welding and proper shell build, or a mahooosive cage. But it should have all the right parts to be a liveable balance between the two.

The way I see it now is:

1. Suspension: Pretty sorted with the Tein Coilovers and now the massive extra lock. Along with the mx5 already having fully adjustable camber, castor and toe as standard. Just a proper setup badly needed

2. Brakes: Sorted with the massive 2.5 brakes.

3. Engine: Fingers crossed it'll be alright, and with plenty of power

4. Clutch & Gearbox: 3 Paddle, and gearbox seems very good

5. Rear end: Main concern area. 1.6 one may shit itself and have to go 1.8. But think I'll just ignore that for the moment....

So hopefully I'm narrowing in on all the problem areas, and it will just be a case of deciding what to do fully or commit to after.......

B.Egan
19-01-11, 23:45
so pro drift is a go ahead?

hahaha nice 1. well best of luck with the build. you'll be making history in prodrift with this machine ? :D

Still a bit up in the air. Plans are still yes, but round one is gonna be a rush (well depending on dates), and a real budget stretch. But hoping to have it ready in time to compete in the portlaoise comp (obviously no cage and prodrift spec stuff), and that would be a good shakedown and test to see if its feasible.

B.Egan
24-01-11, 23:37
Parts starting to arrive, enroute, or ordered.

Will start getting pics up as it is pretty gay without them. I'll see what the one on my phone is like. Also started messing around with ideas for the exterior. A large amount of cardboard has been gathered and just started measuring and mocking up stuff. It'll probably all look wank, but no harm in trying it out in cardboard first. Have a rough vision of what it might look like....could be cool....could be shit

God knows what the spray job will turn out like but I have faith in myself.....well none in myself actually, but more so in young brennan who will be doing it with me hopefully! Will only be a satin/matte colour anyway so surely cant come out too badly.

My engine should be picked up tomorrow, and arrive on thursday. Then the whole thing will begin in earnest. Havent bought as many parts for a car in quite a while so lovin this, even if my credit card isnt lol! :D

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q85/itsy_bitsy88/083.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q85/itsy_bitsy88/087.jpg

B.Egan
01-02-11, 11:13
Work began properly on this about last thursday. Deadline of 5th of march to have the engine changed, all the turbo stuff bolted back on, all the new ecu/sensors etc fitted, rear end change (hopefully), prep and respray, interior removal/spraying/changes, design and make some aero bits (maybe), front suspension, align, and map the car is ambitious. But I think we'll manage.

Engine arrived as did some other bits. Still waiting on some stuff though.

So some pics of how it stood just before we started:
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/199/img6728x.jpg
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4301/img6730v.jpg
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/2173/img6731h.jpg
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/9468/img6732g.jpg

A bit later......after alot of hesitation......I was fully committed to the respray anyway lol! :D
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6863/img6742a.jpg

pole drift
01-02-11, 11:17
jeasus i see what you were sayin to be about sanding down to the metal!!!

1-JAY-Z
01-02-11, 11:27
Feck, lol what colour you going, this is gonna be a super little car, I've never driven one but they have this great rep for been so good handling wise, Does this make them hard to drift? Keep up the good work, Hope to join you shortly, my car is fairly up to spec now too when I think about, just need few small niggly bits and just seat time then,

edit:
I kinda liked the green too. lol

POC
01-02-11, 11:31
Good luck with it lad, deadline's are a must with this stuff!
What sort of power you aiming for?

twailbait
01-02-11, 11:37
Car looks great, good work. Did you get the Ecu in the end or are you going another route??

B.Egan
01-02-11, 11:42
jeasus i see what you were sayin to be about sanding down to the metal!!!
Vaguely remember sayin that alright ha! Went a bit overboard, but its only the bonnet anyway.

Feck, lol what colour you going, this is gonna be a super little car, I've never driven one but they have this great rep for been so good handling wise, Does this make them hard to drift? Keep up the good work, Hope to join you shortly, my car is fairly up to spec now too when I think about, just need few small niggly bits and just seat time then,

edit:
I kinda liked the green too. lol
Will be satin white with alot of black bits basically. Nothing 100% decided yet though. As said before, they have been drifted....but alot of ppl have tried and failed or struggled too. Not the best base realistically, but I have high hopes for it, and it'll be good to tear it up with ya out there mate....you're alot closer than me as it stands anyway lo!:D

Good luck with it lad, deadline's are a must with this stuff!
What sort of power you aiming for?
Yeh without the deadline, I'd say it would just drag on for years. Power wise I'd say somewhere in the 220-250bhp range. Anymore and things will maybe start shitting themselves, and any less and I probably wont be overly happy tbh.

B.Egan
01-02-11, 11:48
Car looks great, good work. Did you get the Ecu in the end or are you going another route??

Yeh guy has almost finished it now. Just says hes struggling to get this extra "control two or more fans" feature working. Other than that its done and I should have it by friday. Actually worked out at E520 delivered, along with the IAT and TPS sensors, for your own knowledge....but still a very good deal to be fair. Got a set of 550cc injectors for E130 delivered from the US aswell :D, but still waiting on them to arrive :(. Wideband arrived last week.

Also "fingers crossed" I may have a deal sorted with mx5ideways on here for a 1.8 diff and halfshafts. Would just have to pick up a 1.8 prop then. Would be alot happier if I get the rear ended sorted tbh, rather than just chancing the 1.6 for the moment...

And supposedly my turbo is absolutely minty minty fresh too which is good news. It was "blueprinted" to the engine before, and possibly rebuilt I think (will check receipts) about 2 years ago maybe, but good to see its still 100%.

twailbait
01-02-11, 11:52
Yeh guy has almost finished it now. Just says hes struggling to get this extra "control two or more fans" feature working. Other than that its done and I should have it by friday. Actually worked out at E520 delivered, along with the IAT and TPS sensors, for your own knowledge....but still a very good deal to be fair. Got a set of 550cc injectors for E130 delivered from the US aswell :D, but still waiting on them to arrive :(. Wideband arrived last week.

Also "fingers crossed" I may have a deal sorted with mx5ideways on here for a 1.8 diff and halfshafts. Would just have to pick up a 1.8 prop then. Would be alot happier if I get the rear ended sorted tbh, rather than just chancing the 1.6 for the moment...

Cool cool, thats cheap, I got stung with customs so mine ended up costing agood bit! You on't be disappointed with it, the amount of features that are on it is unreal!! I've been talking to Joe, and he's taking mine in for mapping whenever I get it done.

