PDA

View Full Version : Better power from a 4a-ge

Twincam-Collins
01-08-12, 08:17
Well lads, theres a standard 4a-ge in my ae86. Just wonderinjg whats a good way to get more power out of her without going to mad. Already has a new manifold and exhaust. Any help appreciated:)

pinny
01-08-12, 09:12
Big power on them is expensive imo !
Cams, throttle bodies good place to start. Lightened flywheel helps them rev a lot more freely.

Kensti
01-08-12, 10:38
I can vouch for that! i rebuilt mine and got 150.3 WHP and 125 WFT-LBS for about 2.5K in total....woulda got bit more if i had gone throttle bodies and better piggy back ECU...have a look http://www.ae86irl.com/forum/showthread.php?44364-White-87-Twincam-Project&highlight=

not great figures compared to what lads are at on here with sr's and that but its not bad for a 4age!
maybe a swap to a 20v would be just as cheap as doing work to a 4age...?? but imo keep the 4age!!

1-JAY-Z
01-08-12, 10:48
20v conversion is relatively cheap nowadays and best bang for your buck staying N/A should see 155bhp+ on basic set up, more than enough to have fun on the roads with, really really miss mine. made 164bhp on standard internals just basic breathing mods and ecu,

danny86
01-08-12, 11:00
ive a 4age turbo in my 86.. its makin good power id say prob around 200bhp plenty of power for road ae86..

im thinking of sellin the full setup to go sr20..

pm me if interested

japman2202
01-08-12, 11:37
N/a 4ages are expensive but great fun. Itbs, cams and a stand alone ecu will give you good power

20vees
01-08-12, 11:47
at one time i had a levin ae111 20v at with an exhaust system it made 149 hp at the wheels , not bad for a engine that was 11years old at the time. dont forget to baffle the sump if your going 20v and put in race big end bearings as its always a good idea imo

martycturbo
01-08-12, 19:28
make a 7age, 1.8 avensis engines are plentyful and give great low torque,, done one a few years ago for a mate,, still going strong after lots of drifting,, its running on twin 40s aswell

Twincam-Collins
01-08-12, 22:34
Serious thanks for the info lads. Gotta get to thinking what to do now =\ haha also face palm for me posted this in the wrong section. Again huge thanks =)

stevek
03-08-12, 16:20
make a 7age, 1.8 avensis engines are plentyful and give great low torque,, done one a few years ago for a mate,, still going strong after lots of drifting,, its running on twin 40s aswell

whats needed to do this??? :D

docco86
04-08-12, 07:54
Buy my turbo engine for some big power ;)

stevek
04-08-12, 17:36
Buy my turbo engine for some big power ;)

i think cams should stay na myself!! but what power is that 4agte running??:cool:

seanie R.33
04-08-12, 19:07
any pic of the cam?go 20 valve wish i had done this with mine you'd have good fun car!4aze can be bought fairly handy too!

martycturbo
04-08-12, 21:54
whats needed to do this??? :D

7afe block, 4age head, set of vernier pulleys, porsche 944 t-belt as the deck height of the 7a is more than the 4a,, you can use the metal avensis headgasket aswell,, modify a waterpipe,, all the holes for the 4a mounts are already there and they bolt straight on,,block bolts to the t50 no bother too apart from 1 bolt,, have to use the avensis flywheel too as 4a boltholes different,,, if i could get somebody to machine up a set of gudgeon pins id have the 4a pistons on aswell as the avensis ones are fairly domed and you loose a bit of compression here,, not sure of what injectors or brain to use though as the one i did runs on carbs with a sierra distributor and vauxhall igniton,, was done a good few years back and im sure that someone would know now what extra fueling and brain would suit the bigger engine,,

s00045732
05-08-12, 18:49
Look into a different intake, 7mgte or even a small port intake bit of fiddlin proberly but i wouldnt think anything serious. Do a bit of searchin on the web im sure youll find power figures but its definly something id be looking into and cheap. Flywheel also does make a difference in them everything else has been said but if your goin to get throttle bodies stand alone etc i think you should look at a 20v conversion getting cheaper ahead to do

