PDA

View Full Version : Tuning A CA18DET

Death Magnetic
18-06-09, 10:13
I know ste is talking about a stage 2 tune, But what are the basic tuning modifications that can be done.
Correct if i'm wrong

A FMIC,
3" turbo back exhaust,
Boost turned up to 0.1
Chip the ECU.

above is what i've found online, Can someone confirm these.
Is there any other tuning routes to take with the CA, what else can be done??

nissan_doctor
18-06-09, 11:27
Turned up by 0.1 not too 0.1;)

Full mappable ucu's are much better then 'chipped' ones.

Also an uprated fuel pump is always a first start for any 15-20odd year old nissan.

And besides all of that, a full service, fluid change, t-beld and tensioners as well as compression check, leakdown test, cooling system pressure test and general full engine check is the first thing to do before you start putting money into tuning.

Death Magnetic
18-06-09, 11:38
Yeah i read about the pump upgrades alright.
Will a new standard pump do?? or one of the r32 ones??
Is there much point in forking out for a skyline one if i'm only going for the basic tune up.
How much are pumps anyways??
do you have to go to nissan to get one??

nissan_doctor
18-06-09, 11:43
Walboro/fse pumps are the most popular here by far and are also far cheaper then new factory pumps.
€90-120 depending on where you get them.
As with everything, the uk is the cheapest place to get stuff.

Death Magnetic
18-06-09, 12:13
Right so. And what exactly should i be looking for, What is Pump rating of a standard CA

nissan_doctor
18-06-09, 13:26
Right so. And what exactly should i be looking for, What is Pump rating of a standard CA

The walboro pumps are all rated a 255lph(litres per hour) which is an upgrade for all s bodies and skylines.

mick-skyline
18-06-09, 17:47
oil cooler for sure on a CA18 man, go to temple tuning in the UK for the fuel pump too your looking at about 75 squid for it from them, cheapest about.

tuning wise, fuel pump, exhaust from the turbo back, FMIC, apexi power intake (said to be the best for nissan engines), mapable ECU as stated, boost controller, and dont forget the oil cooler on teh CA18 its a MUST for that engine or itll just say bye bye to ya, then you can go further and further if you want. ;)

Death Magnetic
18-06-09, 19:06
Sweet advice lads.
the CA18DET was putting out 170bhp when first off the production line, And they say a car losses 3bhp a year, so thats at least 35-40 horsies gone missing.
So i am just looking to revive the beast a bit, for the minute.
Where does the oil cooler pipes attach on to???
where can i pick up one of those plates that goes between the oil filter and block and has the attachments for an oil pressure gauge.

conorosr20
18-06-09, 21:34
Cheap power upgrades-adjustable actuator,fmic,fuel pressure reg,and uprated fuel pump.

Frankae86
18-06-09, 21:36
You just asked a question and answered it aswell :)

s13-ste
19-06-09, 12:58
kev the lads have pretty much summed it up for a budget build.
baffeled sump is high on the list too. the CAis a pox for the bottom end so a few quid spent on the sump could save you alot of hear ache

mick-skyline
21-06-09, 02:23
Where does the oil cooler pipes attach on to???
where can i pick up one of those plates that goes between the oil filter and block and has the attachments for an oil pressure gauge.

that plate is called a sandwich plate, and if you get the right oil cooler itll come with one which will also have a tapped hole for your sensors