PDA

View Full Version : Wet Carpet in drivers footwell??????

Scamper
08-12-09, 23:40
Over the last week or two i have noticed that the carpet in the drivers footwell and the matt are wet, sometimes very wet depending on how bad it has rained.

At first i thought it was a hole in the floor under the carpet, but it was suggested to me today it could actually be coming in through the door/window.

Im not really sure what to do?

Any ideas what it is lads and how to slove it?

Thanks
Scamper

gem-s13
08-12-09, 23:42
what car is it

titey86
08-12-09, 23:44
could be your door rubbers or your window seals,side or front,
best bet wud be to get a bucket of water and try narrow it down i suppose:)

Scamper
08-12-09, 23:47
180sx

did that this evening, no luck

gem-s13
08-12-09, 23:52
is it wet after u drive it or after rain and parked up have u got front wing liners in it??

sbradley
08-12-09, 23:55
this is just a sugestion...put ur car somewhere it can dry out and then get one of ur mates to pour a jug of water around da door seals/window seals /bulkhead while u sit in da car and see if u notice it comin in...could be a gromet missin down low in da bulkhead

gem-s13
08-12-09, 23:59
id say it is comeing in around the wireing loom on the drivers side of the bulk head up over the gogo pedal the rubbers are always spliting and poping out of place also if u have no wing liners(wide wings??) the water will be trown strait off the wheel up against that rubber

Chuck_g
09-12-09, 00:07
Either above, or your scuttle drains are blocked!! Either that or ur interior rad is fuked!! But if the car is behaving normal its rain getting in!

Scamper
09-12-09, 00:19
I think we solved the problem, no arch lining and a big gromet missing, and wide wings, water pissing in! jus over the accelerator

bnollie
09-12-09, 21:32
if not try the windscreen i had a problem with a civic before leaked water through the rubbers in the windscreen

Scamper
22-09-10, 20:55
I sealed the whole where the wireing loom comes in, and car is parked up, yet some water is still getting in, any more ideas, its driving me mad, it seems to be getting in somewhere above the pedals but below the window, around the right side of the steering column, but its not coming in around the steering column!!

Seamie tc
22-09-10, 21:03
does it have a sunroof.

Scamper
22-09-10, 21:11
No it doesnt man

Fredericks Balls
22-09-10, 21:28
Fuck that reminds me her S14 is the same. Drivers side only, only happens when its raining. I dont believe its happening when its stationary (parked in the rain).

On the way back from the north saturday she reckoned it was even trickling/splashing a little on her foot but that could have been becasue she was in the height of it as she got her high heels wet :rolleyes::D

Sorry to rob the info but ill check those things too!

serious tom
22-09-10, 21:32
water is leaking in both front footwells in my 180.
.. soo annying!

I lifted the carpets to get all the sound deadening material to get them to dry.

Scamper
22-09-10, 21:33
No problem man, its just fair frustrating!

wally!!
22-09-10, 21:44
Your wings man, had the same problem when i had my 180 but it was on the pass side.... check them!!!

Scamper
22-09-10, 21:49
Wat about my wings?? how is that affecting it do ya think wally?

wally!!
22-09-10, 22:33
You should take one off and see if there is a hole for wires or stuff, bet its running with them!

Scamper
22-09-10, 22:35
I did and there was, and i filled it, and still fucking leaking

Jerry C
22-09-10, 22:40
maybe thats the cars way of telling you slow down scamper???? bit like your body trying to tell you give up contact sports!!! how's the shoulder anyways?? think glassman could stick yet as another nickname

Scamper
22-09-10, 22:43
Aw i dunno jerry, rite now i dont see the end of this 180 project ever happening, soooo much to be done, its at that stage.

As for the shoulder, ill live, wasnt as bad as first expected, still bloody sore tho.

johnbro
22-09-10, 22:53
Have you tried sitting in while someone hoses it, maybe take a seat out and pull the carpet back, a get a torch ya should see something.
Water travels through cars ya'd be surprised where leaks can come form
Hope ya get it sorted

Or as said above interior rad

Scamper
22-09-10, 22:56
Bottom of the dash is out, carpet is out, seats are out, all trim is out, it is bare as can be.
Sat in it today with the hose beating off the exterior from all angles for a good few minutes.
Stopped, couldnt see anything, then 5 min later low and behold, water starts appearing, but from under the rubber mat that is all around the steering column, under carpet.
Driving me fucking mad

jdmjimmy
22-09-10, 23:00
is it brake or clutch fluid?? cant memba if its the kind of setup on a 180 that can leak into the footwell but just check it out..

Scamper
22-09-10, 23:01
Its def not either of the above u said jimmy, have that checked, its 100% water

Dunnedriftin
22-09-10, 23:33
Rear window washer leaking from the pipe going to the back of the car? (thats if it runs in the car, i duno?)

Scamper
22-09-10, 23:46
Nope dont have any in the rear!