James Doyle
07-08-12, 22:54
Bike carbs just as good as the likes of jenvey throttle bodies and much better than twin 40s or 45s better throtlle response sounds better and easier to start on cold mornings had r1 carbs on a 2 Ltr 16v vw engine in a mk1 golf the response from the throttle with the bike carbs was a 100 times better than the twin carb setup they gave more power and a smoother power band bogg bros in the uk will build you a manifold supply carbs and jet them so you can bolt on start up but will probably need tuning on the rollers prices are fairly good too

nikkisixx69
07-08-12, 23:05

no no no, weld 2 4age's together to make a 32valve 8age :P

stevek
09-08-12, 10:08
no no no, weld 2 4age's together to make a 32valve 8age :P

veyron style!! :D

stevek
09-08-12, 10:08
Bike carbs just as good as the likes of jenvey throttle bodies and much better than twin 40s or 45s better throtlle response sounds better and easier to start on cold mornings had r1 carbs on a 2 Ltr 16v vw engine in a mk1 golf the response from the throttle with the bike carbs was a 100 times better than the twin carb setup they gave more power and a smoother power band bogg bros in the uk will build you a manifold supply carbs and jet them so you can bolt on start up but will probably need tuning on the rollers prices are fairly good too

are bike carbs better than using efi and throttle bodies?

James Doyle
09-08-12, 18:56
They would be a lot better than the standard injection system they wouldn't be far behind proper injection throttle bodies like jenveys I'd start with the head if your on a budget take it off get it ported polished cams springs retainers valves etc all uprated at least it will be done and then you can save for your pistons and rods good headwork will always bring out the most in your engine after doing the pistons rods etc it will breathe a lot better for jenvey bodies are about a grand brand new and then ya need a stand alone ecu which is another grand new bike carbs you could have up and runnin for 5 or 600 yo yos and use Msd ignition there an American company a lot of people in the states use there products for big power v8s with carbs.. Also if you wanted to drive your car in the mean time try pick up a second hand head to start work on it also you will have no limiter with carbs you could over rev it and stick a rod through the block and bend your valves I learnt this the hard way so it's worth while gettin a limiter on it I think omex do them

stevek
10-08-12, 07:49
They would be a lot better than the standard injection system they wouldn't be far behind proper injection throttle bodies like jenveys I'd start with the head if your on a budget take it off get it ported polished cams springs retainers valves etc all uprated at least it will be done and then you can save for your pistons and rods good headwork will always bring out the most in your engine after doing the pistons rods etc it will breathe a lot better for jenvey bodies are about a grand brand new and then ya need a stand alone ecu which is another grand new bike carbs you could have up and runnin for 5 or 600 yo yos and use Msd ignition there an American company a lot of people in the states use there products for big power v8s with carbs.. Also if you wanted to drive your car in the mean time try pick up a second hand head to start work on it also you will have no limiter with carbs you could over rev it and stick a rod through the block and bend your valves I learnt this the hard way so it's worth while gettin a limiter on it I think omex do them

thats sounds very interesting!! i am driving a cam you brought in james...was told it has cams but im not sure...reg 87ky3397...

James Doyle
10-08-12, 23:37
Im not from Kerry I know of the lad your on about has a few old toyotas on donedeal just have the same name

20vees
10-08-12, 23:47
put cams into her and get it mapped ,thats without going too mad.. otherwise pick any of the other suggestions . my advice pick up the phone ring either westwood engineering(martin) or tdp (robbie) and see what they can do for you with the budget you have thats fastest and easiest way forward or if you know someone who builds cars for motorsport thats near to you.

James Doyle
11-08-12, 07:12
put cams into her and get it mapped ,thats without going too mad.. otherwise pick any of the other suggestions . my advice pick up the phone ring either westwood engineering(martin) or tdp (robbie) and see what they can do for you with the budget you have thats fastest and easiest way forward or if you know someone who builds cars for motorsport thats near to you.

I wouldn't ring either pointless In payin 2 or 3 hundred euros to get it mapped only after doin that take my advice and get the bike carbs first do away with the injection system you won't be sorry when you here the rasp off them