PDA

View Full Version : Bride replica failures?

LarZ
24-07-13, 08:58
We all know that replicas don't carry safety certification, but I'm finding it hard to find any failure incidents on google which involve replica bride seats.

I'm sure 100s of those seats are bought on ebay every week.

I want a pair of brides, but not if they're gonna cost as much as my car. Question is, is the financial saving worth potentially injuring yourself in a crash. Just because they're not certified doesn't mean they're not safe, but it does mean that for some reason the manufacturer didn't bother to get them certified. To be honest, it never occurred to me to check for safety certification before i heard people talking about brides in particular. I don't check the tyres I buy either, or anything really. You just assume.

Have any of you experienced failure of these seats? I know they aren't as comfy and I know they're not as durable, but are they that much less safe?

RobbyS13
24-07-13, 10:32
Friend of mine bought the bride brix from redpower for his DC2 and to be honest they were quite good. No play in the recliner part of the seat and the quality of the material was quite good too.
Unfortunately he was in a crash a couple of months after. He got side swept from the passo side and all the seats were fine the only thing that was damaged and bent was the rail. I have pics of the crash and of the seats before and after when I get home ill post them up for you.
Personally I would prefer real brides but why spend all that money on them when you could buy either replicas or a set of genuine recaros. I would have no problem buying replica brides once there a very good replica really. If you have a look at a genuine bride crash test there is fuck all in the difference.

ali-d1936
24-07-13, 11:05
i have fake brides and the quality of the fiberglass is top notch!! i had eastbear seats also and they where fiberglass and they where sound also, i wouldnt worry about being in a crash with them, the issue is that they are fiberglass backed not ideal for a seat but many seats are. i wouldnt track with them TBH but id drive no worries on the road with them

paddyb01
24-07-13, 11:32
i have fake brides and the quality of the fiberglass is top notch!! i had eastbear seats also and they where fiberglass and they where sound also, i wouldnt worry about being in a crash with them, the issue is that they are fiberglass backed not ideal for a seat but many seats are. i wouldnt track with them TBH but id drive no worries on the road with them

Are yours fixed back in the 15?

jdmjimmy
24-07-13, 22:52
The first failure is considering buying knock off anything

Damien
24-07-13, 22:55
Nobody plans on crashing, and while people say its for the road not track, but if you get somebody run into the back of your car it's your back that will feel it.
I'd rather pay a bit more or not have them at all than live with a crippled back if something happened.

nikkisixx69
24-07-13, 23:09
arent the older genuine brides ment to be shit in a crash too lol

but yeah, i wouldnt be buying a replica, noone gets into their car planing to crash their car that day, the whole goal of driving is to not crash lol

jdmjimmy
24-07-13, 23:14
all old seats in general are probably dung in a crash

Darenm
24-07-13, 23:19
The first failure is considering buying knock off anything

Couldn't agree more

haydomiata
25-07-13, 00:11
There's videos on the youpube of the old brides and recaros crash tested the brides fall right back with hit from behind I wouldn't be to worried about the replicas myself

LarZ
25-07-13, 07:33
I'm not a fan of buying knock off gear but 3k for a pair of seats is a bit steep when you can get a pair of knock offs for 1k, which is still a hell of a lot of cash.

I think it's easy to get on your high horse here and say bad things about these seats, but I'm more interested in physical proof. I know they're less comfy, i know they wear faster, but is the structure so significantly different to a standard 'safe' seat as to render it unsafe?

dil
25-07-13, 08:12
I've had both a rep bride and a real bride in my car, the real bride was definitely a more snug secure fit but the rep was by no means uncomfortable either, as far as safety I have no idea!!

marksull
25-07-13, 14:52
i've had both knock offs and genuine seats in my cars and to be honest i couldnt justify the extra couple of thousand for a genuine. i'd rather buy a second car with the difference in price. if you do want genuine tho dave in jap performance is about the same price for a used genuine rather than buying a new replica.
As regarding a crash situation, if your travelling fast enough or get hit hard enough to make shit of a seat, i dont think it really matters how much u payed for it! same results in the end!

-BigDave-
25-07-13, 15:46
Get Recaros they're seriously comfortable and the same cost as a rip off bride. I can never understand the price of Bride seats.

doug
25-07-13, 16:35
ive often taught about the same thing with the fixed seats, ive a real bride zeta 3 and dont fancy paying hige money for a passanger one, was thinking of a rep.
but as said if i could find recaros that would fit a sbody id buy them!

ali-d1936
26-07-13, 11:14
Are yours fixed back in the 15?

na man reclineable.

