PDA

View Full Version : Drift Car!!! What Do I Need???????

alan180sx
18-04-10, 23:58
Rite guys afta along debate with my brother an mates am turnin my baby into
a comp drift car an im wonderin wat do i need an wat do i change etc.............

i no the obvious cage an dat but suspension wise etc???

Currently my car ave 2 way, coilovers an plenty engine power

it mainly suspension wise advise im afta

cheers and thanks

PeterT
19-04-10, 00:01
You dont need anything. Drive the car and as you get to limits of certain parts, then upgrade them. People go out spending $$$$ on heap loads of parts, but if you cant drive to there limits, whats the feckin point?! Looooads of lads running minimal suspension upgrades and can keep up no problems.

Youl need battery cut off though, and fire extinguishers, also seat and harness.

insejn
19-04-10, 00:05
you need money.

but in all the fairness, you need big balls first ;D

alan180sx
19-04-10, 00:07
You dont need anything. Drive the car and as you get to limits of certain parts, then upgrade them. People go out spending $$$$ on heap loads of parts, but if you cant drive to there limits, whats the feckin point?! Looooads of lads running minimal suspension upgrades and can keep up no problems.

Youl need battery cut off though, and fire extinguishers, also seat and
harness.

cheers pete,

ave seat an harness sorted..................
wat you say makes so much sense, do you think extra lock an dat is a must even for starting out

alan180sx
19-04-10, 00:08
you need money.

but in all the fairness, you need big balls first ;D

money Sorted

Big Balls Sorted

PeterT
19-04-10, 00:11
if you get the washers and throw them in, that would do a beginner for sure. They cost like 2 euro and take maybe 30 mins to fit.

You can spent X amount of money on suspension arms, not need them, then have a turbo or whatever shit itself and have no money to fix it.

Drive it, max parts out, upgrade them! thats what i say.

200sx
19-04-10, 00:12
if ya have decent coilovers,a 2 way and plenty off power that will see you a long way..in this country anyway...in fact probly all the way if your drivieng abilitys are good...personal my self i think all these suspension mods ect are not an esesity for the facilities track wise we have in this country..them few basic things will see ya good...some extra lock aswell and your prity much mint 2 go!!!imo

alan180sx
19-04-10, 00:13
if ya have decent coilovers,a 2 way and plenty off power that will see you a long way..in this country anyway...in fact probly all the way if your drivieng abilitys are good...personal my self i think all these suspension mods ect are not an esesity for the facilities track wise we have in this country..them few basic things will see ya good...some extra lock aswell and your prity much mint 2 go!!!imo

cheers mate, must sort out extra lock so

Stevo
19-04-10, 08:29
You dont need steering mods or any fancy stuffs, cage kill switch harness towing eyes and ur gud to compete nearly..
If your only starting out drifting on track it will take a while before ur better than the car, when the car limits what you can do then change/upgrade bits

SUPER 180
19-04-10, 09:47
Petes on the ball here!
all you need really is a dood diff some powerz and the skill to use them...

i see lots of lads spending crazy $$$$ and goin into crazy detail wit every
little gaget they can get... but cant drive the car to save their life...
wats the point:confused:

ur car is perfect the way it is now lad, just go out and get as much seat time
as you can and the wen you get really good start thinkin about made suspension
set ups...

insejn
19-04-10, 09:57
money Sorted

Big Balls Sorted

good man :D

danmoorhead
19-04-10, 11:04

Youl need battery cut off though, and fire extinguishers, also seat and harness.

pete is bang on!!! a truer wordnever spoken!! you don't need to buy any washers!!!! get 6 one euro coins and knock out the centers!! take out ur tie rod and put em on the end!! you will find the euro coin is the exact size of the rack and fits perfect on the tie rod!!! 3 coins on each rod and lots of loctite

onevia
19-04-10, 11:06
i am only starting out have no steering mods have coilovers rear chamber arms i think bought the car the way it is havent changed anything yet still cant drive it properly just drive it and if something breaks change or if ya get good and ya think the car is holdig back upgrade but my car drives perfect if i could drive it ha ha

alan180sx
19-04-10, 15:58
You dont need steering mods or any fancy stuffs, cage kill switch harness towing eyes and ur gud to compete nearly..
If your only starting out drifting on track it will take a while before ur better than the car, when the car limits what you can do then change/upgrade bits

cheers lad am pity much sorted so jus get the few bits you ave listed

Petes on the ball here!
all you need really is a dood diff some powerz and the skill to use them...