Yeah I was on to him a while back and never got around to finalising a deal! So its all yours so!!

B.Egan
01-02-11, 12:01
Cool cool, thats cheap, I got stung with customs so mine ended up costing agood bit! You on't be disappointed with it, the amount of features that are on it is unreal!! I've been talking to Joe, and he's taking mine in for mapping whenever I get it done.

Yeah I was on to him a while back and never got around to finalising a deal! So its all yours so!!

Good stuff. Got a serial to usb port thing......so will be awful tempted to start fiddling and blow the thing up lol! But very cool...and F&Fish for monitoring atleast. I'd say I'll try and go with Joe aswell. Havent actually seen any work hes done or been to urban before, but some of my mates know him quite well, and I need dyno mapping. Did he say there was any sort of a waiting list actually? Or how much notice would you need to give him?

Yeh hoping to swap some bits I have for the diff and halfshafts. Think it could work out for both of us....especially as I'm pretty skint

twailbait
01-02-11, 12:09
Good stuff. Got a serial to usb port thing......so will be awful tempted to start fiddling and blow the thing up lol! But very cool...and F&Fish for monitoring atleast. I'd say I'll try and go with Joe aswell. Havent actually seen any work hes done or been to urban before, but some of my mates know him quite well, and I need dyno mapping. Did he say there was any sort of a waiting list actually? Or how much notice would you need to give him?

Yeh hoping to swap some bits I have for the diff and halfshafts. Think it could work out for both of us....especially as I'm pretty skint

Joe does know his stuff, I had a good long chat with him the other day, and he's very confident in what he will do with it. I've only ever heard good stuff from him.
As regards to notice, I know he's away for this week, but once he's back Im sure a few days is all thats needed. Actually, maybe if both of use are going up at the same time he'll do a deal? Two turbo'd mx5's running the same ecu and injectors? Its worth a shot!!

B.Egan
01-02-11, 12:19
Joe does know his stuff, I had a good long chat with him the other day, and he's very confident in what he will do with it. I've only ever heard good stuff from him.
As regards to notice, I know he's away for this week, but once he's back Im sure a few days is all thats needed. Actually, maybe if both of use are going up at the same time he'll do a deal? Two turbo'd mx5's running the same ecu and injectors? Its worth a shot!!

Very much worth a shot. Both ours will be very similar spec wise anyway I'd imagine. Although realistically I'm aiming for between the 24th Feb to 5th March for mapping......and thats being hopeful, so maybe you'll want it before that?

Did you get a quote actually? I have a rough idea of a price in my head, but would be nice to know exactly how much to put aside. PM if you want

twailbait
01-02-11, 12:34
Very much worth a shot. Both ours will be very similar spec wise anyway I'd imagine. Although realistically I'm aiming for between the 24th Feb to 5th March for mapping......and thats being hopeful, so maybe you'll want it before that?

Did you get a quote actually? I have a rough idea of a price in my head, but would be nice to know exactly how much to put aside. PM if you want

Yeah they should be similar enough alright!
Not a clue when mines going to be done to tell you the truth.

Pm your way.

B.Egan
15-02-11, 01:34
Lot happening on this still. Just dont have the pics yet to upload.

The engine I got seems 100% and was rebuilt, so thats good. Loosing track of all the stuff I've got tbh, but will do a proper spec up when its finished. Extra lock is fitted and looks like a lot of fun :D, plus should hopefully have the twin trust DD shotgun style pipes fitted sooner rather than later. Hoping for paint this weekend (keep changing my mind on it though), and mapping the following weekend. Starting to get tight time wise, but also starting to take shape.....cant wait to just drive it now! Head is wrecked stressing out about everything!!

haydomiata
15-02-11, 20:30

The engine I got seems 100% and was rebuilt, so thats good. Loosing track of all the stuff I've got tbh, but will do a proper spec up when its finished. Extra lock is fitted and looks like a lot of fun :D, plus should hopefully have the twin trust DD shotgun style pipes fitted sooner rather than later. Hoping for paint this weekend (keep changing my mind on it though), and mapping the following weekend. Starting to get tight time wise, but also starting to take shape.....cant wait to just drive it now! Head is wrecked stressing out about everything!!

Car looks amazing lad fair play to ya cant wait to see it in portloise givin me sum ideas for mine
wer did u get the spoiler looks lovrly :D

twailbait
15-02-11, 20:42

You going shotgun too!:cool:

B.Egan
15-02-11, 22:25
You going shotgun too!:cool:

Yep, always loved trust DDs on 86s so might aswell. Slightly staggered and angled too. But mainly since its gonna be 90% a track car I want it to be alot louder than it is now. Plus the HKS superdragger backbox gets in the way of the diffuser I'm makin up. Will C's gonna give it a shot on friday hopefully

Alan B.
16-02-11, 00:21
spotted something today actually and thought you might like em for the mx5, forgot to tell you earlier when i was talkin to you.
those cherry blossom wheels have been re released.

B.Egan
16-02-11, 00:38
Car looks amazing lad fair play to ya cant wait to see it in portloise givin me sum ideas for mine
wer did u get the spoiler looks lovrly :D
Cheers mate, should look well when finished. Will be very tight to have all the little aero bits I want made up, aswell as a few stickers/vinyl in time for portlaoise. But hopefully it'll work out.

Heres where I got the spoiler. Pretty cheap: http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40603&st=0&p=546935&fromsearch=1&#entry546935

spotted something today actually and thought you might like em for the mx5, forgot to tell you earlier when i was talkin to you.
those cherry blossom wheels have been re released.
The Rota copies Alan? Wouldnt be a big fan of cherry blossoms actually, unless in proper mental sizes. The copies actually come in decent sizes, but I fear they'll be like their Hayashi copies, or their equip copies and look a bit shit. The grid Vs do actually look quite well to be fair. But if and when I do change wheels, I'm pretty sure I wont be going Rota. Black Equip 03s, Watanabes or ideally Enkie Winds Auto Barrells would be the hope, but that will be a long time away I fear!! Very rare for that stuff to pop up on the japaneese auctions in 4x100 as far as I can tell

Alan B.
16-02-11, 00:54
i didnt spot who was making them, i just saw re-release, so i presumed they where a sanctioned repro rather then a rota copy.

just thought they would look awsome with the color we where talkin about tonight.

nicknack
16-02-11, 02:06
Just 2 pics I have before the Demolition occurred!!

