PDA

View Full Version : slider kits for windows. your views,from experience

thegosson
20-07-10, 14:45
I'm looking into changing all the glass out of the 180sx and replacing it with the LIGHTWEIGHT POLYCARBONATE WINDOW KIT that plastics for performance sell. have a charge speed hatch and will be putting in the origin frp doors.
what i cant decide on is weather to get the door windows with slider kits or not. the car is a track only drift car. I'm interested in hearing from people who have used these slider kits and see if there worth having or if there just a newsence. cheers.

way2fastforu
20-07-10, 14:48
if your not gona be able to put the windows up an down get the slider ones cos it'll end up roastin in the car if your driftin durin the summer time least wit the slider you can let some air in

thegosson
20-07-10, 14:58
if your not gona be able to put the windows up an down get the slider ones cos it'll end up roastin in the car if your driftin durin the summer time least wit the slider you can let some air in

yeah lad i know what there for, I'm just wondering do they create any problems like leaking, does enough air get in, any way of locking them etc..... if i get the slider kits i can do away with the up and down mechanism thingy-me-bob and do away with some more weight but I'm just wondering would loosing that much weight be worth any hassle that the slider kits introduce.

Robbie Daly Ps13
20-07-10, 15:06
yeah lad i know what there for, I'm just wondering do they create any problems like leaking, does enough air get in, any way of locking them etc..... if i get the slider kits i can do away with the up and down mechanism thingy-me-bob and do away with some more weight but I'm just wondering would loosing that much weight be worth any hassle that the slider kits introduce.

Firstly i think your mad putting these into a practice car......! It your compeating a bit down the line and your looking to get your last little bit out of the car then id do this but for now there too expensive to replace if they get a wrap.....! Plus your gonna need x door bars for safety.....!

But if ya really wanna do it i would go with sliders and i would't imagine they leak much altough christy has them in his 15 with no slider and he can't open the window either.........!

thegosson
20-07-10, 15:13
Firstly i think your mad putting these into a practice car......! It your compeating a bit down the line and your looking to get your last little bit out of the car then id do this but for now there too expensive to replace if they get a wrap.....! Plus your gonna need x door bars for safety.....!

But if ya really wanna do it i would go with sliders and i would't imagine they leak much altough christy has them in his 15 with no slider and he can't open the window either.........!

a fuckin practice car........TUT ....shame on you.
if your only fault with these is the price, then thats ok cause I'm good for money;)
why cant he open the window if theres no sliders on there??? did he leave the mechanism thingy-me-bob out? if so then he deserves to cook in it.

thegosson
20-07-10, 15:14
whats the prodrift rules on windows do they have to be shut while on track?

Prodrifter86
20-07-10, 15:48
we have them in our rally cars! they never leaked on us and are very good!
id rather be a bit warm dan get a face full of glass! or shane you can put that window sticker stuff to stop glass from flying around!!

my bros nova has been out in all this bad weather at a garage and theres no leaks i do think

thegosson
20-07-10, 15:57
"you can put that window sticker stuff to stop glass from flying around!!" yes but that wont leighten anything.

SUPER 180
20-07-10, 15:58
would these be a good idea on a drift car :confused:

i know tat wen i do a good few laps of mondell the car does be FULL of smoke...

and the only way to get rid of it is to let both windows fully down and cruise for a bit...

Prodrifter86
20-07-10, 15:58
"you can put that window sticker stuff to stop glass from flying around!!" yes but that wont leighten anything.

thats wat im saying buddy! get sum light windows! unreal difference even in the rear windows!

thegosson
20-07-10, 16:06
thats wat im saying buddy! get sum light windows! unreal difference even in the rear windows!

what are you talking about will. are you smoking something funny. yes im getting light weight windows, just not sure wether to go for the option of slider kits or not.

Prodrifter86
20-07-10, 16:09
what are you talking about will. are you smoking something funny. yes im getting light weight windows, just not sure wether to go for the option of slider kits or not.

yes what im am trying to say shane is GET THE FUKIN SLIDER WINDOWSSSS!

u COULD get the sticker for the glass BUT it would not be as light so im saying GET THE FUKIN SLIDER WINDOWSSSSS:p:D

thegosson
20-07-10, 16:15
yes what im am trying to say shane is GET THE FUKIN SLIDER WINDOWSSSS!

u COULD get the sticker for the glass BUT it would not be as light so im saying GET THE FUKIN SLIDER WINDOWSSSSS:p:D

yes but paul (super180) has a good point there in his post.If ya cant breath sure then your fucked. thats more like the constructive input i was after. like potential problems caused by using the sliders.

Prodrifter86
20-07-10, 16:17
yes but paul (super180) has a good point there in his post.If ya cant breath sure then your fucked. thats more like the constructive input i was after. like potential problems caused by using the sliders.

shur after a run open your door like many people!

i get your point though! :)

Chuck_g
20-07-10, 16:19
Or cover all holes in the rear of the car like i did..................smoke free............Im thinking about going plastic winda's for next year too, are they very expensive Shane??

