PDA

View Full Version : diagnose this noise

richie
12-12-09, 18:58
can any 1 give me a hand wit this?im trying find out what this noise is its hard diagnose where its coming from it sounds like the right side of the engine at the front but any info would be greatly appreciated. i put it up on youtube so ya could hear it. ill describe it ya cant hear it when the car is idling but when ya give it a rev its easy hear. it doesnt seem to affect the performance
thanks in advnce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKl48d084k

Dunnedriftin
12-12-09, 19:02
dont know much about SR20's..

does it only happen when cold?

my guess it is VVT, they do give trouble / rattle in these..

richie
12-12-09, 19:24
it came into it when i was driving it today and is in it since.its not there just when ya start it or that its there all the time when ya rev it. i took off the rocker cover i taught it mite have been a broke rocker but it isnt that. the timing chain felt a bit loose maybe thats the way they are im not sure but it could have something to do wit it.

way2fastforu
12-12-09, 19:33
na thats not vvt sure its non vvt sr in the vid....how much slack roughly was in the timin chain??

richie
12-12-09, 19:39
ya could lift it up and down at the top between the cams it wasnt tight there. but it seemed good and tight at each side of the cogs on the cams. its just like slack between the cams. ya could move it up and down about ten millimetres roughly. how do i no if its vvt or not

way2fastforu
12-12-09, 19:45
its not vvt cos there would be a big bulge stickin out of the front left side of the rocker cover to accomadate the bigger cam sprocket thats on vvt engines...i seen ur rocker cover in the vid its not vvt engine...bout 10mm or so slack between the cams is normal enuf if u turn over the engine by turnin the crank it'll tension then go loose etc etc...is the chain guide that sits over the 2 cams missin or anythin??

richie
12-12-09, 19:51
does that sit over the chain between the 2 cams. thats there if it is it anyway.

way2fastforu
12-12-09, 19:53
ya thats the thing im on bout...u sure none of the rocker arms are broken???or nothins come looks an got stuck??

richie
12-12-09, 20:07
no everything seems grand up on top. all the rockers are grand cams are grand. it has me totally confused. does the chain slide through the chain guide or turn under it

way2fastforu
12-12-09, 20:10
it slides under the top guide to stop it jumpin off the cams...thats a strange one...u 100% nothins broken or loose under the cover???or is ur ps fluid low??ur ps pump could be makin noise if it is...maybe big ends too??

richie
12-12-09, 20:13
nothing that i could see nyway everything seemed intact. there was nothing stuck in there either. i dont think its ps anyway it didnt seem to be coming from there

way2fastforu
12-12-09, 20:16
maybe big ends then man does sound like it could be big end rattle now that i listened to it again

richie
12-12-09, 20:22
i it was big end rattle it ould surely be there when the car is idling. its not there till i rev it up about 3000 rpm and im narly sure it goes aay when i get higher up the range but dont want to rev it higher now in case

way2fastforu
12-12-09, 20:24
ah it depends iv heard cars that sound fine on idle an wen ya rev they'll rattle

richie
12-12-09, 20:31
ive been checking the net most people have a noise like it and sat its vvt but a few are saying tits timing chain rattle whats this

way2fastforu
12-12-09, 20:32
no its not vvt man sure ur engine doesnt have it...id assume timin chain rattle is loose/stretched chain?

Dunnedriftin
12-12-09, 20:35
Had another listen, check your PS pump / fluid as said above...

i doubt its the AC pump if it has any?

only other thing i can think of is the big ends are wankd!

but i dont know much about SR20s tho..

richie
12-12-09, 20:40
there is hundreds videos on you tube wit the same noise im goin through forums now to check it out. very one saying its timing chain rattle but no on says whats causing it or how to fix it. some engines locked up in 6 months others are still running with it so i dunno

way2fastforu
12-12-09, 22:47
msg the nissan doctor an ask him to listen to the vid an see if anyone gona no its him

SR20Eric
12-12-09, 23:15
hate to be the bearer of bad news but the big ends are gone mate..

gem-s13
13-12-09, 01:03
do not start that engine again ur big ends are fucked lad u have probibly fucked ur crank to if uv been reving the shit out of it listining to it, what were u doing when u first heard the noise cornering hard, doing rings, slidin???

podge
13-12-09, 03:39
sounds very like big ends a me

richie
13-12-09, 05:44
i was just driving straight was all no rings or diffing. wasnt goin very hard.the noise is coming from the top of the engine though at the front and only in mid range revs. at low and high revs it goes

nissan_doctor
13-12-09, 20:08
Sounds like the big end on number one is gone.

If there was any issue with the chain being loose it would be most noticable at idle.

As said, your car doesn't have VVT.

So it sounds like bad news unfortunatly.

Still cheaper and better in the long term to repair then buy a second hand SR.

Kaleb180
13-12-09, 21:44
Sounds to me like the big ends .... defffo !

richie
13-12-09, 21:49
thanks for the help lads. looks like its time to get stripping her down

insejn
13-12-09, 23:53
sorry to hear that (literally) lad :(

Dunnedriftin
13-12-09, 23:55
Well lad, this is the perfect time to build a bullet proof engine with some internal work and a nice bit of power!

may aswell while your at it tbh!