JohnRaff
26-07-13, 11:33
Thought about buying fake ones loads of times, the ones red power motorsport have look quite good in fairness, the Kevlar ones in particular look really cool....
To be honest the only issue i have is myself knowing that they are "Fake" and that would annoy me everyday so i opted against it...
Have seen a couple of "Fake Cars" if you get me with them and they just annoy me a little now...
Like a glansa with te37 reps, bad sunstrip covering half the windscreen, vertical tax disk holders, JDM as Fuck stickers and general jap fakeness then a pair of Low Max carbon seats... Its just not right in my opinion....

JohnRaff
26-07-13, 11:33
*Glanza

DaveM-sport
26-07-13, 11:40
As regarding a crash situation, if your travelling fast enough or get hit hard enough to make shit of a seat, i dont think it really matters how much u payed for it! same results in the end!

Haha, I'd be thinking the same! :)

Unless they are complete paper altogether, I reckon you'd have plenty other things to worry about if you had an accident bad enough to break a seat.

There is some really shite seats on the market though that crack if you look at them crooked but they are extremely cheap too so you pay for what you get.

If your paying a 1000 euro for a pair of seats even if try are reps, I'd imagine they would still be of some sort of relatively decent quality

LarZ
26-07-13, 11:46
Thought about buying fake ones loads of times, the ones red power motorsport have look quite good in fairness, the Kevlar ones in particular look really cool....
To be honest the only issue i have is myself knowing that they are "Fake" and that would annoy me everyday so i opted against it...
Have seen a couple of "Fake Cars" if you get me with them and they just annoy me a little now...
Like a glansa with te37 reps, bad sunstrip covering half the windscreen, vertical tax disk holders, JDM as Fuck stickers and general jap fakeness then a pair of Low Max carbon seats... Its just not right in my opinion....

Well to be fair, glanza's have a right to the road too. They're not my cup of tea but that's a different topic altogether. They're still real cars.

I can see how someone who has splashed 3k on seats would frown on fakes to be honest. I just don't really care bout their opinion lol. I do care about my safety though, that's why this is a hard decision. If the fakes were half the price of real ones, i'd consider splashing on new ones. but to be fair, we're talking about a quarter of the price and still paying upwards of €800. That's a lot of cash for seats.

DaveM-sport
26-07-13, 11:59
Do the fake ones come with warrantees?

Get one and when fitted before you take the plastic off, give it a good kick into the seatback... If it breaks, then send it back :D

If it doesn't, should be safe enough as any impact that puts more pressure on it will more than likely have you in bit no matter you were sitting in a 3K seat or a bar stool :D

pinny
26-07-13, 14:29

Sounds like a car redpower threw up on ! Lol !

I find this interesting about these seats to be honest, i tried to find some actual facts on them too a while back.
At the end of the day they are replicas, are not certed and are just another chinese rip off item so to me at 800 - 1000 euro a set they are over priced with easily hundreds of mark up per seat.

nikkisixx69
26-07-13, 14:55
for 1000 you would get 2 mint used brides, i dunno why you would bother with replicas at all when you can have the genuine article for the same money used

LarZ
26-07-13, 14:58
for 1000 you would get 2 mint used brides, i dunno why you would bother with replicas at all when you can have the genuine article for the same money used

In theory you can man, but where? I'm looking for 2x Low Max Gias or Stradia II and I can't find them for love nor money. Am i looking in the wrong places? :D

nikkisixx69
26-07-13, 15:00
In theory you can man, but where? I'm looking for 2x Low Max Gias or Stradia II and I can't find them for love nor money. Am i looking in the wrong places? :D

japanese performance?

doug
26-07-13, 15:50
if your interested id sell my zeta 3 glitter back!! with sbody rail

JohnRaff
26-07-13, 15:52
if your interested id sell my zeta 3 glitter back!! with sbody rail

pm me a price?

LarZ
26-07-13, 15:58
japanese performance?

as in https://www.facebook.com/JapanesePerformance? I don't see any mention of seats on their FB... They look like they could do with a decent website... ;)

haydomiata
26-07-13, 16:04
They have shelves full of brides u could ask for a discount to design there website :)

hi_im_fil
26-07-13, 16:18
Click on the seats section beside wheels and you'll see they've loads of seats for sale