PDA

View Full Version : bimmer 318i 4 door drifter

matty
27-02-13, 16:15
hi all,well this is my first project,a bmw 318i. as im 16 i dont have much money or time for it but ill try my best. the plan is to get a 2.5 for it.all iv done so far is stripped out the inside so alot of work ahead. all help and advice greatly appreciated :D

sideways-theonlyway
27-02-13, 17:58
Best of luck with it, the angle grinder will be your new best friend :p

gpparts
27-02-13, 18:09
I am also new to drifting, I am building a bmw E46 323CI with 2.5 Engine in it. When i bought the car, i was pretty sure the 2.5 engine was big enough - It's nowhere close to engough. So my advice is,if ur planning on getting an engine for it, look for at least 2.8.

Also, get diff welded, small wheels, and go do some practice and see how you get on, then from that you will know what u need to do next ;)

matty
27-02-13, 19:05
Best of luck with it, the angle grinder will be your new best friend :p

haha ya seen all the bimmers at wgh the last day and the arse was cut out of e all :p

matty
27-02-13, 19:07
I am also new to drifting, I am building a bmw E46 323CI with 2.5 Engine in it. When i bought the car, i was pretty sure the 2.5 engine was big enough - It's nowhere close to engough. So my advice is,if ur planning on getting an engine for it, look for at least 2.8.

Also, get diff welded, small wheels, and go do some practice and see how you get on, then from that you will know what u need to do next

cheers lad big help ;) ill keep an eye out for the 2.8 so :)

Paddy drifter
27-02-13, 20:26
nah lad 2.5 in an e36 will be plenty for ya and a steel block will be better too

matty
27-02-13, 20:31
cant make up my mind now :p i can get a 2.5 handy enough so ill probably get that

Paddy drifter
27-02-13, 20:32
cant make up my mind now :p i can get a 2.5 handy enough so ill probably get that

2.5 stick with it and if shes a steel block she'll take abuse :P

D1SL
27-02-13, 20:33
2.5 is plenty of power man, have a 323 track car myself and theres more then enough power in it.

matty
27-02-13, 21:14
nice one lads :D the steel block is the older one isnt it? or am i wrong?

Paddy drifter
27-02-13, 21:33
yep it is ,i think they changed to alloy after 95/96 not too sure now

DaveM-sport
27-02-13, 21:45
2.5 is crap in the E46 as they are more grippy, heavier and engines are more restricted in most of them

2.5 or 2.8 if you get one cheap is plenty power in an E36 to start out with. Even if you cut pretty much everything bar the bare floorpan between the four wheels, a 318iS engine wouldn't be that bad with short gearing and small wheels.

matty
27-02-13, 22:01
thanks davem sport i have small wheels and was gonna use them as skid wheels anyways.i can get a 2.5 so she should do the job nicely :D think ill need to get a few angle grinder disks so :cool:

gpparts
27-02-13, 23:42
In my opinion, if youre up for a big job like changing the engine, and haven't bought one yet,then why not to look arround for a bigger one? from my own experience and my friends, 2.8 is much better, it has more trottle response, more torque, and also it has upgraded air intake. Some of these lads are saying it will be enough, but is it ever enough?..

What ever you do, find someone thats into BMW's, and they'll tell you everything. Best of luck

matty
28-02-13, 08:12
In my opinion, if youre up for a big job like changing the engine, and haven't bought one yet,then why not to look arround for a bigger one? from my own experience and my friends, 2.8 is much better, it has more trottle response, more torque, and also it has upgraded air intake. Some of these lads are saying it will be enough, but is it ever enough?..

What ever you do, find someone thats into BMW's, and they'll tell you everything. Best of luck

ya was hoping to get the 2.8 but i never see any around but if i ever do see one ill have to have it..
ill be going to barrys motorsport on saturday for a few bits and some advice cheers :)

DaveM-sport
28-02-13, 13:53

Not unless somebody has fitted one to it. The standard 2.8 inlet manifolds are very restrictive. Robs the engine of around 20bhp or more depending what other bits are done to it.

matty
28-02-13, 20:41
soooooo ya big problem..went at wires today and now it wont start....bad idea, i cut the wires going to the door for central locking,the wires going the the airbag box in the back,wires going to the sunroof and wires for speakers and lights inside the car. anything there i shouldnt have cut? :huh:

gpparts
28-02-13, 21:57
If you definitely only cut these, than it shouldn't affect car starting.. Recheck and make sure you didn't cut any sensors. And also check fuses.. If you were working at the back of car, maybe u disconnected fuel pump by accident. See if it pumps the fuel when ignition on..