I'll let Brian post up the rest!
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/paddymacken/IMG_6728.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/paddymacken/IMG_6730.jpg

Tekno Twinky
16-02-11, 02:34
Just 2 pics I have before the Demolition occurred!!

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/paddymacken/IMG_6728.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/paddymacken/IMG_6730.jpg

demolition? :eek:

nicknack
16-02-11, 03:01
demolition? :eek:

ok, incorrect terminology!! Have been up since early this morning!!

Shall we say, transformation!! :D

Alan B.
16-02-11, 13:08
resurection might be better again.

juice
16-02-11, 16:28
[QUOTE=nicknack;241897]Just 2 pics I have before the Demolition occurred!!

Wont be expecting them anytime soon so :rolleyes:

nicknack
16-02-11, 17:23
[QUOTE=nicknack;241897]Just 2 pics I have before the Demolition occurred!!

Eh.hem.... He has them as we speak!! Ye smart heure ya!!!!!!

B.Egan
16-02-11, 17:23

Cunt!:D Here head up for the portlaoise comp btw, should be a good bitta craic.

Pictures are a bit all over the place, and dont really document everything but will throw up what I have.

In the garage where Paddy Bren starts the mechanical work on it:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9409/img6767n.jpg
By brianegan87 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/brianegan87) at 2011-02-17
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6003/img67721.jpg
By Brianegan87 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/Brianegan87) at 2011-02-17
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7913/img6773c.jpg

B.Egan
17-02-11, 15:53
Started to then strip the interior. Roof, seats, doorcards all going. Good bit of weight to be saved by removing the roof actually, and no need for it since I have the hardtop. Plus its something extra to sell and generate some much needed funds.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/1051/img6792oe.jpg
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/9793/img6783r.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2871/img6796y.jpg
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2964/img6798a.jpg
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9381/img6800o.jpg

B.Egan
17-02-11, 15:59
Just a random lift pic and random photoshop:

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4627/img6856k.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/i/img6856k.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/144/img6894v.jpg (http://img594.imageshack.us/i/img6894v.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Aidan Hogan
17-02-11, 17:13
wow you fairly stripped that :eek:

B.Egan
22-02-11, 02:33
So less than two weeks to Portlaoise and things arent too rosey....

Engine and all the stuff back in. But cant get it started. No spark and no fuel. Cant manage to connect to the megasquirt via laptop either (serial to usb), but may have come up with a solution for that......well probably not knowing my look. Hoping to...well need to...send it off to be mapped friday or sat, so time is against us to solve this problem.

But in addition to that, halfshafts I got wont work. Have the 1.8 diff, and prop but now need to try and locate 1.8 halfshafts, and for cheaps....spent the day out in the scrapyard but no use. Will search again tomorrow for a solution. Diff will need to then be welded and all that jazz too.....

Interior is stripped out, will need to fit the seats that I got (if they will fit), and probably get mounts fab'd up.

Car is 70% preped for paint. Needs to be finished but cant do that where it is atm. If I manage to just get the primer on it before the comp I'll be doing well.

Aero I want to make, and stickers/logos/designs are looking very doubtful to get in time either. But I suppose not the end of the world, although it will piss me off not to have it how I want.........the definition of least of my problems though

The will_c custom exhaust just needs a bit to be finished off too......but the design had but a :D back on my face for a bit!

Then I need to sort the terrible alignment, and get tyres, organise a trailer to get to the mapping, and just piles of other hassle.

Basically if anyone is reading this and thinkin:
"shit thats a cool enough idea and somethin different, wouldnt mind trying that myself"
honestly......just buy a fuckin s body.........this cant be worth the hassle

twailbait
22-02-11, 09:46
Simple solution to get it to connect to laptop. Can't remember exactly, but you'll find it online. Go to your device manager select on the com/ports, select which one it's using and change it to a free port below ten. Can't really explain it but I can do it! Then go to megatune and select to connect to the same port. If you can't do it it ring me and I'll sit at my computer and talk you through it. 086 8463532
tim

pole drift
22-02-11, 10:05
Brian if your stuck for an extra pair of hands give me a shout 0876324017

Alan B.
22-02-11, 15:04
im heading out there in a bit if ya need a hand.

B.Egan
22-02-11, 16:18
Simple solution to get it to connect to laptop. Can't remember exactly, but you'll find it online. Go to your device manager select on the com/ports, select which one it's using and change it to a free port below ten. Can't really explain it but I can do it! Then go to megatune and select to connect to the same port. If you can't do it it ring me and I'll sit at my computer and talk you through it. 086 8463532
tim

Cheers! Figured this out last night after posting actually after searching on miataturbo. We were using com 11,12 and 16. But I've since just found out that only TunerstudioMS will work with my ecu and firmware MSII/Extra firmware 3.1.0. I first thought this was a bad thing....but after checking it out its deadly compared to megatune. Gonna pay the 40 dollars to get the full version as you get all this cool stuff!:
http://www.efianalytics.com/TunerStudio/#dashboard

A touch screen pc like you got and somehow mount it in the dash would be amazing. Can set it up anyway you want, whatever gauges, design etc that you can think of.

So heading back out at 5.30, and since I managed to get a signal back through tunerstudioMS yesterday anyway (using the mini terminal shite), I know the ecu and the serial connection is working. I just didnt setup tunerstudioMS correct as was only concentrating on megatune.

Fingers crossed we'll connect anyway, it doesnt solve anything really, but it will diagnose the problem hopefully......

Cheers Joe and Alan aswell, but I'm hopeful for this evening to work out better.

twailbait
22-02-11, 16:22
Cheers! Figured this out last night after posting actually after searching on miataturbo. We were using com 11,12 and 16. But I've since just found out that only TunerstudioMS will work with my ecu and firmware MSII/Extra firmware 3.1.0. I first thought this was a bad thing....but after checking it out its deadly compared to megatune. Gonna pay the 40 dollars to get the full version as you get all this cool stuff!:
http://www.efianalytics.com/TunerStudio/#dashboard

A touch screen pc like you got and somehow mount it in the dash would be amazing. Can set it up anyway you want, whatever gauges, design etc that you can think of.

So heading back out at 5.30, and since I managed to get a signal back through tunerstudioMS yesterday anyway (using the mini terminal shite), I know the ecu and the serial connection is working. I just didnt setup tunerstudioMS correct as was only concentrating on megatune.

Fingers crossed we'll connect anyway, it doesnt solve anything really, but it will diagnose the problem hopefully......

Cheers Joe and Alan aswell, but I'm hopeful for this evening to work out better.

