PDA

View Full Version : one for the rb26 heads

damodeane
02-06-10, 07:32
it seems to be a common problem in the rb26 that when there on high rev the oil stays in the head and dosent get bach to the sump quick enough.to combat this im going running a pipe from the back of the head to the sump so that the oil returns to the sump quicker .

my qustion is has anyone done this on here ,

where did you get the pipe fittings as im getting it hard to find them.

and how do you think this has worked for you

richy
02-06-10, 07:43
http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113564

Handiest way to do it

damodeane
02-06-10, 08:11
seems very pricey for 3 fittings and a pice of pipe

richy
02-06-10, 08:14
Mate of mine might have one for sale, he bought it and never used it. I'm not sure if he's sold it on yet or not, but i'll find out for you :)

damodeane
02-06-10, 08:36
Mate of mine might have one for sale, he bought it and never used it. I'm not sure if he's sold it on yet or not, but i'll find out for you :)

cheers richy let me know

richy
02-06-10, 09:30
I was talking to him there, he's only got the bit that goes onto the head and the connectors, excluding the hoses and the bit that goes onto the sump... So he's got about half a kit! ol, its a Sard "kit" afaik.

Said he'd take £80

damodeane
02-06-10, 10:10
can you get him to email me a picture of what he has please to damodeane@yahoo.ie

nissan_doctor
02-06-10, 12:29
Rising sun performance sell a kit for doing this. Its a problem with all RB engines, not just the 26.

I'll be doing it on my RB20. It should be combined with oil restrictors too.

Stonie
02-06-10, 12:34
These things are not necessary at all, they are only needed on serious power drag cars that are pulling severe g force and forces the oil to the back of the head.

git
02-06-10, 13:07
These things are not necessary at all, they are only needed on serious power drag cars that are pulling severe g force and forces the oil to the back of the head.

bang one on mine so paul ,listenin to stonie there hahah! :D

chrisbrady325
02-06-10, 15:10
mine did this all weekend.. gettin it sorted now for Sunday.. its dangerous could very easily do a Rb engine in!

damodeane
02-06-10, 15:36
mine did this all weekend.. gettin it sorted now for Sunday.. its dangerous could very easily do a Rb engine in!

i know chris thats why im doing
it . Iv
e the engine sitting on the floor with the sump off .just wondering where is the best place to get the fittings.also where is the best place to fit to the sump.some say at the bottom others say the top.with it been at the bottom there will always be 4 inches of oil in the return pipe

nissan_doctor
02-06-10, 15:36

Its needed for any RB that will be doing track work. Its one of the main reasons for big end failure on RBs.

When they are used at high rpm for long periods the return of oil to the sump is slower then the feed of oil to the head so the bottom end suffors oil starvation.

Its also important that the external oil return is fitted to the correct side of the sump(same side as the turbo oil return) so that the vacume caused by the cranks rotation aids the oil return.

damodeane
02-06-10, 18:13
Its needed for any RB that will be doing track work. Its one of the main reasons for big end failure on RBs.

When they are used at high rpm for long periods the return of oil to the sump is slower then the feed of oil to the head so the bottom end suffors oil starvation.

Its also important that the external oil return is fitted to the correct side of the sump(same side as the turbo oil return) so that the vacume caused by the cranks rotation aids the oil return.

can the pipe be tee,d into one of the turbo oil return pipes

robbie@tdp.ie
02-06-10, 20:15

This is just rubbish. If you build a RB26 correctly then it will not keep the oil up on top. We have and still do work on many very powerful high reving RB26 engines and none have this mod all. In fact we have worked and machined parts for many world record setting RB engine and none of them had this mod.

If you need this mod then you need to look at other things first ? Like is you engine leak down excessive are you pistons rocking in the bore and letting the pressure in to the crankcase.

I have discussed this with many of the top tuners of RB around the world ( Abbey Motorsport, RB Motorsport, Top Secret, Power House Amuse, Mario, Croyden Racing Developments, and some more. They all agree with me. Build the engine properly and even with a Tomei up rated oil pump you can run 10000 rpms all day as long as your cams can do 10K.

The main reason for big end failures on RB engines is high mileage on old bearings or incorrect oil clearance / for oil grade.

