PDA

View Full Version : ECU - Tomei - what to do?

cliff
25-06-10, 08:47
Hey folks... im looking at a car witha tomei ecu in it.

Im not fully sure is it a standalone or piggyback... My guess is piggyback unit
Ive looked at http://www.tomeiusa.com/ItemSearch.aspx and cant figure out a thing...
Emailed Tomei with no reply yet...

This is a picture of it installed in the car.
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/rayfusc/IMAG0087.jpg

Writing on the top reads:
Tomei Progressive computer control unit

It looks to be original Nissan casing from what I make out..
Bottom right corner it says Tomei C.P.U
TCPF 3108
Spoke to TDP, Couture + Westward briefly yesterday and they all told me it was useless over here and that no-one could do anything with it. Leaving me in the position of a new standalone such as Apexi Power fc etc...

Im wondering, can the Tomei kit be removed and nistune or something be installed over it?
Basically Im trying to figure out whatill need to do ECU wise to ensure its mapped for 95 octane and all safe.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated...

Cliff

Stonie
25-06-10, 10:26
It's only a chipped standard ecu good for nothing other than to blow up your engine!!
It will plug out and you can plug in a standard ecu as you can get the car set up for 95 on a standard ecu in TDP.

200sx
25-06-10, 10:29
as was said it only a standerd chiped ecu,just fire it out off there and replace it with a standerd one,and work from there on what you want 2 do with it!!

cliff
25-06-10, 10:44
Anybody got a standard ecu going? Or even second hand apexi power fc for s13 sr20det?

Car has this in it a couple of years... Covered very little milege however (think it has been parked up for a while).. No smoke - appears to run good on it. Is it likely Detination has caused much damage...? Id like to run a compression etst on it really...

Stonie
25-06-10, 10:59
Anybody got a standard ecu going? Or even second hand apexi power fc for s13 sr20det?

Car has this in it a couple of years... Covered very little milege however (think it has been parked up for a while).. No smoke - appears to run good on it. Is it likely Detination has caused much damage...? Id like to run a compression etst on it really...

You will need to do a leak down test with the compression test as the compression test on it's own does not always tell the whole story, a look down in the bores with a bore scope wouldn go astray either.

cliff
25-06-10, 11:31
yea was thinking a leak down test aswell...
Bore scope would be handy actually...

MarkII
25-06-10, 12:46
don't count your chickens before they have hatched!!! get on to wcp west coast performance they have a tomei contract and might be able to map it,

cliff
25-06-10, 13:20
Rang them there... Fairly helpfull... I emailed on the pic + details and he said he'll look into it. But it'll be next week prob wednesday before he knows anything... Be handier just replace it me thinks...

Any1 got an apexi FC for sale?