PDA

View Full Version : 180SX understeer and hopping

rossfinn
20-07-09, 10:47
just though this is probably the place to ask so here we go...
problem 1

any time i drift my 180 in the wet it understeers to bits, usually i can power through it but that pushes me out way wide and i cant keep a line. i got
brand new potenza's so grip isnt the issue. any ideas what to add to stop it.
problem 2
in the dry i need to get so much speed up to get the back spinnin but that just makes the front susp hop and bounce and makes the counter steepr difficult. i think somethings broken but havent got a clue what

any ideas??????

mr.jailbait
20-07-09, 11:03
sounds like front suspension is too hard

nigey00
20-07-09, 11:26
what coilovers are you using.....

you have too much pre-load on the front springs...

rossfinn
20-07-09, 11:59
i'm gonna be honest i have no idea they were on it when i got the car, ill have a look and be back in a few...
im sorry man but please explain pre-load???

Jay Rockett
20-07-09, 12:25
Yea your front suspension is too hard, hence the understeer in the wet and the bouncing in the dry!

Be carefull how much negative camber you use too, there is such thing too much!

rossfinn
20-07-09, 16:04
sound lads, its been drivin me mad fince i bought the yoke... the camber is standard never changed anybody suggest a good soft pair of front coilovers for a 180 then?

retro head
20-07-09, 17:29
Yea your front suspension is too hard, hence the understeer in the wet and the bouncing in the dry!

Be carefull how much negative camber you use too, there is such thing too much!

ye wouldnt think so lookin at some cars!i could never understand dialing in a load of neg camber on a car with super tight stretched tyres or a really low profile, because there never gonna flex down to make a decent contact patch for grip,throw super hard suspension into the mix to completely understeer and generally bounce of the road!

i think some of the brains on the site and experienced lads should throw up a few stickys with technical write ups about setting up a drift car and explaining suspension and tyres in general??bit to much style over substance betimes methinks

Frankae86
20-07-09, 17:40
I put up a thread askin about steering setup and i dont think anyone replied, must check did i actually write the post or was i dreaming :rolleyes:

podge
20-07-09, 20:31
i set up the suspension in the front of my car a while back and the settings i used was coilovers meduim not to hard and not to soft im running about 2.5 to 3 degrees camber each side only used nankangs before and the grip was ok ran it wit new toyo r888s today and the car never lost front end grip at all to day on the track back wasnt as grippy wit the r888s but im gonna try a few more adjustments for the next day on trak for the rear

retro head
20-07-09, 21:04
i set up the suspension in the front of my car a while back and the settings i used was coilovers meduim not to hard and not to soft im running about 2.5 to 3 degrees camber each side only used nankangs before and the grip was ok ran it wit new toyo r888s today and the car never lost front end grip at all to day on the track back wasnt as grippy wit the r888s but im gonna try a few more adjustments for the next day on trak for the rear

what do you mean about the tyres dude,you ran r888s on the back?im assuming the nankangs arent the mud and snow type lads run on a twincam?had some scary experiences up the sally gap with them all round on a cam!
how much castor do you run?

nigey00
20-07-09, 21:35
the best way to guage yer pre load on the springs is to jack the front of the car up and try turn the spring on the coilover by hand!! if you can just turn in then yer right and this is how the coilovers should be used.....

Castor can also effect understeer on d car... are you running adjustable castor rods or standard....

Setting a car up at the front for drifting is completly different than for grip drivin.... i should know... i've had enough experiance with both....

negative camber on the front is good.... no more than 3degrees though with an sr20.... with the extra weight up front of my car im currently running -5deg.... seems to be workin well and also helps seein as i aint running an arb...

podge
20-07-09, 21:44
what do you mean about the tyres dude,you ran r888s on the back?im assuming the nankangs arent the mud and snow type lads run on a twincam?had some scary experiences up the sally gap with them all round on a cam!
how much castor do you run?

it means the only tyre for grip on a drift car is a good track tyre pirellis etc in my eyes just dont seem to cut it i ran 888s all round today for grip driving

castor i pulled it as far forward as i could get it

retro head
20-07-09, 23:44
it means the only tyre for grip on a drift car is a good track tyre pirellis etc in my eyes just dont seem to cut it i ran 888s all round today for grip driving

castor i pulled it as far forward as i could get it

ah right grip driving!was thinking what a lad would be doin drifting with r888s on the back!

rossfinn
21-07-09, 08:46
the best way to guage yer pre load on the springs is to jack the front of the car up and try turn the spring on the coilover by hand!! if you can just turn in then yer right and this is how the coilovers should be used.....

Castor can also effect understeer on d car... are you running adjustable castor rods or standard....

Setting a car up at the front for drifting is completly different than for grip drivin.... i should know... i've had enough experiance with both....

negative camber on the front is good.... no more than 3degrees though with an sr20.... with the extra weight up front of my car im currently running -5deg.... seems to be workin well and also helps seein as i aint running an arb...

ill try do that with the spring, probably after this flood tho im not getting under my car in this.
its has standard castor arms so thats all normal but the shocks are really hard so that could be it but i'll check everything i can, thanks for the advice, good to have an expert for this type of info. im sure ill have something else for ye in a month or 2

podge
21-07-09, 11:21
ah right grip driving!was thinking what a lad would be doin drifting with r888s on the back!

ive seen a ar drifting wit r888s on the back was impressive two:cool:

rossfinn
21-07-09, 15:16
Ooooo have ye know!?!?!? :D:D:D