PDA

View Full Version : anyone running a shimmed diff?

alan opel
28-06-10, 14:20
right so nct is wednesday and after that i need to sort my open diff gayness. either weld it, shim it, or find a cheap 1.5 / 2 way which prob wont be easy cos mines a 6 bolt flanger. i wer talkin to kav_gtst in limerick few weeks back about shimming the diff, anyone done this? pros and cons? only benefit to me really would be that i can just remove the shim an it wouldnt be locked anymore, wouldnt need to buy another diff, it looks like you cant do it with an open diff? has to be done to a vlsd? sure these are cheap and gay anyway? any info appreicated! cheers.:D

dannyc
28-06-10, 14:55
One of the buddys got his standard 14a lsd shimmed a few weeks back and it is the buisness before that there was a 1.5way in it and the shimmed one is way way better very tight almost like a welded diff I would definately recommend this very surprised it was so good!!

2tonne
28-06-10, 15:01
One of the buddys got his standard 14a lsd shimmed a few weeks back and it is the buisness before that there was a 1.5way in it and the shimmed one is way way better very tight almost like a welded diff I would definately recommend this very surprised it was so good!!

Whats she like parking etc.. any knocking?

richy
28-06-10, 16:18
Ive one shim in, only skips on loose surfaces, otherwise 100%.

alan opel
28-06-10, 16:37
Ive one shim in, only skips on loose surfaces, otherwise 100%.

did you remove the old shim or double up? an just on the one side or both?

dannyc
28-06-10, 16:52
Whats she like parking etc.. any knocking?

There is a bit ya but no more than ud get wit a two way or even 1.5way if ya want a good tight diff its expected

richy
28-06-10, 20:53
@ Alan, one 0.8mm one in on top of the original one. .

Think my last one had about 100 shims in it lol, nasty enough hehe

alan opel
28-06-10, 21:00
@ Alan, one 0.8mm one in on top of the original one. .

Think my last one had about 100 shims in it lol, nasty enough hehe

haha she'll def be tight enough then haha, did you put it over the one on the crownwheel side? or remove the viscous unit an do da other one? cheers for the info