PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding brakes

Frankae86
23-06-09, 19:48
Want to know what the RIGHT way to bleed the brakes in a car with hydro h.brake, people have different ways of doing it.

Do you start from the front and then bleed the rears with the handbrake pulled back and just use the brake pedal to actually bleed the fluid.

I saw a lad bleedin Colfers rears and he wasnt touching the handbrake at all??

If you do it that way will you have good pressure in the handbrake when finished?

Ive all the fluid out of my car at the moment and in the next couple of days ill be filing the system, what fluid is best to use Castrol response or that mintex stuff?

pt_y2k
23-06-09, 23:36
x feckin 2!!!

s13-ste
23-06-09, 23:41
if the hydro wand is using a different set of pads(like alot of people do) it will have to be bled too.
start at the back because it further away for the servo.

Frankae86
24-06-09, 07:38
What do u mean using a different set of pads?, the handbrake and the foot brake in back are both using the brake pads ie not the shoes, and they are comp brake pads :confused:

s13-ste
24-06-09, 10:43
iv seen people hook up a second set of pads for the hydro.

id say when you saw that lad doing colfers breaks the hydro wand was already bled. that why he didn't touch it.
have a look on DW there are a silly amount of threads about it

Frankae86
24-06-09, 22:07
I may look on DW so lad cheers, see if i can work it out.
Just after coming back from mike deane's there and never thought of asking him :o

colm
24-06-09, 23:27
iv seen people hook up a second set of pads for the hydro.

id say when you saw that lad doing colfers breaks the hydro wand was already bled. that why he didn't touch it.
have a look on DW there are a silly amount of threads about it

is that running dual calipers on each side or how is it done?

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/technical/80820-correct-method-bleed-brakes-hydro-handbrakes-courtesy-mjg.html

link to driftworks how to

pt_y2k
25-06-09, 12:47
///\\\ thats the berries...:D:D:D

Frankae86
25-06-09, 17:45
My handbrake must be plumbed wrong so i must check tomorrow,
When i pump the footbrake and keep it down the handbrake it solid from what i can remember, its only when i leave pressure off the footbrake i can use the handbrake.

alan sinnott
25-06-09, 22:57
start at the back left and work ur way all round dont tuch the hand brake just bleed as normal.

Frankae86
25-06-09, 23:11
Thats the way ill go Alan, if it works for you cant be too bad ;)

Jay Rockett
28-06-09, 21:29
As Alan said, start at the back and work your way to the front, start furthest from the master cylinder..

The hydro handbrake is plumbed inline with the original brake lines so when you press your break pedal your pressurising the brake system and pulling the hyd handbrake will be like trying to pressurise the system even more so, which isnt easy!

When looking at the handbrake cylinder, the brake line going into the cylinder nearest the pushrod end should be going towards the back brakes and the other pipe coming from the master cylinder should be going into the back of the handbrake cylinder, the closed end!

Frankae86
28-06-09, 21:35
Yep its plumbed right alrite Jay, Bled it there this evening but didnt drive it yet so wont know exactly how good or bad it is though. There is a good bit of travel before i have pressure, it was always that way though.
As long as she locks up the rears ill be happy!

Jay Rockett
28-06-09, 22:45
Ha, exactly!

But yeah there usually is a bit of travel before you've pressure but you should be able to adjust the position of the pushrod to help this although be careful to leave enough room to allow the pressure to decrease when your letting go of the lever!

Frankae86
28-06-09, 22:49
I know what your saying ya my lever is "coming off" to the last,
Dont think adjusting the bar will do anything for me.

My boss has a willwood hydro in his MK1 and it locks solid after about 1/2 an inch!
Mine is more like a brake pedal you can feel the pressure, Ah ill know soon enough how it works, should be fine.