Yep tunerstudio is the shit! Well worth the 40 quid, and its cool having the little touch screen, just like fast and the furious having all the gauges going!

copeyhagen
22-02-11, 16:36
hope ya get it sorted, will be worth it in the long run

B.Egan
22-02-11, 17:01
Yep tunerstudio is the shit! Well worth the 40 quid, and its cool having the little touch screen, just like fast and the furious having all the gauges going!

Yeh I may look into something like that after a while. They expensive? Would just need to run tunerstudio I suppose, so wouldnt have to be too high spec. Set "Warning! Danger to manifold" as the screensaver for added lolage haha!!:D

shaneS14
22-02-11, 17:33
Nice project man, check ur crank sensor , and wiring to ecu

B.Egan
28-02-11, 23:33
:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

pole drift
28-02-11, 23:41
:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JZDh3M81u08/TRv4i8igDhI/AAAAAAAAAcY/MiP6dcSdtYI/s1600/facebook-like-buton.png

More info needed:D

Alan B.
01-03-11, 00:03
much higher then what was got the other day?

B.Egan
01-03-11, 00:10
much higher then what was got the other day?

A bit of messing with the ignition timing and its at 236 bhp.........all while still spinning a bit on the dyno lol (shitty camber and tyres)! Big shout out to Joe Power of Urban Performance for doing an awesome job, mapped on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. Cant recommend him enough

Lot of stuff happened on this over the last week. Headwrecking problems, magical moments, and a custom Will_C shotgun exhaust that has both deafened us and melted through my rear bumper! Will fill all in when I get a chance. Still a hell of alot of stuff to do by the weekend, but we're atleast on the home stretch! :D

Alan B.
01-03-11, 00:28
thats a decent hike man.
well done.

pole drift
01-03-11, 00:32
I mite be up in the yard on Thursday with the 180 to sort this hydro/dash problem

B.Egan
01-03-11, 00:40
I mite be up in the yard on Thursday with the 180 to sort this hydro/dash problem

I'll help out anyway I can if I get a chance Joe.......although I'd probably do more harm than good

Simon
01-03-11, 16:02
ya must be delighted dude, thats great power... nice one, keep up the good work!

twailbait
01-03-11, 16:27
A bit of messing with the ignition timing and its at 236 bhp.........all while still spinning a bit on the dyno lol (shitty camber and tyres)! Big shout out to Joe Power of Urban Performance for doing an awesome job, mapped on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. Cant recommend him enough

Lot of stuff happened on this over the last week. Headwrecking problems, magical moments, and a custom Will_C shotgun exhaust that has both deafened us and melted through my rear bumper! Will fill all in when I get a chance. Still a hell of alot of stuff to do by the weekend, but we're atleast on the home stretch! :D

That's serious power! Wouldn't mind getting near that! You've set a goal for me now! Dam it!!

Simon
01-03-11, 16:58
That's serious power! Wouldn't mind getting near that! You've set a goal for me now! Dam it!!

Do you still have the mx5? :rolleyes: haha i joke i joke..

B.Egan
01-03-11, 23:52
ya must be delighted dude, thats great power... nice one, keep up the good work!
Yeh was hoping for between 200-240bhp so delighted. Especially on a dyno dynamics dyno, as ppl generally complain that they dont read as high sometimes as others. So its certainly a genuine 236bhp atleast, and possibly a little bit more due to some wheelspin and a hell of alot of strapping down. Cant wait to actually drive it now. Although I did drive it around the block with a seat not bolted in........which was interesting ha! Car was quick before, but now with more power and less weight it should be alot of fun!

Joe's the man anyway Tim. Just about the max you could really go for too. As 250bhp is supposedly when problems start to arrise internally. That was at .8 bar btw.

twailbait
02-03-11, 00:05
Yeh was hoping for between 200-240bhp so delighted. Especially on a dyno dynamics dyno, as ppl generally complain that they dont read as high sometimes as others. So its certainly a genuine 236bhp atleast, and possibly a little bit more due to some wheelspin and a hell of alot of strapping down. Cant wait to actually drive it now. Although I did drive it around the block with a seat not bolted in........which was interesting ha! Car was quick before, but now with more power and less weight it should be alot of fun!

Joe's the man anyway Tim. Just about the max you could really go for too. As 250bhp is supposedly when problems start to arrise internally. That was at .8 bar btw.

glad to heR your happy with him, I'm deco going with him anyways.
Seriously jealous Of that power, I was only aiming for 200ish, but your aronnd the same sort of setup as me, so I may get something more similar to you!

Fairplay though, I'd sY t will be seriously quick, god I need to get my car done, this isakimg me seriously horny for it again!!

By the way, what kind of torque you getting.

Alan B.
02-03-11, 00:08
some wheelspin.......ha
it was roasting tyres ffs lol

B.Egan
02-03-11, 00:09
glad to heR your happy with him, I'm deco going with him anyways.
Seriously jealous Of that power, I was only aiming for 200ish, but your aronnd the same sort of setup as me, so I may get something more similar to you!

Fairplay though, I'd sY t will be seriously quick, god I need to get my car done, this isakimg me seriously horny for it again!!

By the way, what kind of torque you getting.

internet on phone....its a killer for spelling haha! :D

Not 100% on torque yet. I was there for all of it on sat, when it was making about 210ish bhp and about 180 ft/lbs of torque. But he kept it till Mon to do some fine tuning and then got the 236 bhp. So I'm just guessing maybe in the 190ish range. Gonna get him to email me on the dyno reports tomorrow to see exactly.

B.Egan
02-03-11, 00:11
some wheelspin.......ha
it was roasting tyres ffs lol

lol I'm fucked if he still thinks it might be loosing 20 bhp! Really dont want it to be pushing out 250+!!:eek:

Alan B.
02-03-11, 00:14
sure whats the worst that could happen lol.
spark cut work in it?

Mick K
02-03-11, 00:15
Im making one of those videos for Youtube

"Hitler finds out young Zigos car makes good power on the dyno" :D

Fair play Ted,Thats some go in the thing now!
Delighted all worked out in the end,Now get painting ye huar:D

git
02-03-11, 00:15
lol I'm fucked if he still thinks it might be loosing 20 bhp! Really dont want it to be pushing out 250+!!:eek:

why can i ask ?.....

twailbait
02-03-11, 00:29
internet on phone....its a killer for spelling haha! :D

Not 100% on torque yet. I was there for all of it on sat, when it was making about 210ish bhp and about 180 ft/lbs of torque. But he kept it till Mon to do some fine tuning and then got the 236 bhp. So I'm just guessing maybe in the 190ish range. Gonna get him to email me on the dyno reports tomorrow to see exactly.

