PDA

View Full Version : Drift car build what/where to start with??

Maurice.
23-03-13, 21:05
Well folks some opinions and thoughts wanted really on what I should start off with when building a drift car. I have done a certain amount of sliding but I want to give it a proper go towards the end of this year and make a good go at idc 2014 amateur championship.

I will be doing all the work myself and I know full well what I am leaving myself in for in terms of the amount of work and money that will need to be spent to build a competitive car. I don't have a bottomless pit of money or anything but going on what I see other people spending on a competitive car then I will be able to match that easily enough.

I'm not under the illusion that i'm going to win anything but I just want to be competitive at what I do.

So what would people recommend in terms of chassis and power??
S or R body
Bmw??
Ae86??
Sr20, 1/2jz, v8 of some kind

Something completely random??

All help greatly appreciated folks.

conrod
23-03-13, 21:07
Not being smart but all depends on the budget

PeterT
23-03-13, 21:09
this has been done to death, and of course you can go and spend thousands on sometihng to give it 1billion powers and 1billion grips but if you spent a minimal amount on an s14 with seat, hydro, cage and safety equipment, coilovers, lock washers and a welder can be competitive in an amateur competition with no problems. That wont cost the world and the minimal build time and cost will allow you to get out and have fun and practice in the car. far too many people spend like 20g building a car and get to drive it for like 5 minutes a year. haha. im sure the usuals will come on and tell me im wrong though hah

Maurice.
23-03-13, 21:15
Not being smart but all depends on the budget

Fair point, Haven't really a figure sorted out in my head but i'll have no bother spending 7 to 8k. I know that isn't a massive amount but considering I'll be doing all the work myself from shell prep to engine building to wiring, anything really, I think it would be enough to build a competitive amateur class car, Maybe I'm totally wrong thats why I'm throwing it out here to get the opinion of people that have done it

decobyrne106
23-03-13, 21:22
all in all i love my s14 to bits but i'd love a 4 door e36 with m3 running gear just so it's simple and for an n/a engine they can shift like! if your wanting to go that route, spend the money obviously getting it logged for idc but make it as reliable as possible, as heat being a big downturn in the engines start there, and build something mad for pretty decent money

PeterT
23-03-13, 21:26
i'll have no bother spending 7 to 8k. I know that isn't a massive amount

bethelordjaysus you would easily buy a competitive build pro spec car for that, dont be daft!!:afro:

Maurice.
23-03-13, 21:36
bethelordjaysus you would easily buy a competitive build pro spec car for that, dont be daft!!:afro:

That may be what I will do when i'm in the position to buy:) But for now I'm just asking for opinions on what people would build to be competitive with the sort of 6k budget

conrod
24-03-13, 00:34
Had carpo not an s14 logged drift car forsale awhile back for around 7k had serious spec running around 350-400bhp

decobyrne106
24-03-13, 01:20
with a budget of 6-7k you could go buy a good car for that money.

sr 20 cam
24-03-13, 11:04
i have a well spec'd drift around your budget ready to go

chrisbrady325
24-03-13, 17:10
e36 3.2 evo 6 speed.. chipped brain, ebay coilovers, e46 wishbone arms, cage it, away you go!!

Serious job! 4 grand built easy!

Chuck_g
24-03-13, 19:28
Maurice me ol lad....you know the answer to these questions!! A good ol kettle!! As chris says, go for the evo lump, more than competitive imo, look at Paul Mac last year.

Buy one, build it, drive it!! Theres not much more to a good Bmw.

sccoupe
24-03-13, 19:30
I know a lad selling an m3:wink:....gimme a pm if interested be a good based to build from...

Paddy drifter
24-03-13, 19:40
bmw :D go for it

Chuck_g
24-03-13, 20:06
I know a lad selling an m3:wink:....gimme a pm if interested be a good based to build from...

Wont go far wrong with this one Maurice :)

m3con
24-03-13, 20:20
Go for an m3 you know it makes sense

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj541/continney/161B5534-023D-4C90-B4D0-1F6240A6FF36-14408-00000FD4E5D3498B.jpg

PeterT
25-03-13, 00:11
just to show what you could buy for your budget!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4302791

Maurice.
25-03-13, 08:08
Maurice me ol lad....you know the answer to these questions!! A good ol kettle!! As chris says, go for the evo lump, more than competitive imo, look at Paul Mac last year.

Buy one, build it, drive it!! Theres not much more to a good Bmw.

Well obviously your gonna tell me buy a bimmer!!ha On another why you no answer my telphonic communication i was trying to make with you saturday???

Hahaha I think I already tried buying it off ya shane! I'll give ya another twin cam for it!ha

just to show what you could buy for your budget!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4302791

Was looking at that to seems a lot of car for the money. Must sell my smelly twin cams first and get me some moneys for sliding:afro:

sccoupe
25-03-13, 19:58
Ha ha.. Worth a shot anyway... Tat 180 up the north is da car for you looks a serous machine.

DaveM-sport
25-03-13, 20:41
Just buy a good S-body ready to go and get yourself out on track.

If you want to build a car, its very hard to beat an E36 M3 for your budget. For 7-8K, you'd have a mental M3 while you might only be getting going into a decent engine build and things with an SR etc.

Good thing about the M3s too is that they might cost 4-5K to build a very competitive car initially and then won't cost you another 4-5K every year to keep them competitive :p

All depends what you want too. Some people seem to only like sliding S-bodies while others love the grip from the E36s

D.Daly
26-03-13, 23:46
I absolutely adore my s13s...but if I was to build a competitive car on a budget I'd be going for an m3. Hydro, cage, rack spacers, coilovers, manifold and light weight flywheel, also get an angle grinder to everything. Aluminium sheet over what you've cut and Bobs your uncle. Sick track slut!:afro:

pt_y2k
03-04-13, 14:27
What about the 2 cars hat are sitting in your shed?? Both well capable of competing in any comp you throw at them at there fuckin built!! finish them and stop being a clown,must i come home again to give ya a slap?

Smokey Bear
03-04-13, 17:24
What a ball bag, sure why don't ye just go slapping corollas off stuff if you have two of em? Fuckin mets lads these days havn't a clue between you and moynihan I don't know what to say!

Maurice.
03-04-13, 21:53
What about the 2 cars hat are sitting in your shed?? Both well capable of competing in any comp you throw at them at there fuckin built!! finish them and stop being a clown,must i come home again to give ya a slap?

You still haven't wired my car so yes, yes you do have to come home again and finish it for me please:kiss:

What a ball bag, sure why don't ye just go slapping corollas off stuff if you have two of em? Fuckin mets lads these days havn't a clue between you and moynihan I don't know what to say!

Just sell me your M3 please and thanking you Mr.Virgin :)

paddyps13
04-04-13, 20:54
m3 is the only way ta go:afro: