PDA

View Full Version : HANS device in drifting

s13-ste
05-07-10, 22:55
keep seeing this convo popping up on DW alot over the last few weeks.

IMO a neck brace is a must but HANS is overkill. it would just restrict head movement too much meaning shallower lines and less drivers trying full on spastic entries.

whats drivers thoughts?

Tekno Twinky
05-07-10, 22:57
such shite.. by all means safety 1st blah

Stevo
05-07-10, 22:59
They cost sum fookin money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

s13-ste
05-07-10, 23:04
cost has to be a mega factor too. they can be got for $500 these days but then your lid has to have the posts on it or have some added on.

$5-700 goes along way on a drift car

jdmjimmy
05-07-10, 23:10
load of cock! was anyone ever killed or really badly hurt driving a drift car on a track?

yowdy
05-07-10, 23:12
a total load of cock,, i truly think, cage, good fitting seat,, harness, and neck brace along wid good helmet is plenty

Pete
05-07-10, 23:20
Neck braces can be a bit hit and miss. if you hit something really hard the leverage between your helmet and the neck brace can extend your neck causing damage. In drifting there isnt the same speeds as rallying/F1/Nascar remember,them guy have to worry about hitting trees or walls at anywhere frm 140-220mph.and theres much less chance of hitting something head-on in a driftcar,so a seat with side braces on it would do the job.

Dan Byrne
05-07-10, 23:59
There is way too much head movement needed while drifting In my personal opinion and the hans device would not be practical for that reason.

Great system, but not for drifting.

Nicky
06-07-10, 00:03
Load of balls as far as drifting goes in my opinion.

Far too restrictive (considering how much a drifter has to turn his head numerous times throughout a drift), they aren't financially viable for most folk in the sport (around £1000 for the full set-up by the time a HANS approved helmet is bought) and they would be total overkill given the speeds and impacts involved in drifting (60-80mph collisions with sideways impact - how good is the HANS device for that kind of crash...?).

As Yowdy said, a good cage, a fixed bucket seat fitted in the proper manner, a set of harnesses and a lid is plenty... http://www.broncoshq.com/images/smilies/icon_thumbs_up.gif

James Deane RX7
06-07-10, 00:18
Personally I dont think theres much of a need for anything supporting your head/neck in drifting, lots of head movement ect...

For examply i hit the wall hard 4th gear in long beach World champs 2008, as u can see in the video my head gets a nice thug but i was fine after...A little stiff for a few days but nothing major

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zArf1i5U0fE

Prodrifter86
06-07-10, 13:43
Hans devices in drifting????????/ jesus dont get me started on this shit!
this is bull! my dad did rallying for 30 years they brought this in and its stupid out! he's a big man and he cudnt get out of the car with the helmet and hans on him he had to take it off! many people had said , the top drivers in rallying and some big lads said that if they rolled the car there was no way off getting out because of the HANS device was restricting to move the neck aswell! its a load of shite! it will make drifting more expensive and the same thing will happen as rallying it will decline !!

this means that every single drift car will have to change some of the bars on the roll cages to suit the angle of the hans.. and i thnk in low cars like s-bodys it wud be dangerous with a hans because of such a low roof!