Ha yep! iPhones are shit!!

That should be fun t drive Anyways! Alot of power in such a small car!

twailbait
02-03-11, 00:32
Do you still have the mx5? :rolleyes: haha i joke i joke..

Hows that soarer:D:D:D

B.Egan
02-03-11, 00:53
sure whats the worst that could happen lol.
spark cut work in it?
Not sure actually. Forgot to ask. Can just set that up myself anyway......although I wanna drive it for a bit before blowing it up!

Im making one of those videos for Youtube

"Hitler finds out young Zigos car makes good power on the dyno" :D

Fair play Ted,Thats some go in the thing now!
Delighted all worked out in the end,Now get painting ye huar:D
Do Mick. "Anybody who has a S-body....leave the room now!!!" :D
As is the case with this car another set back or two happened, but still hopin to have it primed on fri.

why can i ask ?.....
Why not 250bhp+? Just that that seems to be the general figure that I've seen on american forums when the internals (mainly the rods) supposedly start to reach their limit. It is a standard 1.6 engine internally afterall, so I dont really want to push the limits of reliability

twailbait
02-03-11, 02:09
Not sure actually. Forgot to ask. Can just set that up myself anyway......although I wanna drive it for a bit before blowing it up!

Very simple to get to work, if I can do it you can! Mine made some nice pops and bangs without a turbo, so with it Id say you'll have a burnt rear bumper:D:D:D

Dont forget to set up your flat shifting and launch control!!!:eek::eek::D

Alan B.
02-03-11, 03:01
his bumper is already fucked lol

twailbait
02-03-11, 10:03
his bumper is already fucked lol

Ha! Cool, really want a spin in this, as I think Im going to be waiting awhile for mine!

subzero
02-03-11, 10:11
serious power in such a car, your a deadly man :cool:

should be some crack to drive.

Williek
02-03-11, 10:22
brill build thread, best i've read in a while!!

Simon
02-03-11, 10:34
Hows that soarer:D:D:D

in working condition....! :D

B.Egan
08-03-11, 15:16
Right I better try and update this. So much happened in the last week that I dont know where to start. Build thread is kind of going all over the place now, but I still plan on writing up a proper timelined one with all the pics when I get a chance.

Seats were fitted, 2 cobra fixed buckets, with Luke 5 point harness. All wiring, ecu etc tidyed up a bit and put away.

Portlaois comp was upon us and with less than 12 hours to the actual start of the comp it looked like this:
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8315/18329310150115374734605.jpg

Alot of work to do! We went flat through the night, especially Paddy Brennan and the bumpers were cabled tied on at 8am. How we managed to get it all done is still a mystery, but it made it. I'll put up a detailed, with pics hopefully, account of the steps we used to paint it. For being painted in a freezing dusty shed at 2am in the morn it actually came out very good imo.

haydomiata
08-03-11, 17:57
Car lookd savage all weekend lad really got me wantin a turbo for mine haha
mine was the stickerbombed 1 parked at the gate sat almost like a before and after haha

Jay Rockett
08-03-11, 18:27
Never got a chance to say howya over the weekend but man, your car looks facking sweeeeeeeeeeet!! Good work to you and the Good Luggage Crew!

Fredericks Balls
09-03-11, 21:26
Never got a chance to say howya over the weekend but man, your car looks facking sweeeeeeeeeeet!! Good work to you and the Good Luggage Crew!

X2

I love the colour! Sounds great too

B.Egan
10-03-11, 15:02
Thanks for all the nice comments lads! Sorry I didnt get to chat to more ppl at the weekend.

pole drift
10-03-11, 15:20
ya gonna do mondello??

B.Egan
10-03-11, 15:23
ya gonna do mondello??

Would love to but doubt I can afford it. I'll put the soft top roof and interior up for sale properly and if they sell I'll do it

haydomiata
16-03-11, 21:44
its tan leather interior u have isnt it?
i was talkin to a guy in limerick and he was tryin to buy mine if i change the passo seat aswell as the drivers

B.Egan
24-03-11, 13:47
its tan leather interior u have isnt it?
i was talkin to a guy in limerick and he was tryin to buy mine if i change the passo seat aswell as the drivers

Yep....tan leather. Pass on the word if he wants it!

Havent been able to update this as only had internet on my phone for the last 2 weeks. But we're back in business. Car is currently with the gifted hands of RoCo Performance getting the cage done.

Also worth noting that if anyone happened to be interested in, afaik, the first open top car to compete in Ireland at drifting, for a bit of sponsorship give us a shout. I can fill them in on my plans etc and open to any sort of non sexual arrangement. Long shot.....

B.Egan
24-03-11, 18:06
Plus after driving it on the road to RoCo I can see my clutch is pretty much gone. Shit balls!! Between that and alot of wheelspin I still havent found out how quick it actually is in a straightline!

B.Egan
24-03-11, 18:28
Some pics of what the mx5 looked like at Portlaoise. If ppl have others feel free to throw them up......as I dont want the hassle of goin back finding them all! But cheers to anyone who took some pics!

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/paddymacken/Portlaoise%2005-03-11%20Saturday/IMG_8442.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/paddymacken/Portlaoise%2005-03-11%20Saturday/IMG_8343.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa237/paddymacken/Portlaoise%2005-03-11%20Saturday/IMG_7247.jpg

B.Egan
24-03-11, 18:31
Been toying with this idea for awhile now. Exhaust has developed a proper full rust look on its own accord. Wheels are steel, cage is steel.........see where I'm goin :D

Plus still need to get around to making up the rear diffuser, front canards, front lip add on, flat sideskirt add on things etc. Will probably be after Ennis though, as it will just all smash off there anyway!

Alan B.
24-03-11, 19:31
http://www.performancevwmag.com/siteFiles/news/2010/02feb/rust.jpg

B.Egan
10-04-11, 21:38
Right so a week to Ennis and things are looking panicky. Cage is done by RoCo Performance and is top notch. Huge shout out to Ronan. But I still need to fit all the safety stuff (kill switchs, aerocatches, fire extinguisher), a clutch (which still hasnt arrived yet), bleed the brakes, mount seat and harness properly, spray interior and cage (probably wont happen), sort tyres, re wire all the dash stuff back in and fit and cut it properly, sort gauges, fuel pump wires again. Loads of other stuff too probably. Working all week, so alot of it is in the hands of Good Luggage last minute mechanic Paddy "Job" Brennan.

