PDA

View Full Version : Give us your Hints & Tips

rancido64
12-05-09, 09:38
I'm new to drifting, and yas don't have a thread like this up yet since the re-opening at least, so throw up any tips yas might have on techniques and whatnot here to help us poor newbies :D

Administrator
12-05-09, 11:10
It's aaaaaaaall about the car and how it's set up really!

rancido64
12-05-09, 11:20
lolz standard 2ltr 16v omega with a welded diff... starting cheap & simple so it doesn't matter if i get a bash or ten

Administrator
12-05-09, 11:33
lolz standard 2ltr 16v omega with a welded diff... starting cheap & simple so it doesn't matter if i get a bash or ten

Just throoow it into the corners I'd say and hope for the best! :D

You done much stripping out or anything? Throw up a few pics of it somewhere.

Jay Rockett
12-05-09, 12:19
Wait for a wet day, thats the easiest to learn.. and use your handbrake to initiate. Then just progress from there!

You'll learn alot quicker from driving on track too so make sure ya keep an eye out for the practice days! They'll be posted up here...
www.driftireland.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

s13-ste
12-05-09, 13:15
we did have thread with tips, pics and vids. cant find the pics now tho il dig up the vids in a few

s13-ste
12-05-09, 13:17
Techniques
The 180 and 90 degree turns show the importance of steering control. The most important lesson is that your wheels always have to point your front wheels in the direction you want to go.

Note: Although Tsuchiya mentions the need for a Limited-Slip Differential for the following steps, it is not required. The LSD unit facilitates the drifting a lot at an early stage and at higher levels of drifting, however I feel that it is essential to learn the very basics in stock conditions so you can get a better understanding of the car behavior.

The 360 degree turn is basically doing donuts. The main idea that I’d like to point out is that if you focus on his steering work, the wheels are always pointing straight or outwards (counter-steering). Many times you see others performing donuts by just turning in and pressing the gas. That’s not drifting. Watch closely to learn.

Tsuchiya also practices drifting with the use of the emergency brake. Using the e-brake is a great tool to break the rear end loose, but it is not an on-off switch: there is a certain amount to hold the e-brake up. By using your steering practice from the previous instructions (keeping the wheels always pointing the direction you want to go), you can determine how much e-brake is needed to slide the rear end loose to complete the turn.

Maintenance
For those who are scared with the tire costs, have no fear: the tires you use in the rear can be bought at the local junkyards. They are much cheaper and will grip less (which will give you more sliding action). As you get better, you will want to start using better grip tires. When you are sliding, your car is always heading in the direction your front tires will be pointing to, so it’s important to make sure you have good grip tires in the front at all times to make sure the car follows the line you are driving.

Note: Maintenance is much more important than upgrades. If you are drifting a car that is more than 10 years old, the rubber suspension components such as bushings start to break apart, making the car handle a lot worse. Many times you think by buying suspension upgrades you will fix that, but if you buy shocks and springs, you are still not replacing the bushings. Maintenance is key to have a good, fun, drift car.

Most importantly, whenever possible, practice at a drift track. It is legal and a much safer environment keeping you safe and sparing your car from any serious damage.

Above all, practice and have fun. That’s what drifting is all about!!

s13-ste
12-05-09, 13:21
at this point id like to add you can read all you want, watch all the vids on earth but NOTHING is like the feeling of the back of the car stepping out and your arms going all monkey like trying to catch it and keep the drift going

Administrator
12-05-09, 13:21
Amen to that Ste! Thats a good start but really and truly your better off heading out and seeing what works best for you.

serious tom
12-05-09, 21:14
any one watch the drift bible,
when keiiichi is talking about maintenance of the e-brake, he says
" its not a train for crying out loud"
that was an LOL moment

mick
12-05-09, 21:46
drop it on its ass! and stick a strap or chain round your rear lower wishbones and anchor it to the chassis to minimise roll! works a dream!

