PDA

View Full Version : Declaring an engine swap

LarZ
12-05-14, 21:53
I'm going to swap my s13 silvia from an n/a sr20 to a 2jz at some stage over the coming 2 years.

Has anyone experience in doing this. I really only want people answering who have actually done this (or 100% know the answer) to avoid this turning into a "why?" or "leave it n/a" thread.

I want it to be 3.0 on the tax book. I'm presuming that the insurance side of things is easy as you just tell them the CCs and modifications.

murray sr22
12-05-14, 22:06
I think actually fitting the engine in place and plumbing it all up is the hardest as ya can buy full looms and mounts from America now for them don't ask me the website but found it ages ago when I was going to do it

LarZ
12-05-14, 22:18
I think actually fitting the engine in place and plumbing it all up is the hardest as ya can buy full looms and mounts from America now for them don't ask me the website but found it ages ago when I was going to do it

Let's assume for now that the conversion is spot on.

I know i need a SIMI engineer's report, but does the garage who performs the conversion have to do anything in particular other than performing the work. i.e. paperwork or regulations.

Also, the new engine will have far less kms. does my mileage on the clock need to stay the same? I'll most likely be changing clocks too

Darren
12-05-14, 22:44
i know you said you didnt want this to turn into a "why" thread but why volunteer to pay the ripoff tax rate for a 2.5?

PeterT
12-05-14, 22:57
insurance is going to be tricky as fuck.

niall s14a
12-05-14, 23:31
For what it's going to cost you, you'd build a bullet proof sr20 and just declare whatever mods you want to after that. I think people have got a bit carried away with the whole 1j/2j thing. If you have the money to spend on it, spend it on the engine a rb25 box. You don't need a 2j unless your going for silly power that your gonna be bouncing off the limiter non-stop. In fact, what you'd do the complete 2j engine, loom,box and prop swap for, you'd build a serious sr for half the price and far less hassle. That's my opinion anyway

JDMep82
13-05-14, 01:22
You realise 2jz is 3.0 not 2.5?
1jz are 2.5
Mileage should not be changed to match engine. Mileage should read what ever the car has done regardless of the engine swap.
A garage to give you a simi engineers report doesn't have to have done any of the work to it. You could do all the work yourself and get a engineers report pretty easy once done right and not a butcher job
Go do it. 1jz or 2jz way more reliable then any Sr. You can put massive money into an Sr and you still won't make near what a 2j will
Crazy dear for a 1or2j and gearboxes are mad expensive. Conversion will no doubt cost a lot of money but worth it if you plan on keeping the car

alan opel
13-05-14, 13:50
I done it before I changed my nova from 1.2 to 2 litre it was simple , didn't have to change mileage or get it inspected or anything , just get a garage to stamp the change of particulars, an go into tax office , an pay for three months tax on the spot , if u don't they send it to Shannon and they will come back looking for an engineers report, you can say goodbye to ever insuring it tho, I never could , only under a trade policy maybe

decobyrne106
13-05-14, 17:44
Its never going to be a walk in the park at all. No matter how much paperwork and declaring your going to have a nightmare because Ireland is shit that way. Not like England with lads going around with race cars on the road. Everyone saying oh build an sr and blah blah, if thats not what he wants to modify on his car he's not going to do it, im sure laurence has figured out himself its not going to be a cheap conversion so let him do it, but thats not what he's asking his opinion on in this thread. Stay on topic a bit.

Sir Diffsalot
13-05-14, 20:05
Ive just done it at the start of the month, i put a 1j in my skyline. Its very straight forward, no need for engineers report or simi garage stamp. Just fill out change of particulars form and get it stamped by any garage, then go to tax office with log book and tax it for three months and they'll send the log book to shannon for ya, i've gotton new log book out all ready with 1j on it. I went for nct yesterday too and they didnt bat an eye lid, he did comment that it was a nice choice on engine so he knew what it was. Insurance wise it could be a different story, luckly ive a trade policy so didnt bother me

LarZ
14-05-14, 18:44
Ive just done it at the start of the month, i put a 1j in my skyline. Its very straight forward, no need for engineers report or simi garage stamp. Just fill out change of particulars form and get it stamped by any garage, then go to tax office with log book and tax it for three months and they'll send the log book to shannon for ya, i've gotton new log book out all ready with 1j on it. I went for nct yesterday too and they didnt bat an eye lid, he did comment that it was a nice choice on engine so he knew what it was. Insurance wise it could be a different story, luckly ive a trade policy so didnt bother me

This is what i wanted. thanks man.

Sorry bout the typo (2.5), have been thinking about this for ages and was originally only getting a 1j. But want to do a 2j conversion and want to do it right. For the simple fact that if something was to happen insurance-wise, I wouldn't want them to have any reason not to honour my insurance.

3.0 tax sucks balls, yeah. But in all honesty if i was to have an accident they'd clearly see it's not a 2 litre non turbo.

Maurice.
14-05-14, 19:13
Insurance won't be an issue. Simply get a classic insurance policy from AXA. You won't be daily driving this when you finish it so you will have a daily car with a normal policy on it. I have my ae86 insured with them with an engine conversion and massively reworked suspension roll cage etc. I have every single change/modification however small or big declared on my policy for a fiXed agreed value of the car, for just 270 euro a year. The only requirements to get a policy is that you have to have your own private car or commercial vehicle policy it doesn't have to be with AXA, the car must be over 20 years old and you have to be over 25 years of age

alan opel
14-05-14, 22:25
Dude the insurance will walk away from ya for having a set of non standard alloys long before they even open the Bonnet !

LarZ
15-05-14, 07:59
Dude the insurance will walk away from ya for having a set of non standard alloys long before they even open the Bonnet !

That's why you declare your modifications