PDA

View Full Version : max lock on s13's, WITHOUT buying fancy bits...how?

PeterT
23-07-10, 12:13
Howdy guys

Been scouring through the project threads on DW, and noticed how many people are doing there own hub/arm/rack cut and shut mods and wondering what is the simplest/cheapest way to get some decent lock on an rps13.

It has standard suspension and arms at the mo, and will be a beater of a track only car so roughness of mods doesnt matter.

What is the best way to go about it? Some DW rack spacers? S14 lower arms? Cutting and spacing s13 arms?

You get the jist, which ways work best and are most effective.

Be handy to get alot of people ideas in the one thread so it could be searched easily and/or stickied!

Fire away your thoughts gents!

andy t
23-07-10, 12:28
washers on th track rods,,,ha
dodgy out but ive seen lads get away with it !

Bobbys14
23-07-10, 12:34
Give it to jay and demand extra lock!!!:D Looking at his 180sx he will be well fit for it! Move the bump stops back a bit and extend the track rods!! Cheapest and quickest me think..

Tekno Twinky
23-07-10, 12:44
Give it to jay and demand extra lock!!!:D Looking at his 180sx he will be well fit for it! Move the bump stops back a bit and extend the track rods!! Cheapest and quickest me think..

true this itll work out...

PeterT
23-07-10, 13:14

Haha, there is NOTHING to do with cheap on jays car! so thats that out the window ha!

but yeh, we'll use jays diamond coated gold plated tools with it to just knock the shit out of things in the way, and start with the spring washers and go from there I think!

Bobbys14
23-07-10, 13:34

Haha, there is NOTHING to do with cheap on jays car! so thats that out the window ha!

but yeh, we'll use jays diamond coated gold plated tools with it to just knock the shit out of things in the way, and start with the spring washers and go from there I think!

Wasn't saying antin on jays car was cheap read my post!!!
Jay got modifyed hubs etc i know none of it was cheap.....

PeterT
23-07-10, 16:00
i know,but thats not wat im asking haha...i did read your post, i think just the demand more lock bit is unsuitable haha

yowdy
23-07-10, 17:36
extra lock washers,,remove bump stops

danmoorhead
23-07-10, 18:17
s14 bottom arms, and knock the centre out of 4 one euro coins and put them on to the end of the tie rod where it meets the rack!!!! it will suprise you how much lock this simple mods will give!!!! and the euro coins are the right size for the tie rod and to go in to the rack witout damaging the seals!! 3.5 degree neg cammber and track er up!!!

jdmjimmy
23-07-10, 18:44
8 euro cheap job lol..

danmoorhead
23-07-10, 19:00
o yea 4 on each side leaves you with very little thread but it never pulled out on me till it got a serious slap!!! will give ya lots still with just 3!!

Robbie Daly Ps13
23-07-10, 19:02
8 euro cheap job lol..

That would be far too expensive for pete.....!

jdmjimmy
23-07-10, 19:02
wat bout on a 14 mine has extra lock tie rods i think wat else could i do handy for a bit more?

tweek
25-07-10, 17:40
longer lower arms won't give you more lock it only gives you more track.extra lock washers use spring type ones for extra safety and plenty of thread lock.i have plenty of driftworks extra lock washers 50cent each

jdmjimmy
25-07-10, 18:07
longer lower arms won't give you more lock it only gives you more track.extra lock washers use spring type ones for extra safety and plenty of thread lock.i have plenty of driftworks extra lock washers 50cent each

wat size are they?can u messure inner diam and outer cheers wats maximum ya can use each side safely?

danmoorhead
25-07-10, 20:07

have you never came across the prob of the washer opening when titened??? and the idea of the longer bottom arm is to push the wheel away from the chassie which helps you get more lock!!!!

Jay Rockett
25-07-10, 20:30
Longer lower arms accommodate for more lock, they do give more lock on the leading wheel but
less on the trailing wheel, but with other mod's ya can get the trailing wheel to turn more! The key is playing around with your ackerman angle and other things!:D

Doofer
26-07-10, 15:57
I wouldnt mind trying this... Anyone have a couple of s14 bottom arms for sale?? Is it safe for everyday driving and would ya get any hassle in NCT.. Theyd hardly spot the euro coins would they??

180sxbreaker
26-07-10, 16:35
I wouldnt mind trying this... Anyone have a couple of s14 bottom arms for sale?? Is it safe for everyday driving and would ya get any hassle in NCT.. Theyd hardly spot the euro coins would they??

ya mean kunt u'd hardly spend the 8 euro ha ha ya prob giv it to lad to do and ask him to fit them and giv him 6 euro for the whole job:rolleyes:
only messin kido i wish i had my 180 now to do this:(

Doofer
26-07-10, 16:59
Ha Ha!! Do ya not get the two arms, the 8 1euro piece washers fitted and tracked for 8euro no???? Ah i wont bother then.. i suppose i better learn how to drive it first before i get meself more lock... Nice to have doh

180sxbreaker
26-07-10, 17:03
Ha Ha!! Do ya not get the two arms, the 8 1euro piece washers fitted and tracked for 8euro no???? Ah i wont bother then.. i suppose i better learn how to drive it first before i get meself more lock... Nice to have doh

ya kept that cam fine and clean ya were just starved for bit more power i reckon u be fine get the xtra lock and learn to drive it like that from the start:D

Seamie tc
26-07-10, 19:02
A bit more expensive than your euro coins but a far better job, and would'nt go over centre.
http://www.driftireland.com/showthread.php?t=7594

barryl
26-07-10, 22:45
driftworks hubs ftw.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

kouki_kid
27-07-10, 16:44
Even a chopped hub with extended tie rods will still go over centre AFAIK.
The driftworks rack spacers stop this by moving the tie rod forward.
On the cheap chop you hubs and get the driftworks rack spacers thats what
I would do!!