PDA

View Full Version : E36 engine choice

skinny d
04-06-10, 17:41
Well lads , did a search and found nothing on the topic .

Basicly , I'm strongly concidering getting a cheapy-cheap e36 track shitter for the summer .

BUT my question is , would a 320 do the job ?
I don't necessarily need somthing with loads of power , and would rather go down towards the '' learn in something underpowered '' route .

So yes , let me know please ! :)

Prodrifter86
04-06-10, 18:15
to be honset daryl id go for 328i! u get the 192 bhp standard and a few bits will get you over 200bhp! i think you should not go under 2.5ltr in my opinion!

skinny d
04-06-10, 22:23
Mkay . The plan is to ; just buy the car , strip it of everything it doesn't need , chop it , weld it , and seat time , seat time , seat time .

I'll have a looksy for 328's so .

Prodrifter86
04-06-10, 22:24
Mkay . The plan is to ; just buy the car , strip it of everything it doesn't need , chop it , weld it , and seat time , seat time , seat time .

I'll have a looksy for 328's so .

chop wat???????????????????????????????

skinny d
04-06-10, 22:26
Springs . Just a tad , if large quantities of ghey arch gap are present .

shines14
04-06-10, 22:26
chop wat???????????????????????????????

springs i presume

blusrule
04-06-10, 23:51
Well, the 320i is plenty of power if your only drifting for the craic! Obviously you won't win any competitions but it will get you around. The one i have has been very reliable despite three days in mondello close enough to the limit for two hours! The main thing with bmws is to get a good base car, once you have that the engines in the e36 bmws all use the same mounting point so you can go all the way to a m3 if you want more power, conversions are fairly cheap.

Heres a couple of pics of my 320i with welded diff,hydro handbrake, redstuff pads, 15" alloys and stripped out. All you need to get goin really

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae56/yogi325i/DI/465.jpg

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae56/yogi325i/DI/150.jpg

skinny d
05-06-10, 10:22
^^ Thanking you sir !!

Good stuff . Ye it's only for tramping really , to get started in like . Have plenty of options so . Cheers lads .

Prodrifter86
05-06-10, 13:42
chopping springs?????? DANGEROUS.COM in my view!

shines14
05-06-10, 15:10
chopping springs?????? DANGEROUS.COM in my view!

id say not if you know what youre doing, just like setting yourself on fire would be safe as long as you new what u were doing:D

greenmachine
05-06-10, 15:29
E36 325i I'd say if anything

Arn't those 318is anygood to go? If the cars being stripped of everthing?

Those E36 interiors are heavy compared to some cars (cams, silvias, or anything jap for that matter) You'd be suprised at the ammount of shit in bmws interior wise.. Take it to a landfill with weigh bridge before and after youve taken as much as you can out.. don't forget sound deadening to - I filled 2 LIDL bags of it out of my old twincam, weight of em.

Prodrifter86
05-06-10, 16:20
id say not if you know what youre doing, just like setting yourself on fire would be safe as long as you new what u were doing:D

haha maybe!! i think coilovers wud be a better set u from some dori dori!:p

skinny d
05-06-10, 23:05
E36 325i I'd say if anything

Arn't those 318is anygood to go? If the cars being stripped of everthing?

Those E36 interiors are heavy compared to some cars (cams, silvias, or anything jap for that matter) You'd be suprised at the ammount of shit in bmws interior wise.. Take it to a landfill with weigh bridge before and after youve taken as much as you can out.. don't forget sound deadening to - I filled 2 LIDL bags of it out of my old twincam, weight of em.

Good man . Ye it'll be stripped out to the last .

@ Willy . Coilovers ? Haha . Keep it on the cheap son , on the cheap .

blusrule
05-06-10, 23:06
^^ Thanking you sir !!

Good stuff . Ye it's only for tramping really , to get started in like . Have plenty of options so . Cheers lads .

No bodas! Hopefully be more pics after tomorrow, mondello again! :D
There a great car to start off in anyway and alot cheaper to get bit if anything goes wrong because theres beemers everywher being broke!
And standard suspension in mine, not a bother on it!

skinny d
05-06-10, 23:08
No bodas! Hopefully be more pics after tomorrow, mondello again! :D
There a great car to start off in anyway and alot cheaper to get bit if anything goes wrong because theres beemers everywher being broke!
And standard suspension in mine, not a bother on it!

Exactly . Cheap is the name of the game . Is there a project thread on your car ?? Just to get a better look etc .... ???

If not , what's the spec ?:)

blusrule
05-06-10, 23:16
Exactly . Cheap is the name of the game . Is there a project thread on your car ?? Just to get a better look etc .... ???

If not , what's the spec ?:)

http://driftireland.com/showthread.php?t=1329

Thats the project thread but didn't really give a step by step, just too lazy!

At the mo its

Stripped out bar the dash
Standard 2 litre engine with cone air filter and big back box, still has the cat!
Welded diff
Hydraulic handbrake with own reservoir for back brakes, fronts and rears are seperate so
Redstuff pads all around with grooved discs on back
Standard suspension
15" alloys, no point in goin any bigger with this power
Two bucket seats and harnesses butchered in!

I change the oil after every day out and only other thing that went was an exhaust gasket

Couldnt really fault it at all!

skinny d
06-06-10, 00:44
Feck , very basic setup so . Basic but effective , and cheap . Exactly what I want .

I was thinking also , the advantage of 320 or anything bigger is ..... better fuel economy :P Saves me spending shit loads on petrol all the time , haha .

Prodrifter86
06-06-10, 13:05
Feck , very basic setup so . Basic but effective , and cheap . Exactly what I want .

I was thinking also , the advantage of 320 or anything bigger is ..... better fuel economy :P Saves me spending shit loads on petrol all the time , haha .

ur not going to be driving on the motorway daryl! hahaha!

skinny d
06-06-10, 16:15
Still , every penny counts :D

Prodrifter86
06-06-10, 17:39
yeah but wouldnt a 2.0 be less power to move all the weight and more revving!

yogi325
06-06-10, 18:41
i'd say a 320 wud do the job for startin off, they're bout 150bhp standard. ya'd get 1 a good bit cheaper than a 325.
nothin too dangerous with cuttin springs, often done it! just take em out, cut a few coils off and keep em all the same height and ya'l b grand!!
strip it, lower it and weld the diff an ya'l b sorted on the cheap..

skinny d
06-06-10, 21:29
i'd say a 320 wud do the job for startin off, they're bout 150bhp standard. ya'd get 1 a good bit cheaper than a 325.
nothin too dangerous with cuttin springs, often done it! just take em out, cut a few coils off and keep em all the same height and ya'l b grand!!
strip it, lower it and weld the diff an ya'l b sorted on the cheap..

Amen . :cool: