11-07-10, 11:54
just curious as to what effects a leak in the intercooler system would have

Stevo
11-07-10, 12:18
just curious as to what effects a leak in the intercooler system would have

Same as any other boost leak :confused:

Nicky
11-07-10, 12:19
No boost, no power, over fuelling etc etc...

DOC23
11-07-10, 12:36
ok sounds lyk a silly question now lol

another sill question here, what shud the boost gauge read on idle?
zero i would have taught, but mine reads less than 0

nissan_doctor
11-07-10, 13:19
It should be reading below zero at idle.

A boost leak would have different effects depending on how big the leak is, anything from poor idling up to not starting at all.

DOC23
11-07-10, 13:33
It should be reading below zero at idle.

A boost leak would have different effects depending on how big the leak is, anything from poor idling up to not starting at all.

ok. wud a boost leak cause a rough idle @800rpm?

insejn
11-07-10, 13:35
yes it would

nissan_doctor
11-07-10, 13:40
ok. wud a boost leak cause a rough idle @800rpm?

I certainly could alright....

DOC23
11-07-10, 15:27
cud a leak only be evident on idle? as in a rough idle but no loss of power and still achieving full boost

Newsome
11-07-10, 18:05
If you rev the car and when its coming back down to idle it nearly cuts out. That usually means you have a boost leak.

conor
11-07-10, 19:21
it depends if the car uses maf sensors or map sensors

i have a ps13 and the slightest boost leak causes the car to run like shit (maf sensor)
and i also have a 1jz supra which uses map sensors with this set up on a car you could remove every boost pipe and the car will still run fine (not miss fireing etc) just be down on power

so the characteristics of a boost leak are different depending on the car you have

so wot do you drive

DOC23
12-07-10, 17:22
it depends if the car uses maf sensors or map sensors

i have a ps13 and the slightest boost leak causes the car to run like shit (maf sensor)
and i also have a 1jz supra which uses map sensors with this set up on a car you could remove every boost pipe and the car will still run fine (not miss fireing etc) just be down on power

so the characteristics of a boost leak are different depending on the car you have

so wot do you drive

180sx redtop mate.

car doesnt die out when coming off throttle also

here is a vid of it on idle
http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/ss151/DOC23-1987/?action=view&current=11072010039.mp4

ian g sr20
12-07-10, 17:54
If you rev the car and when its coming back down to idle it nearly cuts out. That usually means you have a boost leak.

would a blown turbo gasket cause this also??
gasket were mani bolts to the turbo

Nicky
13-07-10, 05:11
Possibly, as the turbo isn't getting the full power that it should be from the exhaust.

Could be a bad air flow meter, air/fuel might need set, bad timing etc etc. Hard to say without seeing it. Get someone that knows Nissan's or even a decetn mechanic to have a look at it...

And to answer your previous question, if it was leaking enough boost to cause a bad idle, it would most certainly be losing enough to be noticeably down on power. Just think, a car will run with no boost pipes going from the turbo to the inlet at all, but give it any throttle at all and the chances are it will die...