View Full Version : E30 v10!

Famous jh
05-01-10, 18:16
WOW...Just wow :eek:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4515333

Aidan Hogan
05-01-10, 18:51
thats fucking crazy ..
ive been in an 06 m5 and fuck they're crazy fast,now to imagine the same engine in an e30 3 series=lighter=:eek::cool:

SR20Eric
05-01-10, 22:44
ha ha V10 in a box!!

But good lord that is some build!

skinny d
05-01-10, 22:54
Fucking impecable ! Something I'd love to aspire to some day when I'm minted like :P Do most of the work myself though .

Alan B.
05-01-10, 23:45
there was an e30 on piston heads before xmas that had a v12 put into it.
not as intensive a job as this has had now, with the custome subframes and integrated cage and reinforemenst in the sills etc. not nearly as advanced either i take it.
used an m70 5L v12 from a 750i and was a complete sleeper.
nothing about the look of the car gave it away at all.
i wanted that car bad but didnt have the cash at the time, and now it's been taken down.

Famous jh
05-01-10, 23:48
there was an e30 on piston heads before xmas that had a v12 put into it.
not as intensive a job as this has had now, with the custome subframes and integrated cage and reinforemenst in the sills etc. not nearly as advanced either i take it.
used an m70 5L v12 from a 750i and was a complete sleeper.
nothing about the look of the car gave it away at all.
i wanted that car bad but didnt have the cash at the time, and now it's been taken down.

Fairly extensive alfight :eek:

Only thing that bothers me is the handles cant be great...like an m70 in an E30 has to be hangin off the headlights?!

grex
05-01-10, 23:49
savage :eek:

Alan B.
05-01-10, 23:53
i've heard from 2 people who where doing v8 conversions, and they drop straight in, and they abandoned them after comming to the conclusion that they would handle like pigs.

and the e30 has one piece suspension/hub assemblies so are not as easy as just swapping out the coilovers on.
but in saying that, the above v10 has been completely reworked so it might have been improved.
i wasn't looking for the v12 for drifting mind you, i wanted it as a semi-daily sleeper.

Famous jh
05-01-10, 23:57
i've heard from 2 people who where doing v8 conversions, and they drop straight in, and they abandoned them after comming to the conclusion that they would handle like pigs.

and the e30 has one piece suspension/hub assemblies so are not as easy as just swapping out the coilovers on.
but in saying that, the above v10 has been completely reworked so it might have been improved.
i wasn't looking for the v12 for drifting mind you, i wanted it as a semi-daily sleeper.

Oh no 2 ways about it they'd make a savage street sleeper :cool:
E36 front suspension bolts straight in though does it not?! God im having dirty thoughts about engines for my E36 these days :cool:

Alan B.
06-01-10, 00:10
it goes in... doesnt "bolt straight in" though.
theres a fair bit needed and not all of it easy to come by aparently.
cant remember what exactly was the hard to find/expensive parts in doing it right now.

Arnie
06-01-10, 02:11

I don't think so, not according to THIS::eek::D
(estate is a V8, green one 3.5 inline-6)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHhji2lRa1Q

Oh, came across this twin turbo v12 e30 as well :D Looks shit but who cares when the fuel pump is louder than exhaust, must be some fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6UZ81c3MxI

Bubba
06-01-10, 02:24
Saw that on DW i think before, some unbelievable craftsmanship gone into that. the Hartge E90 v10 in the backround is a nice job too!

Alan B.
06-01-10, 02:41
only watched the first 2 mins of that video, and if anything, i'd say it shows it to be true.
all those cars look about as gracefull as a fat man on stilts.
they dont look like they handle well at all.
not to mention i was talking about converted e30's, that estate isnt an e30.

that said, i've no doubt they can be made handle well if you spend the money on them, as the second vid shows.
but the lads i heard from reckon it's not worth it, for the likes of a useable road/track car.

Arnie
06-01-10, 12:43
I wouldn't bother spending time/money on such project. Saw the photo of the donor M3 car and hmm (to me) it looked better than the final outcome which was sad waste of road going M3.

IMO v8 in an e30 or even 3.5 is more than enough to shift it. If somebody can't it means they are shit drivers. Those Polish guys certainly don't have money on suspension mods but I saw those cars on random vids and they aren't bad considering money spent on them.

Handling wise, do you guys remember moans about RB25det conversions in s-bodys? Anybody complaining still about weight distribution seeing drift cars doing well in this configuration:D.
IIRC Chevy LS2 V8 is even lighter than RB26dett (with turbos) but it's another story.

Why would somebody need so much power is another question. There is a power level in every car when it becomes unstable, undriveable and crap in real life. There is also driver's capabilites (physical) that limit how much power can be used.

Alan B.
06-01-10, 12:50
there not real life daily cars though so i dont think it matters.

i'm still not convinced about that vid of all the tramp looking bmw's.
to me they look dog rough in looks and handling.

podge
06-01-10, 13:34
awesome build reead it last nite iys like they fully redesigned a new car:)

kev.skyline
06-01-10, 14:41
it goes in... doesnt "bolt straight in" though.
theres a fair bit needed and not all of it easy to come by aparently.
cant remember what exactly was the hard to find/expensive parts in doing it right now.

list of stuff you need
E36 Front Struts/E36 coilovers/whichever you want (M3 struts have the arb mount on the strut though which is a nice addition)
E36 M3 EVO Front Hubs/Calipers/Discs
E36 M3 EVO Front Wishbones
E30 M3 Front Control Arm Bushes
E30 Springs
E30 M3 offset Top Mounts

If you want the E36 M3 Evo brakes on the front, you'll need a Z3m rear end to get the right brake bias.

even then i dont think the geometry is perfect.