i see lots of lads spending crazy $$$$ and goin into crazy detail wit every
little gaget they can get... but cant drive the car to save their life...
wats the point:confused:

ur car is perfect the way it is now lad, just go out and get as much seat time
as you can and the wen you get really good start thinkin about made suspension
set ups...

thanks for the advice mate

pete is bang on!!! a truer wordnever spoken!! you don't need to buy any washers!!!! get 6 one euro coins and knock out the centers!! take out ur tie rod and put em on the end!! you will find the euro coin is the exact size of the rack and fits perfect on the tie rod!!! 3 coins on each rod and lots of loctite

cheers dan goin to ave a go at that sat

Greg
19-04-10, 16:56
I'd love tp turn my car into a drift car. How hard is it to turn a car back into a road car after it's been stripped and a cage added?

Fredericks Balls
19-04-10, 17:13
Once you keep stuff you take out then it shouldnt be too hard i'd imagine... If you weld in the cage its not really gonna come out but a bolt in would be easier...

Unless im mistaken the only thing you cant really put back would be the sound deadening. Otherwise everything is replacable, and once the dash n stuff hasnt been cut to shit..

Greg
19-04-10, 17:16
Would it be much harder to sell my car if it was stripped though? I will be selling it at some stage this year. :)

Fredericks Balls
19-04-10, 17:33
Im the last person to ask, i couldnt sell a quarter pounder to an etheopian!!

But i'd imagine it would be more appealing if it was a pimp road car because you'd have a bigger market, unless it was an out and out monster specc'd drift car then your more likely to get a buyer, although they would probably want it for free.

But even if you were doing a drift day take out as many seats n shit as you could, maybe that would help a bit??

What are you gonna replace it with??

Greg
19-04-10, 17:54
Maybe i'll just leave it alone so and stick to the odd track day.

Will probably replace it with an n/a Supra for the track and something sensible for daily life.

Prodrifter86
19-04-10, 17:55
if you get the washers and throw them in, that would do a beginner for sure. They cost like 2 euro and take maybe 30 mins to fit.

You can spent X amount of money on suspension arms, not need them, then have a turbo or whatever shit itself and have no money to fix it.

Drive it, max parts out, upgrade them! thats what i say.

dead right lad! just get the basics go do some dori dori! and if you get better at it or more competitive then get more upgrades!!!!!!!

Fredericks Balls
19-04-10, 18:01
Maybe i'll just leave it alone so and stick to the odd track day.

Will probably replace it with an n/a Supra for the track and something sensible for daily life.

Do easy stuff. If your going to the track day on your own leave the passenger and rear seats at home. Im sure it would take long to take out, 15 minutes? Or even take them out in the pits. Take out the spare etc. Simple shit, might make a difference rather then modifying it in a way you cant reverese, especially if you plan to sell it...

tweek
19-04-10, 18:27
Why does everyone start stripping out their road cars and putting them on track when there is plenty of cheap track cars out their????
If you only doing trackdays you don't need to strip out the interior if you are doing prodrift you need to strip out everything including the roof lining which is gay if you want to use the car on the road condensation can be a bastard.
No need to strip out the sound deading either in all fairness what will you gain?? A tenth of a second i doubt that would benefit most lads on here best off with a good mapping session

retro head
19-04-10, 18:35
cheers lad am pity much sorted so jus get the few bits you ave listed

thanks for the advice mate

cheers dan goin to ave a go at that sat

thats a purrdy little car ye got there,u ok about drivin it on and givin a it few smacks?if your not ye might want to set her aside and get yourself a nice specced beater to start off in,much more relaxed and fun cos your not worried about minding the car therefore your drivin will be better

retro head
19-04-10, 18:37
Why does everyone start stripping out their road cars and putting them on track when there is plenty of cheap track cars out their????
If you only doing trackdays you don't need to strip out the interior if you are doing prodrift you need to strip out everything including the roof lining which is gay if you want to use the car on the road condensation can be a bastard.
No need to strip out the sound deading either in all fairness what will you gain?? A tenth of a second i doubt that would benefit most lads on here best off with a good mapping session

a feck ye tweek!!you posted that as i was typin my reply!