Its annoying when something like that happens, I know the feeling :D

matty
01-03-13, 07:48
If you definitely only cut these, than it shouldn't affect car starting.. Recheck and make sure you didn't cut any sensors. And also check fuses.. If you were working at the back of car, maybe u disconnected fuel pump by accident. See if it pumps the fuel when ignition on..

Its annoying when something like that happens, I know the feeling :D

cheers man ill have a look at them :) as i said its my first project and im only a learner..this stuff it bound to happen :p

matty
01-03-13, 16:56
ok so i didnt disconnect any wires going to the fuel pump...the car isnt even trying to turn over it just makes a click noise when i turn the key and its not because the battery is dead :huh:

tommy300zx
01-03-13, 20:59
Did u charge the battery? My bmw doesnt start when its been sitting awhile, clicking noise radio still works and all but i still have 2 jump it or charge the battery,

matty
01-03-13, 22:06
Did u charge the battery? My bmw doesnt start when its been sitting awhile, clicking noise radio still works and all but i still have 2 jump it or charge the battery,

battery is charged but ill try jumping it anyways..dont know what the fook is going on with it :mad:

matty
02-03-13, 13:06
small update didnt do much just got an omp seat but it has the wrong rail. stripped down the bumpers and cable tied them on. and took the lenses off the lights. will be giving barrys motorsport a visit during the week to get lowering springs spacers and other few bits :) sorry for the small pics havnt a clue how to make them bigger :confused:

Ivor-BMW
02-03-13, 13:40
Turn on ignition. And then turn on your wipers ir they moving at normal speeds then your battery is ok. Clicking noise could be bad battery connection.

matty
02-03-13, 17:48
Turn on ignition. And then turn on your wipers ir they moving at normal speeds then your battery is ok. Clicking noise could be bad battery connection.

cheers lad ill check that out tomorrow :D

another small update for today,ended up going out to barrys motorsport so i got a few goodies..should be going back out there next week as well to get coil overs :cool: also found a side pipe exhaust so thats going on her :D

gpparts
02-03-13, 18:53
And check wires on your starter. And also earth wire located somewhere on the side of your engine. My one snapped once, had same clicking noise and the car wouldn't start.

matty
02-03-13, 20:33
And check wires on your starter. And also earth wire located somewhere on the side of your engine. My one snapped once, had same clicking noise and the car wouldn't start.

thanks for the all the help lads ;)

matty
03-03-13, 13:38
from what i can see im after doing something to the EWS anyone know how i can bypass it or disable it??

gpparts
03-03-13, 20:13
from what i can see im after doing something to the EWS anyone know how i can bypass it or disable it??

Try reading about it here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536505

matty
03-03-13, 21:00
Try reading about it here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536505

cheers lad but i got it half way fixed now its cranking now but the fuel pump isnt working...

matty
06-03-13, 08:02
so got bord of doing nothing to the car so i took out the dash to sort all the wiring and made a panel for it..its gonna stay key start for now but that will all change later on down the line

matty
03-04-13, 15:47
small update .. got two weeks off school so small bit done. went out to barrys motorsport and got a set of fk coil overs, sound lads out there they are :)
must get the arches rolled next and will hopefully be swapping the wheels that are on it for a set of old bmw bbs :) not too happy with the back tho its up a bit to high for my liking but after a spin or two (after i get it running again..still havnt solved that problem :mad: ) she should drop down a nice bit :)

matty
17-04-13, 14:17
nothing much done to this..borrowed an arch roller off barrys and got all the arches rolled. i wouldnt recommend rolling a rusty arch..it felt more like tinfoil and it just broke off as soon as the roller went near it :p anyone in cork have a silver 4 door drivers wing?

matty
10-06-13, 20:49
nothing much done because of exams but a lot will be done over the summer i hope :) during the week i got the windows out and put in pollycarb

matty
14-09-13, 20:45
soooo since i started working i got a good bit done .. got the diff welded, cut out the boot floor, got a set off bbs, got two wings and m3 skirts from chucky and finally got myself a 2.5 lump which came with everything i need for the swap so will be at the car every evening to try and have it ready for the next days drifting at watergrasshill :D did a small bit of freshening up with a few spray cans of satin black :cool:

leemc180
27-05-14, 00:00
Theres only a couple of hp difference look it up all good going engines

thats a dual vanos engine.
you will have fun fitting it to an e36

matty
28-05-14, 18:38
yea very quickly realised that after we bought it ! this project has gone to right shite anyways the car is now a shell sitting out my back and all the bits iv bought are after going into a 323i i bought at christmas time