PDA

View Full Version : vvt rattle problem.

NIALL JZX
14-07-09, 10:34
the oul vvt rattle has decided to start again in my car. its a 94 s14 drift car i bought from japan bout 18 months ago.. vvt hub started to rattle about 6 months ago -start off like bearly tappin and after a while got really load wit a grindin sound + even sounds twice as bad as usual the way it ticks over like a pig with the cams dat are in it.. anyway i changed it for another one that i was told was mint which was handy enuf do really.. when i had it done i was told to take the plug out from the cam angle sensor and turn on ignition to let the oil pump run oil to the hub. all was grand for a few months r maybe 4 r5 days on the track. rattlin mad again now:mad::mad:. ive been told that this may be a sign of a weak oil pump even though the oil pressure is 100%..
shud i chance changin the vvt hub again n see how it goes???

was wonderin myself then d fact that ive a oil cooler and filter relocation kit would this be reducing the amount oil that can get up to that tiny pin hole on the vvt hub.???
note;; vvt hub or nvcs -nissan variable cam system, as sum people say...
help appreciated :):):)

nissan_doctor
14-07-09, 11:28
Its more likley that the second one you got has simply failed aswell. The nearly all go and not at any particular milage.

What oil are you using and how frequently do you change?

NIALL JZX
14-07-09, 11:41
yes maybe lad. sure as hell not goin buyin a new one sometin like 800 euro new???? i think.
just get another second hand one..
using 10w 60 castrol edge fully synthetic.. prob bit thin??? serviced after every 2 or 3 events.

nissan_doctor
14-07-09, 12:11
yes maybe lad. sure as hell not goin buyin a new one sometin like 800 euro new???? i think.
just get another second hand one..
using 10w 60 castrol edge fully synthetic.. prob bit thin??? serviced after every 2 or 3 events.

A fully synthetic 15w50 is better suitied to an sr used on track.

If it was a lack of oil pressure from the pump your top end would be getting very noisy as the tappids etc wouldn't be getting pressure either.

NIALL JZX
14-07-09, 17:09
tryed the solonied an thats perfect. whipped it out got 2 bits of wire an tipped it off the battery few times an it popped in an out so thats grand.. no blockage r anything either...

shud i put in a new vvt hub...??:confused:

mr.jailbait
14-07-09, 17:49
you have aftermarket cams?
if so,there lies your problem.

NIALL JZX
14-07-09, 21:29
you have aftermarket cams?
if so,there lies your problem.

yep i've got tomei cams...
y wud dat be the problem???
ya can still run vvt wit after market cams???..

or do ya mean cam wear r sumit??

mr.jailbait
14-07-09, 21:36
which tomei cams do you have.
cams of a certain lift or duration fuck the vtc unit mega quickly.
1000mls quickly.

NIALL JZX
14-07-09, 22:07
which tomei cams do you have.
cams of a certain lift or duration fuck the vtc unit mega quickly.
1000mls quickly.

tomei poncams in it

mr.jailbait
14-07-09, 22:32
have you upgraded valve springs?

NIALL JZX
14-07-09, 22:36
also the noise out of the engine is wicked loud. its like a grindin/loud tappin sound.. and its always like dat .. never goes out of it...

NIALL JZX
14-07-09, 22:38
have you upgraded valve springs?
dont no dey mite hav been done in japan. not sure

mr.jailbait
14-07-09, 23:14
you need stock springs,and cams with a duration of 256' or less for it to not fuck up.

NIALL JZX
14-07-09, 23:24
fair enuf. i see wat ya mean.
there a feckin disaster of a yoke neway they fuck up even if ya dont modifey r change cams etc...
cheers man..:)