It'll be tight.......but it always is with this feckin car....:(

Mick K
10-04-11, 21:41
Some pretty standard issues above there for you Brian :D

alan opel
10-04-11, 22:08
im sure ull get there man!:D

nikkisixx69
10-04-11, 22:12
i might be seeing this in action on saturday:D

stevek
11-04-11, 19:37
looking forward to seeing ya sat!! was well impressed in port laoise!!:cool:

B.Egan
14-04-11, 23:16
i might be seeing this in action on saturday:D

looking forward to seeing ya sat!! was well impressed in port laoise!!:cool:

Cheers lads, but ye may get down early as I'll be gone before noon lol!!:D

Paddy "Job" Brennan and Will_C putting in a sterling last minute effort on this. But a mix up means the clutch still hasnt arrived. Might be in tomorrow but too late then anyway, unless we change it in the carpark. I'm hoping the one thats in it will hold up.....seems ok in 2nd and thats all Ennis should be I'm guessing. Will probably paint the interior down in Ennis....probably in between runs lol! The joys of it all for a few laps in a carpark ha!

nikkisixx69
14-04-11, 23:18
Cheers lads, but ye may get down early as I'll be gone before noon lol!!:D

Paddy "Job" Brennan and Will_C putting in a sterling last minute effort on this. But a mix up means the clutch still hasnt arrived. Might be in tomorrow but too late then anyway, unless we change it in the carpark. I'm hoping the one thats in it will hold up.....seems ok in 2nd and thats all Ennis should be I'm guessing. Will probably paint the interior down in Ennis....probably in between runs lol! The joys of it all for a few laps in a carpark ha!

what time does it start saturday if ya dont mind me asking?? been hard to find out details about saturday!

B.Egan
14-04-11, 23:26
Starts at 10am. Thats amateur and non seeded practice. 2 groups AFAIK, and then qualifying starts at 12.30pm. Full schedule here:
http://www.prodriftseries.com/2011/03/15/prodrift-round-1-ennis-mart-april-17th/

Which actually means I wont be gone by noon...........yey!! :D

nikkisixx69
14-04-11, 23:42
Starts at 10am. Thats amateur and non seeded practice. 2 groups AFAIK, and then qualifying starts at 12.30pm. Full schedule here:
http://www.prodriftseries.com/2011/03/15/prodrift-round-1-ennis-mart-april-17th/

Which actually means I wont be gone by noon...........yey!! :D

sweet!! juice better be up early haha

pole drift
16-04-11, 03:10
Finished and ready :D

will_c
16-04-11, 03:49
yup, only one wire left to solder in the morning (its too cold to do it now and the soldering iron wont get hot enough!!) and recalibrate the wideband 02 sensor and we should be good :) was able to get a better clutch pedal into it too which should help a lot tomorrow, might get an hours sleep now before getting up again to finish it off :)

pt_y2k
16-04-11, 21:15
Thats commitment lads....car looked savage today and well capable...just need more seat time!! :)

Chuck_g
16-04-11, 21:23
Love it.......serious car :)

nikkisixx69
16-04-11, 22:15
this thing is seriously bad ass in person! love the cage! made a lovely seat also when my back couldnt take anymore standing (cheers for that haha:p)

pity about the clutch today man but you still had some serious driving:cool:

nice to meet you btw!

juice
16-04-11, 22:19
Ya I must say I think this car has serious potential and I actually think a faster track might suit it better, pity about the clutch but these issues will get sorted and Im sure it won't affect your performance tonight in the Queens!!!

pole drift
17-04-11, 19:25
I navigated the mc Donalds drivetru with the trailer on toe :)

haydomiata
17-04-11, 20:06
U stil lookin for a 1.8 diff i no a lad in limerick breakn mxs

KerryKid1JZ
17-04-11, 23:27
seen this at ennis, it looks mean as fook!

DaveM-sport
18-04-11, 18:36
Very cool car and great to see something alittle different on track!
Bit of a shame too though as it was a lovely road-car too:(

Think I was talking to one of ye Saturday night and were telling me that it only got running that morning and straight onto the trailer then so will be interesting to see how it goes once everything is sorted as they are great little car even messing about as standard.

git
19-04-11, 20:25
cool lookin car ! besta luck in the other rounds ! i shall see you on the dance floor :D

DaveM-sport
19-04-11, 21:08
Just seen Paddy's Sport there in one of the pics. Whats he doing with that at the moment? Haven't heard much from him in a while.

B.Egan
25-04-11, 13:32
U stil lookin for a 1.8 diff i no a lad in limerick breakn mxs
Got a 1.8 diff a while back, but just needed halfshafts to fit it. However the 1.6 shimmed diff still seems to be holding up so gonna just stick with that for the moment. Well I'll know whether it holds 100% once the clutch is in.

Very cool car and great to see something alittle different on track!
Bit of a shame too though as it was a lovely road-car too:(

Think I was talking to one of ye Saturday night and were telling me that it only got running that morning and straight onto the trailer then so will be interesting to see how it goes once everything is sorted as they are great little car even messing about as standard.
Yeh we actually are starting to feel quite optimistic about the car. Potential is there I think...

cool lookin car ! besta luck in the other rounds ! i shall see you on the dance floor :D
:tongue::grin:

Just seen Paddy's Sport there in one of the pics. Whats he doing with that at the moment? Haven't heard much from him in a while.
Been sitting up a while now. Plan was to put in a 2.8 or something, but got sidetracked with other cars. There is talk of getting back on it and making it pretty different to say the least.......but I'll probably blow up somethin in the mx and consume all his free time again lol!!

B.Egan
06-05-11, 16:54
Ok so mondello came and went........and the dust has settled quite literally.

The new clutch was fitted (which seems to still slip a bit which is shit, but wont worry about it for the moment). Shitty pads were all I could find for the front in time.

Car was driven to mondello by Will_C. Plan was to drive it home.......things didnt quite go to plan however!

First session, first time drifting in mondello. Was really excited tbh, and went for it. Instantly felt, as was suspected that the mx seems to suit the faster tracks better imo. Felt lovely through the esses etc. Tried to manji the straight, spun at one stage into the grass, and generally just had brilliant fun. I also clipped the tyres coming out of the tight hairpin (hole in the hedge). But after some tasty hammering it popped out perfect, and the cable ties ment the bumper was also largely intact.