its a good point your makin plenty of bargain track cars to be had,instead of usin your watery road car that no matter what anyone says here your still gonna end up spendin a bomb on over time to harden it up for the track,for a reasonably amount of money ye can get a trackcar with the good bits in it that you can start driftin and havin fun straight away

Fredericks Balls
19-04-10, 19:03

I totally agree, but when the guy hasnt the money for a track car, and in his case, and mine infact we have big fuck off busses then a bit of easily done weight loss will do no harm.

tweek
19-04-10, 19:35
I totally agree, but when the guy hasnt the money for a track car, and in his case, and mine infact we have big fuck off busses then a bit of easily done weight loss will do no harm.
Road noise after stripping out sound deading can be quiet loud on a road car 180s are quiet loud with sound deading still in

Fredericks Balls
19-04-10, 19:53
I didnt even mean to go as far as sound deadening removal. But yea I know what you mean...

Greg
19-04-10, 19:56
All I would be doing would be removing seats, door cards, and that. Nothing too extreme. I want a track car but I want a Chaser track car or failing that a Supra one. :-)

Fredericks Balls
19-04-10, 19:58
Yea, at least an hour of faffing about and you shed a bit of weight but its all FULLY replacable straight after. The best way to have a road car really...

tweek
19-04-10, 20:04
you want my gold twincam so you can hand some supras their asses ;-) eh greg

way2fastforu
19-04-10, 20:04
all you need is a big set balls an enuf power to maintain speed an angle wile your driftin:D

Fredericks Balls
19-04-10, 20:08
Im not really one to talk anyway ive never even done a handbrake turn never mind a burnout or a proper drift!

way2fastforu
19-04-10, 20:10
Im not really one to talk anyway ive never even done a handbrake turn never mind a burnout or a proper drift!

wat??:eek:how can you resist the urge to drift it wenever you drive it:confused:

Fredericks Balls
19-04-10, 20:15
Cos ive been a penis with it! There has been an excuse ever since i got it. :rolleyes: firstly it was bald tyres, wanting to give it a good service, not running right blah blah blah... I now have it fully properly serviced (engine box diff), 6 decent tyres and hopefully its running ok now when this is fitted.

Bear in mind i bought the car on April 11 2009, its only really seen 3 months of use...

way2fastforu
19-04-10, 20:16
ah thats pretty shit so if its only really got 3 months use....cars are head wreckin tryin to sort out probs

Fredericks Balls
19-04-10, 20:19
Yip they sure can be! I dont really mind, if i bought a ready built car, like lots of people id get bored after 6 months and want to sell it so apart from it being a pain in the hole breaking down im enjoying modifying it slowly!

way2fastforu
19-04-10, 20:23
ya prefer modify my cars as well wen i buy them least i know the spec on it.

Fredericks Balls
19-04-10, 20:29
Yea same here. Makes it more expensive though! Ah well she gets her nails done, i just bite mine and buy wheels instead :D

Greg
19-04-10, 20:32
you want my gold twincam so you can hand some supras their asses ;-) eh greg
I'd love a spin out of that thing. :D

Yea same here. Makes it more expensive though! Ah well she gets her nails done, i just bite mine and buy wheels instead :D
Thats a good way of looking at things. I'll remember that for the next time there is grumbling out of herself. :)

Whats the most basic stuff you'd need to do to get a Pro-drift spec car? Cage, seat, harness and cut offs? You're not allowed an interior at all are you?

Fredericks Balls
19-04-10, 20:35
Whats the most basic stuff you'd need to do to get a Pro-drift spec car? Cage, seat, harness and cut offs? You're not allowed an interior at all are you?

lol wasnt that answered about 4 pages ago :D

Greg
19-04-10, 20:38
lol wasnt that answered about 4 pages ago :D

Probably. :D I need lots of confirmation though cos i'm a dope. :p