Eddie
20-07-10, 16:19
ya no if you keep the electric windows up and down thingi mo bob, will you still be able to but the windows up and down with the plastic ones?

thegosson
20-07-10, 16:32
ya no if you keep the electric windows up and down thingi mo bob, will you still be able to but the windows up and down with the plastic ones?

yep the plastic ones will go up and down. its just if you have the slider kits they'll snagg on the seals and something will give.

chuck they'r not dear at all around 500 with sliders and oem borders, for 2x door windows, 2x rear quarter windows and 1x rear window.

s13-ste
20-07-10, 16:33
its all a bit extreem shane unless your going to compete and really need to save weight

Yes but frp doors, plastic windows and no window regulators shaves a shit load of weight.
Even a window reg is about 5kg per door.

carpo
20-07-10, 16:40
i use the complete windows with the frp...have a roof vent which helps cool
the inside a good bit..but the smoke kills me at times..its like smoking 50 mojor cigs altogether..:eek: just open the door of the car after a run..dont get the sliders i think they look ugly..

thegosson
20-07-10, 16:47
its all a bit extreem shane unless your going to compete and really need to save weight

Yes but frp doors, plastic windows and no window regulators shaves a shit load of weight.
Even a window reg is about 5kg per door.

im building this car to compete in. where do people keep coming up with the conclusion that im not going to compete?

and carpo i think the slider are ugly too. just weighing up the pros and cons of having them. can anyone answer the question about prodrift rules and windows being shut or open???

Stevo
20-07-10, 16:47

As above and just cause you can afford to do a mod its really a bit pointless at this stage shane it wont make any noticeable difference to yourself where as the likes of the pro's where every pony counts it would make a difference....
Think of it like this you wont drift mondello but you would pay whatever €'s for a bit of lightness for tullow/goldstone doesnt make sense man ;)

thegosson
20-07-10, 16:49
im board and want to spend money, dont hate for it.......

Stevo
20-07-10, 16:51
im board and want to spend money, dont hate for it.......

Theres ur answer so - to much money not enough sense

Eddie
20-07-10, 17:18
shane as for the windows be open in comptetion, i do recall chuck had all the windows open all day in punchestown in 08

thegosson
20-07-10, 17:29
Theres ur answer so - to much money not enough sense

there is a degree of sense in what I'm doing. lots of people are going through engines and turbos etc... trying to squeeze all they can out of them. where my theory is if i get the chassis and suspension right and lighten the car as much as possible i wont need all the horse power in the world and be reddening the engine which i reckon would work out to be the cheapest way in the long run.

carpo
20-07-10, 17:31
im building this car to compete in. where do people keep coming up with the conclusion that im not going to compete?

and carpo i think the slider are ugly too. just weighing up the pros and cons of having them. can anyone answer the question about prodrift rules and windows being shut or open???

if you using a slider on the window u should have no problem leaving them open...but as for the window been put down and left open i think thats
a big no

Eddie
20-07-10, 17:32
twill save ya havin to do it in the futher to

Prodrifter86
20-07-10, 17:32
there is a degree of sense in what I'm doing. lots of people are going through engines and turbos etc... trying to squeeze all they can out of them. where my theory is if i get the chassis and suspension right and lighten the car as much as possible i wont need all the horse power in the world and be reddening the engine which i reckon would work out to be the cheapest way in the long run.

very good point right there!!....

in my opinion i think the sliders look cool! but i come from a rallying background! and no rally car was a rally car without window sliders!!

and to eddies point! with sliders the windows dont go up or down there up permenantly up thats what the slider is!

Stevo
20-07-10, 17:33

I get ya shane but you said you have all your engine upgrades already bought in another thread few weeks back??

Anyhow spending money ftw!!! :D

thegosson
20-07-10, 17:35
I get ya shane but you said you have all your engine upgrades already bought in another thread few weeks back??

Anyhow spending money ftw!!! :D

correct. thats plan B:cool:

damo86
20-07-10, 18:06
if you using a slider on the window u should have no problem leaving them open...but as for the window been put down and left open i think thats
a big no

i always have window open maybe thats why i keep crashing :D:D:D

SUPER 180
20-07-10, 21:18
Just buy a LOAD of tyres and petrol and use them before
ya start thinkin of them windows dude...

Robbie Daly Ps13
20-07-10, 21:55
Just buy a LOAD of tyres and petrol and use them before
ya start thinkin of them windows dude...

x2 big time.....! The more bits you put on your car starting out the more you'l be afraid to smack it.......!

gem-s13
20-07-10, 21:57
im not being bad man but ffs will you stop putting bits on that car and learn to drive it

Driftma
20-07-10, 23:40
im not being bad man but ffs will you stop putting bits on that car and learn to drive it

^^very true^^,what you need is more seat time not more bits bolted onto it

PeterT
21-07-10, 08:50
For every bit on the car you change, the next practice day will be spent learning to drive with these new bits! So if you just practice practice practice, get to the limit of the car and theeeen upgrade, I think thatd work better for making skillz!

If you need to spend money, purchase me some new socks:D

Wolftown
21-07-10, 09:07

Harsh but true, seems a little excessive unless your competing at pro level and can already use the car to its maximum potential.