Things started to go downhill from here though. The next session I noticed some strange noise. I also felt I was down on power a bit. But nothing seemed too bad. A check afterwards saw that we were boiling some p/s fluid. We took a break, got some new fluid and went out after lunch.

I was now well down on power, I noticed I was only boosting at about .4 bar instead of .8. Clutch kicks werent working great with the new clutch and I was pretty pissed off when I came back in.

Turbo gasket had gone......massively. I left the car and went watching, annoyed that the day was over for me it seemed, but at least it would be a simple fix.......

But after watching the mental entries of Michael Swan, Pat Masterson and Donal Garry I got a little bit wound. I thought that although I'd no real power I could go out for the last session and a half and see could I get some good entries, and knock some fun out of it.

By the last session I was going flat all the way down the straight and pulling the hydro past the bridge. I was hitting the limiter in third which is about 86 mph AFAIK! It was brilliant , and I just wished I had more power to get higher speeds and try and hydro at or before the bridge like some of the guys.

2 mins later, the car was on fire....

haydomiata
06-05-11, 17:11
was jus in the cue to leave when i saw the car tow into the pit was severly sick for ya lad
only saw your reply to the msg bout ur interior let us no if u still ave it ill get onto my man and if u want ne other parts let us no im frm wex but work in shannon so if u need stuff brought back to ya or down let me no ill fit it in my car (if its small) or if not ill get one of the lads to take bits
wat money did u pay in total for the spoiler if you dont mind me askin im goin orderin 1 if hes ne left and jus wanna no wat im payin cheers

Loaf
09-05-11, 03:51
What engine management was the car running on when you got it?

B.Egan
10-05-11, 19:30
was jus in the cue to leave when i saw the car tow into the pit was severly sick for ya lad
only saw your reply to the msg bout ur interior let us no if u still ave it ill get onto my man and if u want ne other parts let us no im frm wex but work in shannon so if u need stuff brought back to ya or down let me no ill fit it in my car (if its small) or if not ill get one of the lads to take bits
wat money did u pay in total for the spoiler if you dont mind me askin im goin orderin 1 if hes ne left and jus wanna no wat im payin cheers
Interior is sold. Think I'm ok for parts at the moment, I need the wideband wiring off a TSI golf or something like that, but mx5 parts wise I think I'm pretty sorted for the moment. Spoiler is a long time ago, so cant really remember tbh. I'd say somewhere about the E150 mark.....maybe?

What engine management was the car running on when you got it?
Was running 2 extra injectors after the intercooler to provide the extra fuel it needed. Was a very primitive setup really

B.Egan
23-05-11, 00:35
So the fire was a combination of power steering fluid boiling, turbo gasket massive leak, me angry and not heading warnings and then the wiring all went up on fire in a nutshell of sorts. William Hennessy took some pics of the "incident" if ppl want to look. I couldnt be arsed to find the pics at the moment

But anyway we didnt really do alot for the following week or two. Then the usual panic began as I thought it would be good to try and get out for the mondello drift day evening session to just see if the car was running ok.

Got another wiring loom out of the scrapyard, along with clutch pipe, wiper motor, and a few other bits. Got a new turbo gasket. Was struggling to track down the right wideband wiring and sensor, so just caved in and bought another brand new one. Bit of a waste for some wiring but this was with 2 days to go so no real choice. Few other bits here and there like gauges.

We soldered all the loom back together matching wires etc (painstaking) and tried to start the car saturday night. It started! We straight away switched it off and went and got hammered! There was still loads left to do, but it ment the ecu wasnt fried, and that there was hope for the next day............
.......however sadly there was no hope of us gettin up the next morn. Our "taking it easy" plan had failed massively......

Made it out to the car at noonish. Paddy Brennan, Eddie Power and myself went properly falt (mainly Paddy as usual though). Really trying to cowboy the car ready tbh. It wouldnt have looked pretty but we thought we'd get it there, if even for an hour. And so everything was good to go we thought at about 3 o'clock. Car started, but was running shit. Checked leads and they were soaked from when we powerhosed all the fire extinguisher stuff off. Dried them off as much as we could, but after going back in the car just wouldnt start. We tried and tried (and nearly blew ourselves up at one stage) but it wasnt happening, game over for the day.

Hopefully fully drying out the leads, or maybe new ones will sort it. Fermoy is getting awfully close afterall! Need to get a power steering cooler and some other bits too if I can.

At this stage with the car, if it makes Fermoy, tbh I want a top32 spot or the car coming home in pieces. Its been a massive gamble, and realistically this was only ever gonna be a testing/develoment year as ppl told me......but at this stage I'm ready to just go all in. Go hard or go home, all or nothing, eye of the tiger etc. I mean I'm due just a bit of luck surely?........whats the worst that can happen......lol :D

Greg
23-05-11, 00:47
YouTube - ‪Whats the Worst That Can Happen‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AhO1qFmcAs)

Go hard or go home. :D

B.Egan
23-05-11, 00:50
To quote the Drift Mechaniks http://www.driftmechaniks.com/blog/

"All of the drama, some of the drifting"

Pretty much sums up this car! :D

B.Egan
25-05-11, 20:36
Right.....I didnt think I'd ever have to post this. But I'm done. Bearing or something gone in the engine. Wont make weekend realistically (unless I just drive it till it blows up, if even it will do that). And as far as I'm concerned it wont make it out with me at the wheel again. I tried my best, put everything I had in it. Its beaten me, and with that this country.

Was slogging away in work, up at 5 or 6, home at 7 or 8. As sad as it sounds looking forward to an event or something seemed to make it worthwhile. With the car gone I dont think I can do it. I have no house to live in come tuesday. And so tbh I cant just handle the stress of it anymore, not having anywhere to store it, transport, money, not being a mechanic so having to try and chase or motivate ppl to do stuff, and at every step I tried to stay positive. After the fire I tried to laugh it off. But there comes a point where you just have to give in.

So I'll probably break it for parts, lose maybe 7 or 8 grand and that will be my chapter of cars finished for awhile anyway. Australia is sounding like my best option....

