PDA

View Full Version : Banger drifting

Administrator
05-07-09, 23:55
Just been looking over on DW about this new sort of drifting which is cropping up in the UK.. Whats your thoughts on it? Few pics to get the idea of what it's about. Do you think it could be the next thing over here?

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k182/Jon_minis/Untitled-11.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k182/Jon_minis/DSC_0186.jpg

Looks like fun but surely isn't doing the sport many favours with the general public.

twailbait
06-07-09, 00:00
Not going to help the sport at all!

Looks fun though, its my kinda racing!

Stevo
06-07-09, 00:07
No it wont do the sport any favours at all, just look how hard Wayne and the lads up at SWRC try to present drifting i.e no cars allowed without bumpers ect due to the banger racing image of nutts oval which is right beside the AMA practice area.....

BUT it looks like savage craic, id love a go at it:D

Nicky
06-07-09, 00:29
Definately not doing any of us any favours, but there's not much ya can do about it.

Drifting can be as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it, but with there being so many high powered cars on the scene and so much available to make a standard car "up to spec", folk feel the need to spend such vast amounts of money on their cars to compete or even just to look good on the track, which isn't needed and could be done without in my opinion.

At the end of the day, its no different to the Tramp Drifting, so not alot can be said..

Still, ya wont see it being run by the SWRC, thats for sure.. lol

Administrator
06-07-09, 00:32
Definately not doing any of us any favours, but there's not much ya can do about it.

Drifting can be as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it, but with there being so many high powered cars on the scene and so much available to make a standard car "up to spec", folk feel the need to spend such vast amounts of money on their cars to compete or even just to look good on the track, which isn't needed and could be done without in my opinion.

At the end of the day, its no different to the Tramp Drifting, so not alot can be said..

Still, ya wont see it being run by the SWRC, thats for sure.. lol

Had a feeling you'd be quick to post on this Nicky!

There's definite pros and very definite cons to it, would be interested to hear what everyone thinks on it

Nicky
06-07-09, 00:34
Had a feeling you'd be quick to post on this Nicky!

I dont know if thats a good thing or not..? :confused:

Im just 1 to air my opinions lad, be it what folk want to hear or not.. I dont believe in sugar coating the pill, cos at the end of the day its just as hard to swallow.

Each to their own though. My 200 would fit right in with them boys in its current state, but give me another couple months :D

bart
06-07-09, 01:01
its shit.. just keep bangers together. they just are mental cases:D
drifters think alot more of there cars and do the total opposite to those guys:cool:

Tekno Twinky
06-07-09, 01:40
Nah id rather keepin a shiter lookin cool and tyte! This craic here would have effects that of a carnival if you get my drift...Can we say "boss" ?

Romo
06-07-09, 07:59
is it just the same as driftin dar in that theres two cars out at a time or is it like banger racing where theres about 15 and sliding is just encouraged? basically so you win by being the first across the line or by how good you slide?

Davie
06-07-09, 08:26
im not one to knock a sport or hobby unless its cricket
but Banger drifting wouldnt harm the drifting scene that much cause anyone that knows anything about drifting would know it dosnt intale driving a smashed up wreak, although many members on trampdrift.co.uk respect there cars as we do

Chuck_g
06-07-09, 09:52
"Banger" drifting already exists over here lads and its serious fun!! Its more or less tramp drifting but with no care at all!! I did it in Donegal on rally weekend and do it every year! Had a granda this year and not only did i have loads of fun but learned how to get the rear clipping points as i didnt give a shit if i hit the barrier!!!

Its Fun Fun Fun>>>>>>>>>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13KRPZO_qT4

Dont mind the nice cars out there, its trampage :)

bart
06-07-09, 12:41
"Banger" drifting already exists over here lads and its serious fun!! Its more or less tramp drifting but with no care at all!! I did it in Donegal on rally weekend and do it every year! Had a granda this year and not only did i have loads of fun but learned how to get the rear clipping points as i didnt give a shit if i hit the barrier!!!

Its Fun Fun Fun>>>>>>>>>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13KRPZO_qT4

Dont mind the nice cars out there, its trampage :)

the evo in that video looks fair familiar:D:D

EvojeepGal
08-07-09, 19:15
First off i was at this event and had tears from laughing so much, would gladly give up another sat nite to go to another one, even got a few laps in an old E30, Rosegreen needs this!

idrifters think alot more of there cars and do the total opposite to those guys:cool:

"Those guys" were 80% BDC pro drivers!! All letting the hair down in shit boxes they didnt give a crap about for the night.

is it just the same as driftin dar in that theres two cars out at a time or is it like banger racing where theres about 15 and sliding is just encouraged? basically so you win by being the first across the line or by how good you slide?

Its a proper run Drift event, well in the sense that the scoring is the very same as if it were a proper event, with a proper judge etc. There was 5hours of open track time with 6-8cars on track at once for times sessions (5mins i think) and then 16were pulled together for battles.

Check some pics here, camera died so missed loads but u get the jist of the fun:D
http://www.facebook.com/EvojeepGal?ref=profile&__a=1#/album.php?aid=90781&id=559314396&ref=mf

Administrator
08-07-09, 19:17
Does anyone think this type of thing could be a hit if someone ran an event down the country?

EvojeepGal
08-07-09, 19:30
Dunno, you'd need a track that'd be seriously open to the idea. Essex has an old tanker that they fill with water to wet down the track cause its all under powered rwd's, was very rough friendly and willing to help.

Would defo be a good idea here but may get ppl wit hgood cars attending which wouldn't go down well among drivers if it got hit by a shitter, it'd have to be strictly for cars under €300 ish for the sake of it being a laugh and not turn into a chav fest

Administrator
08-07-09, 19:52

Would defo be a good idea here but may get ppl wit hgood cars attending which wouldn't go down well among drivers if it got hit by a shitter, it'd have to be strictly for cars under €300 ish for the sake of it being a laugh and not turn into a chav fest

Yeah for sure. Maybe food for thought

s13-ste
08-07-09, 20:29
i dont see how it could be bad for drifting if it was kept away from big tracks.
as dani said keep it low budget and it could work

mick
08-07-09, 21:20
i think itd be class! great sterting place as you can pick up a banger for peanuts and smash it up without caring, i dont like the way everything recently seems to have gone all proper and everything has to be shiny, it dosent give those of us on a tighter budget a chance to get goin! its nearly a requirement these days to have freshly painted fibreglass all over your car to be aloud out on track! and its called banger drifting, so obviously ppl will recognise its for bangers, like banger racing dosent give normal racing a bad name...... having said that though, it will mean less and less future classics on the road! think how many 'scorts, mantas, capris etc have got smashed up over the years in banger racing!!

Jay Rockett
09-07-09, 12:23
Ye as mick said it would be great for people to start with, as every beginer is on a budget!

And it would be savage craic, no doubt everyone would give it ago just to come home laughing after a great day!

And successfull people could then progress to the drift scene from it!

Livewire 78
09-07-09, 12:38
:)
ive done this before!

lol
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u315/livewire78/270506710a6912224243o.jpg