Robbie

richy
02-06-10, 20:44
The master has spoken lol thats that sorted then!

damodeane
02-06-10, 22:40
so to be clear ur saying this mod is a waste of time and money.why are companys making this kit then.there must be some truth in it somwhere

nissan_doctor
02-06-10, 23:18
This is just rubbish. If you build a RB26 correctly then it will not keep the oil up on top. We have and still do work on many very powerful high reving RB26 engines and none have this mod all. In fact we have worked and machined parts for many world record setting RB engine and none of them had this mod.

If you need this mod then you need to look at other things first ? Like is you engine leak down excessive are you pistons rocking in the bore and letting the pressure in to the crankcase.

I have discussed this with many of the top tuners of RB around the world ( Abbey Motorsport, RB Motorsport, Top Secret, Power House Amuse, Mario, Croyden Racing Developments, and some more. They all agree with me. Build the engine properly and even with a Tomei up rated oil pump you can run 10000 rpms all day as long as your cams can do 10K.

The main reason for big end failures on RB engines is high mileage on old bearings or incorrect oil clearance / for oil grade.

Robbie

I agree totally that if its built properly you won't have the problem. However I gather we are talking about standard factory engines where the problem seems to be commented on quite alot by many GTR owners.

JDM
03-06-10, 07:24
it seems to be a common problem in the rb26 that when there on high rev the oil stays in the head and dosent get bach to the sump quick enough.to combat this im going running a pipe from the back of the head to the sump so that the oil returns to the sump quicker .

my qustion is has anyone done this on here ,

where did you get the pipe fittings as im getting it hard to find them.

and how do you think this has worked for you

No Wonder ive gone true so many engines :confused::confused:

robbie@tdp.ie
03-06-10, 07:40
I agree totally that if its built properly you won't have the problem. However I gather we are talking about standard factory engines where the problem seems to be commented on quite alot by many GTR owners.

If its a std factory engine without a broken ring land it will be fine but by the time it gets to Ireland it need to have new bearings and oil punp to allow it to run at hig revs all the time.

You can do this mod if you want but its a waste of money and not addressing the real problem

Robbie

damodeane
03-06-10, 08:06
If its a std factory engine without a broken ring land it will be fine but by the time it gets to Ireland it need to have new bearings and oil punp to allow it to run at hig revs all the time.

You can do this mod if you want but its a waste of money and not addressing the real problem

Robbie

i have new bearings and all gaskets peplalced
was going for new oil pump
but the funds dried up. Do you sell them and what king of money are they.what solves this oil problem permantely

robbie@tdp.ie
03-06-10, 10:57
i have new bearings and all gaskets peplalced
was going for new oil pump
but the funds dried up. Do you sell them and what king of money are they.what solves this oil problem permantely

What bearings have you ? What oil clearance did you use ? Was the engine fully stripped and cleaned before the new bearings were fitted. There is no bearing / oil problem if they are built properly.

Robbie

damodeane
03-06-10, 12:01
What bearings have you ? What oil clearance did you use ? Was the engine fully stripped and cleaned before the new bearings were fitted. There is no bearing / oil problem if they are built properly.

Robbie

engine wasent fully stripped .new acl race bearings main and rod.

Cooldrft
03-06-10, 21:13
I done this mod ,along with baffling + increasing the sump capacity on my rb while the engine was out.
I made up my own kit + have been running it without any problems for over a year.
Pic of it fitted to the head:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h231/COOLDRFT/DSC00147.jpg?t=1275600339

Frankae86
03-06-10, 21:14
But James........... Your cool :)

Cooldrft
03-06-10, 21:18
But James........... Your cool :)

Lol :rolleyes:

damodeane
03-06-10, 21:42
Lol :rolleyes:

nice job how did you fix it to the head
did u t it in or put another fitting in the sump

Cooldrft
03-06-10, 22:32
nice job how did you fix it to the head
did u t it in or put another fitting in the sump

I drilled + tapped two M4 holes into the block.
Welded a pipe onto the sump "close to the top + near the pick-up".
The pipe I used for draining was 13mm braided.

I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I still have the program for the part.