Thanks to everyone for the support and help along the way, and I'm sorry if I've let anyone down, it was just a bridge too far I'm afraid...

twailbait
25-05-11, 20:46
Your in a dark place man! What's wrong with it?

pole drift
25-05-11, 20:50
Now that's a sad post. 10% happiness 90% hardship

Keli
25-05-11, 20:55
I know this is probably the last thing you wanna hear but tomorrow is another day and it probably won't seem as hopeless. I know how it can feel when you can't fix one thing on the car without something else breaking and it becomes an endless cycle but at the end of it all I kinda wonder what I would be without my car, it would be like chopping off my right hand!
The car is so cool and after all the work youve put into it give it another chance :)

ste
25-05-11, 21:14
chin up brian... i know its hard but you took a big gamble veering away from the common as fuck s-body and imo have one of the coolest sliders in the country and as i was sayin to so many people in ennis when u get the hang of that car ya'll be a serious contender as the car is so fast comin out of the bends...

keep the head up man and make this a winner....:cool:

mickel
25-05-11, 22:24
sorry to hear that brian

my advice would be just forget about

the car for a week or two

hit fermoy the weekend,get wasted,have the craic:afro:

next week get some personal stuff sorted,

it'll all come together.

there's loads of sound lad's on here more than willing to

give a hand to get the car sorted

it's surprising what a break from something can do for the head:wink:

haydomiata
25-05-11, 22:30
sorry to hear that brian

my advice would be just forget about

the car for a week or two

hit fermoy the weekend,get wasted,have the craic:afro:

next week get some personal stuff sorted,

it'll all come together.

there's loads of sound lad's on here more than willing to

give a hand to get the car sorted

it's surprising what a break from something can do for the head:wink:
I agree totally i would help anyway that i can just to see this work out i love this car seein it out has me spendin all me wages haha
dont give up lad chin up :)

Loaf
25-05-11, 22:30
Dips on the front lip and wheels if price is right :D

gem-s13
25-05-11, 22:31
personally i dont like the car turbo n/a yokes just arent reliable enough for and especilay you being the first to use this one here yes you will get lots of hardship and problems but fuck it has to be done, and in reality its not worth feck all to break so just spend a fewe bob more on it and drive it on!! if problems are stil there put an sr20, look at the comments after the mondello blog post on speedhunters a bit of a heads up maybe if you havent read them

garyae86
25-05-11, 22:34
mickl you couldn't off said it better best thing to do is walk away and come back in time this is most definitely up in the coolest cars in pro-drift this year and i would like to see you right true the year chin up man it will work out :cool::cool:

mickel
25-05-11, 22:36
personally i dont like the car turbo n/a yokes just arent reliable enough for and especilay you being the first to use this one here yes you will get lots of hardship and problems but fuck it has to be done, and in reality its not worth feck all to break so just spend a fewe bob more on it and drive it on!! if problems are stil there put an sr20, look at the comments after the mondello blog post on speedhunters a bit of a heads up maybe if you havent read them

just read that blog there

there must be 40 comments there and almost all

of them are lovin the mx5:cool:

Dave
25-05-11, 22:40
Dips on the front lip and wheels if price is right :D
Talk about kicking a man when he's down

podgedun
25-05-11, 22:47
Talk about kicking a man when he's down

Agreed with this

Loaf Stop been selfish and wait till the man decides wat e wants to do!!

danmoorhead
26-05-11, 08:17
brian take a step bak for a week buddy!!!! when it comes 2 problems and hartship in this game many of us know hw hard it is but don't make a quick decision that you may regret later!!!! you knew it was never goin to be easy and it hasen't but i honestly feel its worth it and der are not many people that would be able to drive the car even half as well with a full sesion under der belt!!! stay wit it dude!!! any help that i can give you have my number!!

diff06
26-05-11, 09:57
id stick with it too really enjoyable to watch , looks like an absolute workout to drive but a nice bit of eye candy on the track , chin up and get ur arse in gear!

tomsheen
26-05-11, 10:24
as people are saying lad give it a week or two and see how it goes then..

everyone loves this car and im sure you love it more than any of us
stick with it man and blow everyone away next year!!

i hope it all works out for ya man!

git
26-05-11, 10:28
Hope sumtn makes u realise that cars are fun sure look at my yoke ive had doctors work on it and even they break it, i remember a fela teln me one day cars are 90% bastards and 10% fun and that ten percent is the best time youl ever have in it! ! Its a great goal to set urself, save save save and spend spend spend! Never give up bang an sr in as gem said even a cheap n/a (stevo has one i think) ,hope ya get where yad like to be besta luck man!

B.Egan
26-05-11, 17:04
cheers for the comments ppl and support. Had a bit of a chat and stuff with the lads last night. Gonna take it to fermoy. It may blow up going onto the trailer, or on the start line, or give me just enough to do a lap or even the whole weekend, who knows. But if its fecked its fecked anyway so what difference does it really make. Looking like it either ran out of oil or had oil starvation and fucked up one of the cams. Cant really tell for sure without taking it apart of course and theres no time for that. It will sound pretty horrible, and who knows if it'll be making full or no power till I drive it. But if I could even just get one good run it may bring a bit of hope or that back to me.

As for sr20s. Well as this thread has clearly shown I'm an idiot. I said before that if I did change engines I'd have to go for a 13b........couldnt be much worse I suppose lol. Smarter choice would probably be to properly upgrade the internals of the engine. Strangely enough with all the problems and issues I'd had, its never really been the fact its turboed or the power figures that have necessarily caused them. Which makes it all the more frustrating actually..

Anyway thanks for the support, and I'll hold off on judgement till Monday atleast..

mickel
26-05-11, 17:14
cheers for the comments ppl and support. Had a bit of a chat and stuff with the lads last night. Gonna take it to fermoy. It may blow up going onto the trailer, or on the start line, or give me just enough to do a lap or even the whole weekend, who knows. But if its fecked its fecked anyway so what difference does it really make. Looking like it either ran out of oil or had oil starvation and fucked up one of the cams. Cant really tell for sure without taking it apart of course and theres no time for that. It will sound pretty horrible, and who knows if it'll be making full or no power till I drive it. But if I could even just get one good run it may bring a bit of hope or that back to me.

As for sr20s. Well as this thread has clearly shown I'm an idiot. I said before that if I did change engines I'd have to go for a 13b........couldnt be much worse I suppose lol. Smarter choice would probably be to properly upgrade the internals of the engine. Strangely enough with all the problems and issues I'd had, its never really been the fact its turboed or the power figures that have necessarily caused them. Which makes it all the more frustrating actually..

Anyway thanks for the support, and I'll hold off on judgement till Monday atleast..

nice one

give her sock's the weekend:afro:

haydomiata
26-05-11, 17:20
Gud man it wud b a sad day to see this car broke and if u did put a 13b in at least u could re the turbo conversion and make sum mny back