PDA

View Full Version : modified prop questian

darren C
06-01-13, 22:53
well lads im putting a z32 box into my car and i want to know would single prop be better or keep carrier bearing ? i braught it to shaft tech in charliville and he says single is too long.
any info appreciated
its a 180sx bye the way

BaileyR32
07-01-13, 00:15
Keep the carrier bearing, puts too much strain on the gearbox otherwise..
Just get the 1st end of the shaft adjusted in length.. A mate of mine got it done for a RB box in a 180 with the SR engine in it and its perfect.. The shaft may of been balanced too but not 100% on that, can check if you want..

pepsterx
07-01-13, 00:19
As said above, deffo keep bearing and make sure it is balanced or there will be vibration at speed and eventually the box will very much shit itself !

BaileyR32
07-01-13, 00:38
As said above, deffo keep bearing and make sure it is balanced or there will be vibration at speed and eventually the box will very much shit itself !

Knew it was balanced! :P thank u for confirming for me too :)

grimix180
07-01-13, 00:54
go one piece less rotating mass and a proper balanced shaft wont vibrate

Dunnedriftin
07-01-13, 01:02
go one piece less rotating mass and a proper balanced shaft wont vibrate

Wrong !!

Shaft will vibrate like fuck... long shaft, spinning at high rpm's will flex, vibrate & put alot of strain on the gearbox!

DaveM-sport
07-01-13, 01:24
You'd need an extremely light and strong shaft for a one-piece.

Any one-piece shaft made out of usual prop-shaft steel will start whirling if its not very short (such as your gearbox being nearly as far back as the carrier bearing)

Balancing isn't actually that critical though to be honest once the weld is anyway uniform around the shaft. Much more important for it to be straight and any universals to be on the same plane. Get the universals aligned wrong and the car or any vehicle the prop is in will vibrate like fuck.

crossy
07-01-13, 03:58
I Got a straight drive shaft from drive shaft services in Dublin for my 1jz s14. Its strong and balanced and everything. I know a few guys that used carrier bearings in huge horsepower cars. The carrier bearing was pulled from the floor if it doesnt line up perfect.

darren C
07-01-13, 18:07
I dont know what to do. Single peace will be 45 inchs seems very long

BaileyR32
07-01-13, 20:58
Seriously dude, keep the carrier bearing...

crossy
07-01-13, 22:27
Ye 45 is fair long mine wasnt that long at all

darren C
07-01-13, 22:30
ya it is.. ill go with the double shaft id say with carrier