PDA

View Full Version : Discussion; would Prodrift/D-rift benefit from a Street Legal catagory?

PeterT
29-07-09, 00:33
Just reading a topic on Dw, and one of the guys that lives in Japan say the street legal class cars are all fully road legal and driven to and from events.

There less wild spec 'in general' and see more exiting action, as people dont want to smash up there cars unlike in the track only cars that people dont give a shit and bash up like bumper cars.

What if Ireland had a street legal class?? Would it all be as popular as our man Dan Moorhead in his road worthy bus??

Discuss minions!!

Tekno Twinky
29-07-09, 00:37
Yea or you could just drive up to nutts this weekend an have a blast !

Nobody wants to smash up there car uggh the thoughts of pullin and beating makes me ill NO THANKS!

Yea street legal would be cool ! NCT a must ?

s13-ste
29-07-09, 00:38
i take it cages are still a must tho?
id say it would be a great class and alot more poeple would get into drifting then, the only worry would be the amount of streeto that would be going on

gem-s13
29-07-09, 00:42
im sorry but im just going to be mr negitive strait away most of the irish pro cars are about that same as the jap street cars it would be cool but what would the ruels be based on?? power, modifications or unlimeted but has to have tax and nct?

carbondrive
29-07-09, 00:50
Hi Folks,

I reckon it would be a good idea and would help the novice.

J

Cooldrft
29-07-09, 07:20
I cant see an advantage to it.
There's no reason not to enter a road car as the rules stand.
To enter D-rift you need a harness,helmet+hand held fire extinguisher,only need a roll cage if you go into twin battles.
John Twomey won a few rounds in drift/prodrift armature class this year in a corolla DX up against 300+bhp nissans, so you dont need big power to win.

I dont see the pro drivers bashing their cars up like bumper cars.
Dan moorhead has rubbed more walls in his road car than he did in the trailered car.

It'd rule alot of young lads out ,cause they couldn't afford insurance,nct+tax.
When the insurance company hears about it,I'd imagine the premiums would be going up.

It'd be good to have a class with limited power, but it'd be hard to enforce the rules.

Davie
29-07-09, 07:34
im not sure,i think the support wouldnt be there for it at the mo
when drifting gets more established maybe you could open doors to street cars only comps,but i still think there will be as much bumper crunching if not more

Eoin R.
29-07-09, 12:41
Well the day i drove the 13 out the gate in WGH was funny out!! the marshells were tryin to stop me and all!!

Its cool driven to events and that! But alot cudnt afford it imo!

pt_y2k
29-07-09, 12:50
D-rift novice class at the mo basically is that as said above...maybe a lower power class would be good,but the way things are now you've very little tracktime as it stands not a mind an extra class being thrown into the works... be entertaining to watch tho,fact!!:D:D

Eoin R.
29-07-09, 12:58
D-rift novice class at the mo basically is that as said above...maybe a lower power class would be good,but the way things are now you've very little tracktime as it stands not a mind an extra class being thrown into the works... be entertaining to watch tho,fact!!:D:D

Did u drive in the last time lad??
If u did id say we were the only 2!

PeterT
29-07-09, 13:35
alot of mixed views! as a car enthusiast i like to drive a modded car all the time, and hence have no money to do drift days or whatever, in a fully track prepped car. Was interested to see if there was others whod compete on a low scale with there road drivers.

The piont about the insurance would be an interesting one though!

hers a nice oul street legal vid...including a civic at 1.20 who can drift better then me! haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rIZ03dfyVQ

serious tom
29-07-09, 14:09
you need a working radio in your car to be SL. not sure bout AC tho;

im with davie, for it to work or have much chance of being a success it would need to be introduced once drifting as a sport has become a bit more common.
i mean japan has had drifting regarded as a motor sport for a long time and it has the facilities and stuff already in place.
it could be done here with time and effort so people may aswell try.

as for the driving to and from the event, it could be done, but as many people know im 16 and i have concidered EVERY POSSIBILITY on how to get some form or drifting into my life.
and im the biggest lifestyler JDM wanabe ever
seriously after months of asking, enquiring, saving, i have not come up with a solution, young people simply cant get a drifty car what soever on the road unless they have 6000 pounds for insurance.
so that rules out the younger generation.

id say if SL was introduced as a class and used to establish itself over a few years numbers would grow and it would improve with age.

(look at D1GP / BDC / UKGP etc, it has evolved and become better.)

Frankae86
29-07-09, 17:19
im sorry but im just going to be mr negitive strait away most of the irish pro cars are about that same as the jap street cars it would be cool but what would the ruels be based on?? power, modifications or unlimeted but has to have tax and nct?

This is exactly right, My car was used by Andy Gray in the street legal d1 in japan. And its pro spec here, for instance 380 hp, full cage, HAD Os Giken box 2way etc...
The hydraulic handbrake WASNT in it and was supposed to have a cat but it was just blown out inside of it.

gem-s13
29-07-09, 17:45
This is exactly right, My car was used by Andy Gray in the street legal d1 in japan. And its pro spec here, for instance 380 hp, full cage, HAD Os Giken box 2way etc...
The hydraulic handbrake WASNT in it and was supposed to have a cat but it was just blown out inside of it.

all it needs for pros is a driver!!lol :D:D;)

Frankae86
29-07-09, 17:48
Well i was hinting but didnt like to say it, thats the real reason i didnt give it to Denis Healy that day lad lol :p

conorosr20
29-07-09, 17:52
One word.....Insurance

sr20ronan
29-07-09, 20:04
if it did get started it wud jst be a load of shitr s on the track cause who wans to come home with a bashed up road car.if youve spent a gud bit on it you wouldnt be going all out in twin battle. And i say bashed up because i no alot of shit drivers that i dont trust

s13-ste
29-07-09, 20:30
if you think your never going to bang the car or dont trust the people your going to be twinnig with you shouldnt be out there really.

PeterT
29-07-09, 22:41
you need a working radio in your car to be SL. not sure bout AC tho;

young people simply cant get a drifty car what soever on the road unless they have 6000 pounds for insurance.

a working radio?! now theres an odd rule!

try harder, i had a e30 with a welded diff and chopped springs at 17:D

but yes, it seams it is flawed, i was interested to hear what people thoughts were on it though!

serious tom
02-08-09, 22:04
but possible if people dont take take on the opinion it will be an instant success.

sr20ronan
04-08-09, 19:09
if you think your never going to bang the car or dont trust the people your going to be twinnig with you shouldnt be out there really.

ur just saying what i said. just drift with people you trust then, happy

Davie
04-08-09, 19:14
ur just saying what i said. just drift with people you trust then, happy

thats a bit hard if its a comp:confused:

sr20ronan
04-08-09, 19:15
ha ha true. dats why id put a shitr in .