PeterT
12-05-09, 21:54
drive round a corner, turn sharply into the apex and kick the clutch while flooring it, the rest will follow once you have seat time!

rancido64
12-05-09, 21:56
Just throoow it into the corners I'd say and hope for the best! :D

You done much stripping out or anything? Throw up a few pics of it somewhere.

haha that's the tactic i use at present, yes :D

No stripping or anything no, it's a daily driver and has to ferry the wife and kids around too so i have to keep all the seats in tact ;)
I'll stick up pics in a bit

Chuck_g
12-05-09, 21:57
My advice would be to invest in a good hydro wand......the standard omega handbrakes are complete poo!!! Also a big set of balls are good for low power sliding, just flat out into a corner flick her one way then the other(while dipping the clutch) come off the gas :) and wen its just right plant the shoe again and on u go!! Practice makes perfect at the end of the day and power is so much easier to drift with but if u learn it small power tramps and move up to a few horseys ul be the berries at it!!

rancido64
12-05-09, 22:03
My advice would be to invest in a good hydro wand......the standard omega handbrakes are complete poo!!! Also a big set of balls are good for low power sliding, just flat out into a corner flick her one way then the other(while dipping the clutch) come off the gas :) and wen its just right plant the shoe again and on u go!! Practice makes perfect at the end of the day and power is so much easier to drift with but if u learn it small power tramps and move up to a few horseys ul be the berries at it!!

Cheers dude :) any ideas where could i pick up a hydraulic one?

yowdy
12-05-09, 23:00
my advice would be that everybody has different styles,practice is the key,,

Jay Rockett
12-05-09, 23:09
Cheers dude :) any ideas where could i pick up a hydraulic one?

Team Recession Busters->www.driftireland.com/showthread.php?t=14

Murray Motorsport if your near dublin- www.murraymotorsport.ie/shop/index.php?cPath=1_106_113&osCsid=961278430f20ea7e20e5dbb0f55dc79e

Driftworks->www.driftworks.com/catalog/products/driftworks-hydraulic-handbrake-normal-or-upright.html

bart
12-05-09, 23:14

i'd try these 1st.. 150 euro:eek:

Barry
12-05-09, 23:15
E650 for a hydro wand, OMFG

http://www.murraymotorsport.ie/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_106_113&products_id=830&osCsid=961278430f20ea7e20e5dbb0f55dc79e

s13-ste
12-05-09, 23:18
haha hydro wand in the ah mega would be fooking gas

yowdy
12-05-09, 23:18
yep have one man,ring me n 086 3739077

rancido64
12-05-09, 23:41

Murray Motorsport if your near dublin- www.murraymotorsport.ie/shop/index.php?cPath=1_106_113&osCsid=961278430f20ea7e20e5dbb0f55dc79e

Driftworks->www.driftworks.com/catalog/products/driftworks-hydraulic-handbrake-normal-or-upright.html

cheers for the info :)

my advice would be that everybody has different styles,practice is the key,,

thanks, i'm practicing, still not very good though lol

E650 for a hydro wand, OMFG

http://www.murraymotorsport.ie/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_106_113&products_id=830&osCsid=961278430f20ea7e20e5dbb0f55dc79e

haha i will NOT be spending that much on my tramp :eek: it's almost the price of the car itself lol

Barry
13-05-09, 00:01
Haha i know lad i never seen a hydro wand that expensive before

yowdy
13-05-09, 12:39
Haha i know lad i never seen a hydro wand that expensive before

i have one there 180 quid

serious tom
14-05-09, 15:00
(from what i have seen and read)

from the basics like the e-brake peoples techniques / styles / and way they use it changes.
and from there people drive the way they feel is right and what ever works for them

and from what everone else is saying it must be this thing called seat time :/
:D

Stevo
14-05-09, 15:08
Well when i get the poxy car to work ill be just going pure Balls out and hope for the best:) Whatever happens after that will be Epic one way or the other!!:)

serious tom
14-05-09, 20:09
it bloddy well better be Stevo :D epic "revving/ rakin the shote outa her" LOL

Davie
14-05-09, 20:10
i used to just use the auld clutch kick method but the handbrake does the job lovely,it takes balls to lift the stick the first time but leave's things alot lighter on the transmission,driftworks hydro stick-best mod iv made so far,oh and nappies are essential when starting if you have good seats

Fearghal Murphy
16-05-09, 00:46
I'm new to drifting, and yas don't have a thread like this up yet since the re-opening at least, so throw up any tips yas might have on techniques and whatnot here to help us poor newbies :D

Dont leave a loose head-unit in !! Cus itl fling out onto your lap/face while shlidin !! That happened to me first time round ! Hahah !! Disaster !! Im not makin excuses though for how unbelievabley shockin i was hah!! Gluck man !!