Fredericks Balls
23-09-10, 18:08
Sorry again to hijack this but no point starting another thread. I just had a look and I can see light from the footwell. Its where the loom heads out to the wings/wheel arch. Its a tiny opening and I dunno if it could allow such an amount of water in but im probably wrong.

Car hasnt moved since last night so I was hoping to see it dry but its still soaked. But in saying that anyone in north Dublin will know how bad the rain was, she drove through a lot of large puddles on the way home so that may be why its still wet?

Rear window washer leaking from the pipe going to the back of the car? (thats if it runs in the car, i duno?)

Is that the pipe that runs along the drivers side of the car from the drivers footwell? Maybe ill check that too if the rain stops

Scamper I hope you find your issue, its a pain in the hole! :(

Scamper
23-09-10, 18:25
well i can understand when ur driving, as the wheel would be throwing water threw that hole, where as mine has been parked up the last 4 months, and the water still gets in

doyler
23-09-10, 23:08
u try pour'n water over the windscreen? heard of a few silvias dat the sealnt went it used 2 drip down near da fusebox of all places.take da pillar cover off and try it

Dunnedriftin
23-09-10, 23:39
Is that the pipe that runs along the drivers side of the car from the drivers footwell? Maybe ill check that too if the rain stops

Yeah id amagine so anyway, dont know what else it could be. I had it happen to me in VW golf, and it was wraped up with wires in a casing so was even harder to find the leak...

Scamper
24-09-10, 17:02
u try pour'n water over the windscreen? heard of a few silvias dat the sealnt went it used 2 drip down near da fusebox of all places.take da pillar cover off and try it

Did you read the rest of the thread :mad:

Mick K
24-09-10, 17:03
Happens me all the time dude so I had to stop bringing damp yokes in the car!

Was costing me a fortune with the esb using a dehumidifier each week!

lukeworx
25-09-10, 11:58
we had an old merc that had a similar problem & never sorted it
but came across info saying theres a little gasket between the brake booster & firewall goes & lets water into the footwell
suppose if the rubber seal at the windscreen end of the bonnet is gone
& that booster gasket is gone 2 it could let a lot of rain water in maybe?
i dunno though bout nissans but seems a common problem on the classics

hoopsbhoy
25-09-10, 12:42
Had a problem like this is the gfs car, literally pools of water when it rained heavy, even with car just parked up, after hours of searching she brought it to a mechanic, he spent 2 hours and couldnt find a thing. Few weeks later had nct on car, noticed a crack in the passenger side brake light, so stuck coloured tape over it. NExt week it pissed rain "and dont laugh" NO WATER.

I actually couldnt believe it so i took the tape back off and it fuckin got soaked again, still cannot find or think of a way its gettin to footwell.

I know its a bit far fetched but point i'm making is it could be fucking getting in anywhere, when its not the obvious places, prob just trickling along a little ridge somewhere. I feel your pain though

Scamper
02-10-10, 16:52
Checked all the holes i sealed up, and they are bone dry, and after the rain today, low and behold the floor is.............fucking drownded again :confused::confused::mad::mad:

Fredericks Balls
25-11-10, 15:19
Bump. Scamper did you get this sorted?

Had a good look at the hole in the shell where the loom goes to the fuse box. Grommit was off and wrecked. Sealed it all back up properly and left it. Checked the car last night and the floor is wet.

1. The spongy bit under the carpet was wringing so i basically folded it up onto the drivers seat to let air in to dry it, but is still wet a week later (not wringing though). Just wonder is the water in the footwell whats maybe seaping off the carpet...

2. any other problem areas. S14 for reference. Ill have a good look around at the weekend

Scamper
25-11-10, 21:27
Havent got a chance to look at it in the last few weeks man, been up the walls at work, im hoping to get it sorted straight after xmas

discosucks
09-12-11, 13:48
Mine has just started doing this now. driver footwell was wet but the back footwell had a pool of water in it. god dam.

s14a.

niallf18
09-12-11, 21:32
this was happening on my s14 lad you might have a different problem but mine was leaking water in and around th back driver side light and filling the pocket with water and it was travelling up under the back seats and lodging in my drivers footwell, only figured this out when i took out the interior. worth a look....

silvia-dan
10-12-11, 08:05
had this problem on my first booted cam scamp . now i figured it out in a few hours . but what you will have to do is check all the pannel joints in and around the are its coming in you think . and any joint or even where the bonnet hinge's are tiger seal them up and i dont mean smather them in it either . but check the likes of the wheel arch and around the bottom of the piller and so on for the small gaps that might be letting it in . on the cam that time it was coming in around the door hinges . and i know you might not like the sound of it but if you do find the leak and fix it theirs no harm in drilling a small hole where the water gathers under the carpet so your not dragging a swimming pool around with ya

paddyb01
05-08-13, 18:52
did you ever find out where it was coming in, my car was parked in the rain and its doing the same thing now:(