PDA

View Full Version : steering??

ste
21-07-09, 18:37
well peeps hope someone can help me here, ever since i bought the skyline i have found the steering a lot heavier than any other car i have had... the chaser was light as a feather could turn with baby finger but skyline is considerably heavier and to be honest id like it to be somewhat lighter... is there anything i can do to lighten it or anythin i can check for to try sort this out or am i stuck with this......

when i got car mapped in t.d.p robbie said it could be down to car being so low but i not too sure....

Greg
21-07-09, 19:59
The Chasers steering isn't that light now that it's lowered Ste, so Robbie could be right. Every car has different steering feel anyway so it could just be that. :)

eric25
21-07-09, 20:06
id say its just down to the car been so low and that u were just used to chaser id say

Moose
21-07-09, 20:32
ive always found skylines steering to be heavy, but havin it lowered wud make it feel heavy ne way. I think its just the way they are

ste
21-07-09, 20:38
suppose it could just be that so...:o

Frankae86
21-07-09, 20:52
Not nesecerily (spelling), DEN on here me and one of out buddies had 3 R32's and they were all different. Dens was heavy Neils was UNREAL light and mine was normal. Maybe the Rack is tight in your car, you can adjust how tight or loose you want it.

When i bought the drift car there was savage play in the tie rods and when i tightened the rack up its perfect

Jay Rockett
21-07-09, 21:34
Check your powersteering fluid level or check it for leaks! if you have much negative camber that'll also make the steering heavier!

But lowering the front will add more weight to the front wheels so steering will be heavier..

PeterT
21-07-09, 21:54
mines pretty damn heavy too, its heavier than my manual rack ae86! must top up the fluid when i get a chance/remember

ste
21-07-09, 21:57
fluid is ok jay and there is neg camber on front not sure how much though it cant be too much as tires still lookin ok 6months on so just find it quite heavy for normal drivin

podge
21-07-09, 22:01
i think skylines are heavy as stantard i know mine is anyways

Jay Rockett
21-07-09, 22:09
fluid is ok jay and there is neg camber on front not sure how much though it cant be too much as tires still lookin ok 6months on so just find it quite heavy for normal drivin

Yeah it could be the fact that its a big 4dr with a 6cylinder lump up front, did ya
try putting your engine in the back??:D

Ah no, maybe try a little less negative camber and if its not making much of an
improvement then you'll avta put up with it, ha! I find my steerings heaving in the
silvia too but thats cause iv a slight leak and 18x9.5's with alot of spacers and a bit of negative camber!

ste
21-07-09, 22:15
Yeah it could be the fact that its a big 4dr with a 6cylinder lump up front, did ya
try putting your engine in the back??:D

Ah no, maybe try a little less negative camber and if its not making much of an
improvement then you'll avta put up with it, ha! I find my steerings heaving in the
silvia too but thats cause iv a slight leak and 18x9.5's with alot of spacers and a bit of negative camber!

ill get it checked further as i gettin new track rod ends fitted over next few days:D

Damo
21-07-09, 22:22
Stop being a girl :p

Dreamworks-silvia
22-07-09, 13:56

x1 nice one damo:D

ste
22-07-09, 14:04

me the girl??? you in a fwd:p LOL

Jimmy
22-07-09, 16:51
Ye man my 32s heavy enough compared to me mates cars i dunno, i know i need new track rods tho just keep forgetting to sort it.

mick-skyline
24-07-09, 11:43
the size of your wheels added to the neg camber along with the lowering of your car all make it that bit heavier ste. plus you need a track rod end too dont ya....

ste
24-07-09, 14:35
booked in with the legend that is NISSAN DOCTOR tomorrow for few bits to be adjusted so will have a look then

retro head
24-07-09, 17:57
when you lower them big ould yokes is there not adjustments you need to make to combat bumpsteer and bring the cars roll centre back in line?i know nothing about them nissans but theres not many cars you can lower loads and expect all suspension and steering geometry to still work perfectly